Best/Worst "Under the influence" performances.

Facekicker

Half the time people cock up onstage is just posted under 'drunk', what makes you assume that it's cuz they're drunk or fucked, maybe they just ballsed up? Half these lot fuckin' lie anyway, in their biographies and that, we believe what we wanna believe. I mean i can imagine droppin' an E or doing a line and playing but what about all these stories of like 'Jimi Hendrix did 5 hits of acid for the Isle of Wight', it makes me wonder if these people have ever done this stuff before, last time i did 5 hits of acid i made a point of not fuckin' going anywhere, chiefly because i knew I wouldn't make it far. I sat down with a pen and paper and tried to write and i couldn't even form letters...and you're telling me these lot play fuckin' 90 minute gigs THAT mullered?

It's different if you're a drummer like Moonie cuz like, you can get ratted but then you play with such force and energy that you just sweat all the booze out of you by the time the gigs over. Thing about being absolutely fannied on booze, as in pass levels of fucked is the first 30 to 40 mins you'll actually be reasonably functional, then once you're behind the kit and pounding you get to sweating it out but do you really expect me to believe that all these guitar players were like, high as fuckin' kites doin' the business? Bollocks.

Quite frankly most of these rock n roll tales are a load of bollocks and need to be taken with a pinch of salt. or a punch. There's elements of truth to em but a lot of embroidery too. Morrison is the worst of em, simply because they are afforded the leeway cuz not a lot is known about his life. Keith Richards I'm almost positive a lot of the stuff he says is bollocks.

• Like 2

It still amazes me that he lived for six more years after this. He looks like he could drop dead at any moment yet delivers a spine tingling performance. One of their best performances for sure. Even Layne's screw ups are part of the charm because he's really putting some serious emotion into it.
  • Like 2

Half the time people cock up onstage is just posted under 'drunk', what makes you assume that it's cuz they're drunk or fucked, maybe they just ballsed up? Half these lot fuckin' lie anyway, in their biographies and that, we believe what we wanna believe. I mean i can imagine droppin' an E or doing a line and playing but what about all these stories of like 'Jimi Hendrix did 5 hits of acid for the Isle of Wight', it makes me wonder if these people have ever done this stuff before, last time i did 5 hits of acid i made a point of not fuckin' going anywhere, chiefly because i knew I wouldn't make it far. I sat down with a pen and paper and tried to write and i couldn't even form letters...and you're telling me these lot play fuckin' 90 minute gigs THAT mullered?

It's different if you're a drummer like Moonie cuz like, you can get ratted but then you play with such force and energy that you just sweat all the booze out of you by the time the gigs over. Thing about being absolutely fannied on booze, as in pass levels of fucked is the first 30 to 40 mins you'll actually be reasonably functional, then once you're behind the kit and pounding you get to sweating it out but do you really expect me to believe that all these guitar players were like, high as fuckin' kites doin' the business? Bollocks.

Quite frankly most of these rock n roll tales are a load of bollocks and need to be taken with a pinch of salt. or a punch. There's elements of truth to em but a lot of embroidery too. Morrison is the worst of em, simply because they are afforded the leeway cuz not a lot is known about his life. Keith Richards I'm almost positive a lot of the stuff he says is bollocks.

A lot of it is all image. See Bez up there, there's no faking that shit though.

Richards has gotten incredible mileage out of his heroin period in the 70's. Here's a genuine clip of him in the horrors though, deep in the junk during this period but what makes it all the worse is that before the show he got a phone call telling him his baby son had been found dead.

It's etched all over his face. He said he was in such a fucked up place from the heroin and in shock from the news of his son that he doesn't even know how or why he went onstage, something about it being the only place where he still had a bit of control over his life. Sad stuff. In his biography he says he is haunted by his sons death and that he feels terrible guilt for not being there.

Hell back in the 70's when I would see Rod Stewart and the Faces they would come onstage with wine bottles and drink the whole time. Rod and the band still rocked it for two hours and never screwed up a song.

I guess maybe some musicians can't hold their drugs or drinking and some can.