Stephen Fry on god

Lithium

He has a point, but... I don't know. I believe there is some sort of a higher power, but the question "is there a god" is as old as mankind, so there's nothing new I could say about the subject. If you believe, then believe. If you don't, don't. Just don't be a dick about your beliefs. We get to know the truth when we die. Try to be a decent human being until then.

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 2

I like him - I like his shows - but he does speak rubbish now and then. Awhile back he equated Russia's stance on gay rights to the Holocaust!

The thing about drawing parrallels is that often they're done in regards to highlighting a certain principle as opposed to trying to suggest that two entities are identical.

• Like 1

I hope God tells him to bugger off.

I like him - I like his shows - but he does speak rubbish now and then. Awhile back he equated Russia's stance on gay rights to the Holocaust!

The thing about drawing parrallels is that often they're done in regards to highlighting a certain principle as opposed to trying to suggest that two entities are identical.

The teaching of, people not being gay basically, in Russian classrooms, is the same as the systematic genocide of six million. Let's just say, I have heard of better analogies.

The teaching of, people not being gay basically, in Russian classrooms, is the same as the systematic genocide of six million. Let's just say, I have heard of better analogies.

I've not heard that whole thing so i dunno. Perhaps a more cunty thing he did was ditching Rik Mayall in the middle of some tour.

just give them more time to release their full potential. they're already trying to ban driving for gay people

http://www.stpetersburgnews.net/index.php/sid/229271559

I've always found him to be a self satisfied cunt who overestimates his own intellect.

I disagree, he's perfectly likeable but the media portrays him as something close to Britian's Most Intelligent Man, which he doesn't refute. He may be incredibly well educated, but that's academia (and his incredible fortune to have opportunities such as prestigious education available to him), not intelligence. Other brains are available.

• Like 2

I've always found him to be a self satisfied cunt who overestimates his own intellect.

I disagree, he's perfectly likeable but the media portrays him as something close to Britian's Most Intelligent Man, which he doesn't refute. He may be incredibly well educated, but that's academia (and his incredible fortune to have opportunities such as prestigious education available to him), not intelligence. Other brains are available.

I'm sure you're right. He does allow himself to play the pawn in their game, though, so my impression is that he's either too dim to realize he's a pawn or he's just that much of an attention whore, or both.

I'm sure you're right. He does allow himself to play the pawn in their game, though, so my impression is that he's either too dim to realize he's a pawn or he's just that much of an attention whore, or both.

Or he's making a living?

:lol:

No, what i was trying to say was, look, he's a sharp cookie right? So he gets paid to like, pontificate basically, whoose gonna turn that down? And like, you gotta remember, people like you and Grace and what have you, you're clever fuckers, you can kinda...differentiate between, OK, this is sort of like...sheer intellect and the other is like, academia being rode upon..but it serves a purpose y'know? For a certain kind of person a lot of the shit he says is very illuminating, it has the potential to encourage a lot of people who otherwise might not to pick up a book or take an interest in 'x' clever kiddies thing.

And thinking about it, yeah, I'd say he probably does need the money, i can't imagine he's some kinda millionaire or anything, starred in a few comedy shows, made a couple of films, wrote a few books...certainly not filthy rich unless he comes from a money background...and even if he is reasonably well off, you do have to work to maintain that shit.

I think it's REALLY important for popular culture to have these kinds of people in em, people with something to say, sharp fuckers, it's refreshing. Even if it is like, just him showing off in a sense, it's almost always like...y'know, substantial information, it's not like he's goin' on about how Rihannas bra popped off during a show or something.

In a sense i think some of you, perhaps, suffer from something similar to Stephen in that, you think everyones as clever as you lot are and can look at people like him and tell the difference between him and a certified Albert Einstein but like, you miss over the fact that your average fuckin' bloke on the sofa brushing wotsit crumbs off his stained vest has the potential to be enlightened by someone like Stephen...and on that level I'd say he's invaluable to our culture.

This thing of demanding genius is kinda weird.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

No, what i was trying to say was, look, he's a sharp cookie right? So he gets paid to like, pontificate basically, whoose gonna turn that down? And like, you gotta remember, people like you and Grace and what have you, you're clever fuckers, you can kinda...differentiate between, OK, this is sort of like...sheer intellect and the other is like, academia being rode upon..but it serves a purpose y'know? For a certain kind of person a lot of the shit he says is very illuminating, it has the potential to encourage a lot of people who otherwise might not to pick up a book or take an interest in 'x' clever kiddies thing.

And thinking about it, yeah, I'd say he probably does need the money, i can't imagine he's some kinda millionaire or anything, starred in a few comedy shows, made a couple of films, wrote a few books...certainly not filthy rich unless he comes from a money background...and even if he is reasonably well off, you do have to work to maintain that shit.

I think it's REALLY important for popular culture to have these kinds of people in em, people with something to say, sharp fuckers, it's refreshing. Even if it is like, just him showing off in a sense, it's almost always like...y'know, substantial information, it's not like he's goin' on about how Rihannas bra popped off during a show or something.

Yeah, I get your point. I just wish our public intellectuals emphasized the intellectual part a little more and the publicity part a little less. But nature of the beast and all that, I guess. I suppose if the most clever people you come across are on the television, you're fucked anyway. :lol:

Still, I feel like the kind of thought he'll inspire goes like, "Hey, maybe I'll learn a few random facts about shit so I can shoot off at the mouth and pretend I'm a lot more knowledgable than I am." You know? Like his whole schtick is predicated on having a fall man. So when his focus is politics it's just a barrage of quips about how he's got it all figured out better than whoever his daily straw man is.

Edited by magisme

He needs the money, does he?

Besides, you can say that about anyone. I seem to remember you having a go at Sean Hannity and his ilk. He's just making a living! :lol:

Yeah but the difference there is he's saying something that, in my estimation, is evil. Whereas yous all seemed to be saying like, y'know, why does he go on telly and pontificate, well cuz it's his job, he's getting paid. You weren't taking issue with any specific thing he was saying like i was with Hannity, it just seemed to be a case of not liking his manner.

Yeah, I get your point. I just wish our public intellectuals emphasized the intellectual part a little more and the publicity part a little less. But nature of the beast and all that, I guess. I suppose if the most clever people you come across are on the television, you're fucked anyway. :lol:

Still, I feel like the kind of thought he'll inspire goes like, "Hey, maybe I'll learn a few random facts about shit so I can shoot off at the mouth and pretend I'm a lot more knowledgable than I am." You know? Like his whole schtick is predicated on having a fall man. So when his focus is politics it's just a barrage of quips about how he's got it all figured out better than whomever his daily straw man is.

You make a fair point here actually, with the second paragraph i mean. Still, beats the fuckin' hell out of Gangham Style or whatever reality TV shite is popular nowadays. That whole professional raconteur thing does often make him seem a bit of a cut-price Oscar Wilde, the whole soundbyte thing.

Edited by Len B'stard

He needs the money, does he?

Besides, you can say that about anyone. I seem to remember you having a go at Sean Hannity and his ilk. He's just making a living! :lol:

Yeah but the difference there is he's saying something that, in my estimation, is evil. Whereas yous all seemed to be saying like, y'know, why does he go on telly and pontificate, well cuz it's his job, he's getting paid. You were taking issue with any specific thing he was saying like i was with Hannity, it just seemed to be a case of not liking his manner.

I think the manner is important. You know that. Come on. You're the guy who goes on about how a statesman should conduct himself. I'm not saying Fry is a statesmen, but the point is the same. Manner matters, probably as much as the message behind the manner.

This thing of demanding genius is kinda weird.

I demand genius from people who try to sell themselves as genius, yes.

I think the manner is important. You know that. Come on. You're the guy who goes on about how a statesman should conduct himself. I'm not saying Fry is a statesmen, but the point is the same. Manner matters, probably as much as the message behind the manner.

True but at the same time the criticisms were insubstantial in terms of holding water with the above comparison. A wit or social commentator having a snotty manner or appearing to be a bit of a no all will, at best (or should that be worst?) will result in mild distaste. A statesman behaving like a cunt might get many peoples arses shot off but yeah, broadly speaking you're right, manner is definitely important. I always thought he came off rather cuddley myself :lol:

I demand genius from people who try to sell themselves as genius, yes.

What do you want him to do, walk around with a sandwich board that reads 'I AM NOT A GENIUS'? :lol: Not refuting something and agreeing with it are two different things. If he was to go on telly and go y'know what I'm really not a genius like whats being made out here the naysayers'd just be like 'oh look, he's going on about his intellect, see, typical, bringing attention to it by way of self depracation, could he be more obvious?'.

Why would you say that though, how, in what context, when have you ever heard a politician or boxer or...y'know, famous personality get accolades only to turn around and go 'oh come off it, look at me, I'm a moron!' :lol: Or, y'know, average Joe, whatever, i think it's just the thing to do to just like...ignore the issue completely and carry on with your job. Is there anything more odious than bringing up the subject of ones own genius, like you wanna wank off over everyone going 'oh Stephen it's not true, it's not true, you ARE SO a genius!' :lol:

Personally, if i had his brains I'd be a right cunt about it :lol: And also, this academia vs like, PURE intelligence thing is a bit of a cocksuck too, the two are related, are they not? What good is intelligence without the requisite grounding in areas where you actually have to apply your genius. Otherwise, what you gonna do, like on the beach counting grains of sand or something? Academia is the arena in which intellect is applied surely? Obviously not the only but you know what i mean. It takes intellect to understand and process and contextualise what academia tells you, the conclusions you reach based on the information you are presented with is where your intellect comes in.

Edited by Len B'stard

I never took a shot at him for his academic credentials. I'm not sure what we're talking about there, the difference between intelligence and schooling. We can get into that if you want, but I don't think that's the pertinent issue here.

The rest about whether I want him to admit he's not a genius? No. I wouldn't expect that of anyone. But if he's going to put himself in front of a camera and act like an authority on politics, religion, morality and whatever else, he should either bring the goods or be taken down a notch. You know where I stand.

I've always thought his stuff to be a lot more sort of offhand than all of that. A lot of musing in like, interviews and such. i guess it's an interesting window into how differently people can percieve people :) Never found his overbearing or arrogant or anything like that, always just seemed open, genial and chatty.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1