"shove it!" - Wembley 92 back story..

Very cool, Nice Boy! Thanks for sharing!

I always wondered about Duff's handshake with Axl...

It's been a couple years since I watched that video, but watching it again now is bringing back the feels -- great performance, and I always thought Axl seemed very defiant throughout, like he was out to prove something, and now it totally makes sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_Your_Illusion_Tour

On April 20, 1992, the band performed at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, an effort for AIDS Awareness in London. Guns N' Roses were a controversial addition to the lineup, as many in the gay community were still angry over Axl using a gay slur in the song "One in a Million." The band opened with "Paradise City" and closed with "Knockin' on Heaven's Door." During the famous "Paradise City" opening, Axl pointed at a group of protesters in the audience and yelled "SHOVE IT!"[citation needed][clarification needed] He had planned to address the controversy between songs, but was asked not to by the band as it would pull the spotlight from Queen and Freddie Mercury. As Slash concluded a short cover of Alice Cooper's "Only Women Bleed," bassist Duff McKagan kept an eye on Axl, who approached the front of the stage. When Slash finished the song, then strummed the beginning of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," Duff walked over to Axl and shook his hand as an act of appreciation. Later in the show, Slash joined Joe Elliott of Def Leppard and the surviving members of Queen for "Tie Your Mother Down." Axl sang "We Will Rock You" and finished "Bohemian Rhapsody" with Elton John and Queen. The show was broadcast live around the world via satellite, gathering the largest audience for a music concert in history.

http://www.queenarchives.com/index.php?title=Queen_-_06-25-1992_-_Rolling_Stone_-_Freddie_Mercury_Tribute

After the lineup was announced, the AIDS activist group ACT UP London began screeching about Guns n' Roses' participation, first demanding that Guns be dropped from the bill, then urging other artists to shun them and the Wembley crowd to boo them off the stage--a concept the members of Queen found ludicrous.
"ACT UP will have no influence on the audience whatsoever," said an angry Taylor. "And I have a two-word message for them, which I'm prepared to give them at any moment they want it."
"People seem so blind," said May earnestly. "Don't they realize that the mere fact that Guns n' Roses are here is the biggest statement that you could get? We think it's time that everybody realizes that whether you're gay or straight, you're entitled to your feelings. You cannot come down on anybody because of the way they feel. That's got to be an outdated concept, and I hope that the concert will help to bring that about."
Although the audience at Wembley was primarily there to pay tribute to Mercury, the event's AIDS agenda was never far from anyone's mind. Red ribbons and AIDS-awareness sashes transformed the floor of the packed stadium into a scarlet sea. Elizabeth Taylor pointed a regal finger at the crowd and gave a lengthy, impassioned lecture on safe sex. David Bowie, in one of the evening's most touching moments, knelt during his set and recited the Lord's Prayer. George Michael, quoting figures from the American Foundation for AIDS Research (AmFAR) forecasting 40 million people worldwide infected with HIV by the year 2000, scolded the crowd: "If any of you really think that those are all going to be gay people or drug addicts, you're lining up to be one of those numbers."
Aside from the aforementioned, the members of Queen kept the AIDS-speak to a minimum. "That's definitely what Freddie would have wanted," said Taylor. "`For fuck's sake, dears, have fun!'" And indeed, there was plenty of that to be had.
Guns n' Roses' set, the show's potential hot spot, passed without incident. At one point, Axl Rose, looking like he was itching to get something off his chest, sat down on the drum riser long enough to send an anticipatory buzz through the crowd, but after a moment's pause, he resumed the set with "Knockin' on Heaven's Door." (Rose later confirmed that he had been sneaking up on a diatribe-- against the U.S. government, the Food and Drug Administration and the American Medical Association, for hindering access to alternative forms of medicine that could be valuable in the fight against AIDS. "I thought about it," said Rose, "but I couldn't do that to Queen. Everybody was so happy, I didn't want to spoil the vibe.") Despite the advance ink, nary a peep was heard from protesters during Guns' set or throughout the day.
  • Like 2

Interesting. Thanks for the little story.

I always thought he was saying it to the person holding the sign at 0:38 that says "AXL PISS OFF"

This performance of Paradise City never fails to give me goosebumps, I can watch it over and over again.

It's watching performances like this recently that have really made me lose any interest in the current incarnation of GNR.

You could see and hear that Axl wanted to give it all that night. While the quality of his Queen covers is debatable (nice Bo Rhap, his timing on Rock You is messed up), on the two songs GNR performed, he was absolutely stellar.

There was a lot of controversy here in the UK leading up to the gig. Some people threatened to cause trouble as soon as Guns came out but there was little trouble. The person Axl shouted at was removed I think and the gig continued, in fact in the press the day after it was reported that GnR stole the show. They were incredible that day. In fact the whole day was brilliant, the weather was kind and the crowd up for it. It was an honour to be there. We miss you Freddie. x

• Like 1

and another GNR-mystery solved after 20 years...

Getting a bit thin on the ground lately though eh? :lol: Whats the next mystery gonna be, 'was Izzy saying something when his jaw wiggled in that one gig in 1991 in Bitch City, South Carolina where he was wearing one gold spur and one silver spur on his cowboy boots...or was he just relieving lock-jaw? Stay tuned folks!' :lol:

Sources from the time recall the involvement of a packet of Wethers Originals with Izzy that day!

Edited by Len B'stard