Van Halen Live Album & 2015 Tour Discussion

RussTCB

Awesome pictures! How was Dave's voice? Did he sing or talk his way through the songs?

I know Eddie and Alex still kick ass, but when I saw VH a couple of years ago, Dave just couldn't sing those hit songs anymore and he left out so much of when he would talk during the songs. I love those parts.

See our respective reviews of the show. I thought he sounded pretty decent for Dave, but I couldn't hear him very well down front. JB said he sounded awful, but it sounded more like he was sick than he wasn't trying. It was pretty cold that night so that may have been a factor.

I will say, I much prefer seeing VH indoors. Some bands work extremely well in both arenas and amphitheaters/outdoors - I personally don't think VH is one of those bands.

Subtle Signs - I don't think that review is any different than what we've been saying. The reviewer says Dave mostly sucked had a few good moments amidst talking his way through the songs while the Van Halen boys are at the top of their game. Pretty much what we've all said.

Val22 - Dave was Dave, as usual. Even in 1982 he talked his way through the songs. I do think London was worse than usual for Dave but as mentioned the cold weather seemed to take its toll because he was pretty hoarse even when he just spoke and was more breathy than usual. The worst Dave performance I've seen in person but not his worst overall (I'm looking at you Tokyo).

P5 - excellent shots as always! Dave and Ed definitely still look good.

• Like 1

Great pics, Dan!

When you take these kinds of pics do you just shop them off to websites then, for them to use in articles etc.? Or is it more of a hobby?

Technically working as a freelance photographer. I push my stuff on social media, and everyone once in a while someone bites on my stuff and wants to use it. Doesn't happen too often with bigger bands, the notable exceptions have been Bumblefoot (That "halo" picture he uses a lot was mine), and Alice Cooper/his bandmates have used a few of my pictures. Between them and a couple other smaller artists I've been paid for my work maybe half a dozen times. The biggest offer I've ever been made for a job I had to turn down as I have no studio experience yet, but Thin Lizzy wanted me to do a studio shoot for them a few years ago.

It's somewhere between a hobby and wanting to be a career for me. I really do want to make a career out of music photography, but at the same time I'm not really actively pursuing it…yet. I still push my stuff as a freelance artist right now, but I'm honestly just enjoying my flexible schedule and being able to travel a lot right now. I get a "real" photography gig (Outside of my dream job which is being an artist's go-to photographer they drag on the road with them) and my flexibility goes out the window. But it's absolutely what I'm shooting for a few years down the road too. Also want to get my feet wet in studio photography before I try to go full time with it, since it's where a lot of the business is also.

It's frustrating too though - I'm completely self taught and no one really wants someone who hasn't been actually trained in photography. Without sounding arrogant, I know I've got the eye and the skill for it - I've been told so by numerous professional music photographers including the one I'm most inspired by. But if publications want someone that has training it doesn't really matter how good you are if you aren't trained :shrugs:

Hey Fermanager, what do you say I come on as GN'R's new photographer? :book:

And sometimes you give them to fans who need a good group shot to get signed after concerts, too! :D

Those pictures are amazing, and I am so jealous. A Kenny Wayne Shepherd/VH twin billing is unreal (don't know if Kenny was with them in London).

Great pics, Dan!

When you take these kinds of pics do you just shop them off to websites then, for them to use in articles etc.? Or is it more of a hobby?

Technically working as a freelance photographer. I push my stuff on social media, and everyone once in a while someone bites on my stuff and wants to use it. Doesn't happen too often with bigger bands, the notable exceptions have been Bumblefoot (That "halo" picture he uses a lot was mine), and Alice Cooper/his bandmates have used a few of my pictures. Between them and a couple other smaller artists I've been paid for my work maybe half a dozen times. The biggest offer I've ever been made for a job I had to turn down as I have no studio experience yet, but Thin Lizzy wanted me to do a studio shoot for them a few years ago.

It's somewhere between a hobby and wanting to be a career for me. I really do want to make a career out of music photography, but at the same time I'm not really actively pursuing ityet. I still push my stuff as a freelance artist right now, but I'm honestly just enjoying my flexible schedule and being able to travel a lot right now. I get a "real" photography gig (Outside of my dream job which is being an artist's go-to photographer they drag on the road with them) and my flexibility goes out the window. But it's absolutely what I'm shooting for a few years down the road too. Also want to get my feet wet in studio photography before I try to go full time with it, since it's where a lot of the business is also.

It's frustrating too though - I'm completely self taught and no one really wants someone who hasn't been actually trained in photography. Without sounding arrogant, I know I've got the eye and the skill for it - I've been told so by numerous professional music photographers including the one I'm most inspired by. But if publications want someone that has training it doesn't really matter how good you are if you aren't trained :shrugs:

And sometimes you give them to fans who need a good group shot to get signed after concerts, too! :D

Those pictures are amazing, and I am so jealous. A Kenny Wayne Shepherd/VH twin billing is unreal (don't know if Kenny was with them in London).

;)

Yeah, KWS opened in London. Think he's on every show for the tour.

Great pics, Dan!

It's somewhere between a hobby and wanting to be a career for me. I really do want to make a career out of music photography, but at the same time I'm not really actively pursuing ityet. I still push my stuff as a freelance artist right now, but I'm honestly just enjoying my flexible schedule and being able to travel a lot right now. I get a "real" photography gig (Outside of my dream job which is being an artist's go-to photographer they drag on the road with them) and my flexibility goes out the window. But it's absolutely what I'm shooting for a few years down the road too. Also want to get my feet wet in studio photography before I try to go full time with it, since it's where a lot of the business is also.

;)

Yeah, KWS opened in London. Think he's on every show for the tour.

I'd pay face value of the tickets just for his sets, honestly. Saw him in Chicago on the Blues From The Backroads tour (the show that got released as "Live in Chicago"), and it was absolutely spectacular.

Found this video on Youtube from 2007. I know people give Eddie a lot of shit for his playing in 2007,but I know he was great at the show I saw, and I never really listened to many other recordings from that tour. But man...this really sucks. Is this how bad Eddie was for most of 2007? Scary shit when Dave is the highlight (Which, to be fair, he really is great here):

Jesus, I watched one of Ed's 2004 solos before leaving for work, literally the worst thing I've ever seen/heard. He deserves all the shit he got for that tour.

Honestly, when is the last time everyone in the band looked and sounded top notch? I'm not a Van Hagar historian, but it had to be sometime in those days. Or how was the band on the Cherone tour? I know he sounded great.

The Balance tour had some great playing from Ed - one of his best ever live years. Check out Dreams and Jump from the Toronto 1995 show. Lots of tasteful harmonics and extra bits that weren't really seen again until this year on Ellen. His solo from the same show is mind blowing. The downside is Sammy was rough during 1995 although he's pretty good at this particular show. Sammy peaked on the F.U.C.K tour and he sounded great in 2004 as well. Fuck, Sammy still sounds amazing live. His voice has changed a little bit but he can still deliver. Saw him and Mikey a couple years ago and it was great.

The Cherone tour was great all around. It was nice to have a setlist that featured Sammy and Dave songs equally after so many Dave songs got ignored during Sammy's fret tenure with the band (the 2004 set lists were better for that). The band and Cherone sounded great as well.

I'm not sure if there was a truly great "firing all on cylinders" year during the early years, but some of the Fair Warnig tour stuff is pretty great. Back then they weren't a particularly great live act. 2012 seems to be the best overall year with Roth at the helm so far.

It's just funny to think about, considering Van Halen are considered such a top tier band, there's almost never been a time when all four of them were at the top of their game :lol:

I'd agree that, at least out of all the tours in familiar with, 2012 was the best. Band was on fire, Dave mostly sounded like he gave a fuck, and a solid setlist (Though I prefer this year's personally).

This year definitely wins for set list over 2012 and Wolf has bettered his already great 2012 playing and singing, but Dave is giving a little less of a shit. :lol:

But I agree. It's funny how one of the top tier bands of all time has never been all that great collectively live. Alex is probably the most consistent member of the band as far as playing goes.

Absolutely agree there, never seen a single video of Van Halen where Alex wasn't in the groove.

I'm glad less people are giving Wolfgang shit nowadays. He really is the only reason Van Halen is still a band by any definition of the word. He writes the setlists, he orchestrated everything to do with ADKOT, he runs rehearsals, he mediates between Dave and Ed - he's absolutely invaluable. If Michael Anthony never left, I honestly think 2007 would've been the last VH tour (Without them finding a new singer, at the very least).

I've seen Van Halen in 1995, 1998, 2007, 2008, 2012 and 2015. The 2015 show was the best. Awesome setlist and the band, all four members, were on fire.

Out of curiosity, what show did you see this year? I've been fairly unimpressed with Dave in the videos I've seen on Youtube.

No kidding. I don't know if I could ever truly consider Dave to be on fire, and I say that as a fan of Dave over Sammy.

I absolutely don't deny that Sammy is a better vocalist than Dave. The thing that ruins Van Hagar for me is I just don't like the songs.

No kidding. I don't know if I could ever truly consider Dave to be on fire, and I say that as a fan of Dave over Sammy.

I absolutely don't deny that Sammy is a better vocalist than Dave. The thing that ruins Van Hagar for me is I just don't like the songs.

That's just it. Dave has the better songs that are more identifiable as the Van Halen sound, whereas Sammy had songs that were more polished and commercial. Most of the Sammy albums actually have some great guitar work from Ed if you ignore the cheesy stuff. The ones I'd erase from history, however, are Love Walks In and Can't Stop Loving You. I can tolerate Dreams and When It's Love - great solo from Ed on the latter. Right Now is probably the best of the Sammy hits though.