Van Halen Live Album & 2015 Tour Discussion

RussTCB

Dave doesn't have a say in Van Halen the way he used to and he's got enough on his plate to keep him busy into his old age.

I'll buy this, for sure. Honestly I hope they do fix it up. As much as people rag on Right Here Right Now, I prefer most versions of the songs on it, they just have more energy than the studio counterparts, even though they are pretty much studio recordings as well.

I saw VH in 2004 with Sammy and Mike, I saw them in 2012 on the ADKOT tour, I also saw the Sam and Dave tour in like 2001/2.

I hope the 2004 show you went to was good.

@Dalsh,

No it wasn't. It wasn't the worst concert I've seen, but it was no where near the best. Honestly both the Sam and Dave show and the 2012 VH concerts were MUCH better. Eddie was on fire in 2012, so that plus the set list made it a great show.

Seriously - the 2012 setlist was great. But they should've played MUCH more of the new album. I felt like they skipped some of the best songs on the album - Blood & Fire (I know it was played a handful of times, but having seen it live I can definitely say it was the best of the new songs live), As Is, You And Your Blues, and Big River namely.

@Dalsh,

No it wasn't. It wasn't the worst concert I've seen, but it was no where near the best. Honestly both the Sam and Dave show and the 2012 VH concerts were MUCH better. Eddie was on fire in 2012, so that plus the set list made it a great show.

Seriously - the 2012 setlist was great. But they should've played MUCH more of the new album. I felt like they skipped some of the best songs on the album - Blood & Fire (I know it was played a handful of times, but having seen it live I can definitely say it was the best of the new songs live), As Is, You And Your Blues, and Big River namely.

Yeah, I was bummed with the sets from 2012. They were good, but ADKOT was so good and deserved to be showcased a lot more. Sabbath had the same issue with 13 imo

Edited by ZoSoRose

@Dalsh,

Yeah, I was bummed with the sets from 2012. They were good, but ADKOT was so good and deserved to be showcased a lot more. Sabbath had the same issue with 13 imo

Nope. They only did two songs from 13 at the Hyde Park gig in July, and that was still too much for me. I would've been perfectly happy with them just doing God Is Dead. I can't imagine sitting through a show where they did 4 or 5 songs from 13 (Though, the fact they they played my favorite Ozzy-era song at every gig of the tour except the one I saw would've lessened the blow a bit... <_< )

@Dalsh,

Nope. They only did two songs from 13 at the Hyde Park gig in July, and that was still too much for me. I would've been perfectly happy with them just doing God Is Dead. I can't imagine sitting through a show where they did 4 or 5 songs from 13 (Though, the fact they they played my favorite Ozzy-era song at every gig of the tour except the one I saw would've lessened the blow a bit... <_< )

I really liked 13, and wouldn't have minded more songs played, even through rotation. ADKOT is better, though

I want to say VH played 4 or 5 ADKOT songs at the show I was at, but unfortunatly none of them were Blood and Fire. I agree with you about that song, its the best song on that album IMO. She's the woman is a close 2nd, but for me, thats the best rocker on the album, while Blood and Fire is best overall.

I want to say VH played 4 or 5 ADKOT songs at the show I was at, but unfortunatly none of them were Blood and Fire. I agree with you about that song, its the best song on that album IMO. She's the woman is a close 2nd, but for me, thats the best rocker on the album, while Blood and Fire is best overall.

They never played more than four songs from the album in one night. They've only played Tattoo, She's The Woman, Chinatown, Blood & Fire, and The Trouble With Never. Tattoo, She's The Woman, Chinatown, and The Trouble With Never were all played every night, except Blood & Fire replaced The Trouble With Never the three times it was played.

I secretly don't like you because they played Blood And Fire at your gig :P

No worries - I'd be jealous if I didn't see it and anyone else here did :awesomeface:

Seriously though - I decided to go to a third gig literally because they started playing Blood & Fire. I saw the setlist from the first night they played it the next morning, and the Pittsburgh gig was 3 days later. Then I pulled up 11th row in the lower bowl right next to Eddie, and I just had to go for it since I'd never had good seats for VH. I got really lucky, because Pittsburgh ended up being the last time they played Blood & Fire :D

• Like 1

No worries - I'd be jealous if I didn't see it and anyone else here did :awesomeface:

Seriously though - I decided to go to a third gig literally because they started playing Blood & Fire. I saw the setlist from the first night they played it the next morning, and the Pittsburgh gig was 3 days later. Then I pulled up 11th row in the lower bowl right next to Eddie, and I just had to go for it since I'd never had good seats for VH. I got really lucky, because Pittsburgh ended up being the last time they played Blood & Fire :D

Yeah yeah, keep bragging about it haha. Not that I dislike The Trouble With Never, but Blood And Fire is just so much better.

I fucking love ADKOT.

Yeah yeah, keep bragging about it haha. Not that I dislike The Trouble With Never, but Blood And Fire is just so much better.

I fucking love ADKOT.

I liked The Trouble With Never on the album, but that rant that Dave went on in the breakdown live just sort of killed it for me. Sucked the energy right out of the song - definitely my least favorite they did live. Chinatown was great live too, but Dave fucked it up at like every single show.

Oh, by the way:

• Like 1

So whats next, a super VH tour with Dave, Sammy, Mike, and Wolfie? I am also of the opinion that Ed's well has run dry, but that's ok with me because VH has provided me with a plethra of quality albums. I love both eras for vastly different reasons, so to be honest VH has already provided me a life worths of quality music. So if Ed's got nothing left in the tank, thats ok with me. But I do hope for a super tour at some point, 3 hours plus of just plain VH awesomeness!!!!

Honestly if you combine both era's, what band can really match that? Even AC/DC doesn't have enough quality Brian Johnson music to really match what Sammy did. Plus when you consider they DIDN'T bring in outside writers like Aerosmith did, they have to be considered the greatest American rock band IMO. Only GNR could have given them a run, but they didn't have enough albums to really challenge them....

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Ed's got a lot of riffs down on tape.

If you ever talk to Ralph from Steel Panther about the songs on A Different Kind of Truth, he'll confirm that Atomic Punks were going to make an album out of those songs and the Van Halen camp shot the idea down, I think this was 2000-2001. Dave, Mike, Alex, and Ed did come up with new songs. I have no idea what the songs were, but I'm guessing one wound up being recorded by Hagar for "Best of Both Worlds" and maybe a few for ADKOT. Michael Anthony would remember what the songs were.

Ed's got a lot of riffs down on tape.

If you ever talk to Ralph from Steel Panther about the songs on A Different Kind of Truth, he'll confirm that Atomic Punks were going to make an album out of those songs and the Van Halen camp shot the idea down, I think this was 2000-2001. Dave, Mike, Alex, and Ed did come up with new songs. I have no idea what the songs were, but I'm guessing one wound up being recorded by Hagar for "Best of Both Worlds" and maybe a few for ADKOT. Michael Anthony would remember what the songs were.

Well, as for the songs on ADKOT, here's what we know about their history:

Tattoo - Based on a song played on their first tour called Down In Flames. There are live recordings of the song, but no demos.

She's The Woman - Song was more or less as it is on the album in 1976, with different lyrics.

You And Your Blues - No information.

Chinatown - No information.

Blood & Fire - Instrumental by Eddie in 1984 for the film The Wild Life. Roth added lyrics during production for the album.

Bullethead - There was a song in the early days with the same title, but no recordings of it. It may or may not be the same song as it was then.

As Is - No information.

Honeybabysweetiedoll - No information.

The Trouble With Never - No information.

Outta Space - Evolved from the demo Let's Get Rockin' from the early days.

Stay Frosty - New song for the album.

Big River - Song was more or less as it is on the album in 1976, with different lyrics and originally titled Big Trouble.

Beats Workin' - No information.

Can anyone fill in any of the blanks?

• Like 1

I believe As Is (at least the main riff) was written in the 2000s, as you can hear Ed playing it on his appearance on Two and a Half Men. It may have been written before, but since there isn't much info on it, I would assume it's more recent.

• Like 2

Ed talks about some of the songs on here, but it's mentioned they demoed 35 songs (yeah I know, we've heard that one before...). The interesting thing is that Dave and the producer wanted to bring it to a studio instead of making it at Eddie's home studio.

http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-eddie-van-halen-talks-different-kind-truth?page=0,0

So I watched some of this concert on YouTube, and I'm pretty hopefull. It was just an audience recording, so the quality obviously wasn't very good. But you could tell they we're having a good night. I'm pretty pumped to hear officially released versions from this show, they might be spectatcular. For me, VH has always been about EVH and their songs, so this album has both in good form. I'm buying this on vinyl for sure. ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is it me or does DLR sound all over the fucking map on Panama? I mean, I know he was never a great live singer, and I'm a big supporter of his, but maybe this is why they never released a live album with him. It works live, but when you're listening back to it its pretty brutal. I do love his chatter during the softer part. He's still classic Dave.

And the band does sound great, particularly Eddie. I agree, great sound mix. I will say, oddly enough, Dave sounds better on Runnin With The Devil and Eddie sounds worse on it. I'm actually shocked by the lack of touch ups. Either on Dave's vocals in places as well as Ed's guitar, particularly the solo in Devil which he doesn't really nail either time. Although I like the honesty of the release.

Edited by gunsfanoldie