Van Halen Live Album & 2015 Tour Discussion

RussTCB

I saw Van Halen on May 16, 1979 (two days after my birthday) and July 17 1980 (the day after seeing The Who in Toronto).

The '79 show was killer!

The 1980 show was not quite the same buzz as seeing them for the first time, but still an amazing show.

My friend recorded the '79 show, I had a copy of it for a few years but the tape got chewed. It sounded great too!

I finally located him after many years but he had ditched all his master recordings when he got married....oh the shows he recorded, such a loss. :question:

As for this new release, I might pick it up from the Walmart bargain bin next year...kinda meh about it. :shrugs:

• Like 1

I think the reason for going "warts and all" ties into "Live Right Here Right Now" being a studio creation, but I'm kind of surprised they're not even posting anything on the official You Tube page.

Hopefully this will lead to some vault releases, this isn't even counting what else might be out there like Texxas Jam or the tapes Dave and Mike have.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-halen-live-albums-wish-list/

Local radio station in winnipeg here posted the panama link a few days ago. What a train wreck. Can't get over how bad Dave is.

"...burning down the avenue" just kills me every time.

Yeah that specifically, sounds just horrible. Overall it sounds pretty bad, Dave can't sing. Eddie's guitar tone sounds pretty bad too.

The whole thing sounds like it was just ripped from the soundboard and then sent in for duplication/distribution.

Edited by OmarBradley

It's not how I'd like to remember them, like the last Sabbath live album (Gathered In Their Masses) where Ozzy sounds atrocious and it's only 3/4 of the band.

The Sabbath one is worse because they already have live albums with way better versions of nearly all the songs.

It's not how I'd like to remember them, like the last Sabbath live album (Gathered In Their Masses) where Ozzy sounds atrocious and it's only 3/4 of the band.

The Sabbath one is worse because they already have live albums with way better versions of nearly all the songs.

Honestly, I don't think Sabbath have any particularly great live albums across any of the eras. Live At Hemmersmith Odeon is my favorite, but that one was also a very limited release. I guess Past Lives would be my second favorite by default, but the sound quality is pretty horrid even for a live album recorded in the 70's.

They really should have hit the studio to polish this up. Roth sounds atrocious and the mix is a little too dry. I can appreciate the idea of making it sound raw but as mentioned it sounds like it came right from the soundboard. The only redeeming factor is Wolf's backing vocals.

I saw them live a couple years ago in Philly -- great raw energy and I thought Dave sounded good, but sometimes being lost in the midst of thousands of singing fans can create false illusions. When I played back some bootlegs on YouTube from the gig, his voice was all over the place. So listening to these tracks doesn't really surprise me... chances are they signed a contract requiring them to release a certain number of studio albums when they reunited, and this is just a contractual filler. It might not bode well for the future of the band, tbh.

I hate live albums for the most part and usually won't listen or buy them but if I do, I'd much prefer them to sound as close to the show as possible. If the singer's all over the place, fine. If there are mistakes, even better. I hate the studio touch ups. I already have the studio versions, I don't need another with fake crowd noise piped in on top of it. Give me the live experience as it was

I saw them live a couple years ago in Philly -- great raw energy and I thought Dave sounded good, but sometimes being lost in the midst of thousands of singing fans can create false illusions. When I played back some bootlegs on YouTube from the gig, his voice was all over the place. So listening to these tracks doesn't really surprise me... chances are they signed a contract requiring them to release a certain number of studio albums when they reunited, and this is just a contractual filler. It might not bode well for the future of the band, tbh.

Dave did say I think about 6 months ago that they were starting to work on new stuff, but didn't expect anything to come of it for 18 months or so. But that's all been said before.

To be honest, I think very few fans would be surprised if ADKOT was their last studio album. We're talking about a band that has an only slightly better batting average in terms of albums than GN'R after all, and they've got a lot less "endless touring" to occupy their time.

It was easier for them to have preexisting material to work with last time, I just think lackluster sales doesn't exactly motivate a band to put new music out.

Dave made an album with John 5 he put on the backburner so maybe there is something in the works with new VH music.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't think Sabbath have any particularly great live albums across any of the eras. Live At Hemmersmith Odeon is my favorite, but that one was also a very limited release. I guess Past Lives would be my second favorite by default, but the sound quality is pretty horrid even for a live album recorded in the 70's.

Now that I can quote again...

The (King Biscuit?) Asbury Park NJ 1975 show that the Sabotage tracks on Past Lives are culled from is sensational- you're right though, all the official live albums are pretty lackluster.

They should just put out the Paris 1970 concert.

I pre-order this vinyl, and I might be in the minority, but I'm pretty pumped for it. Its a new release from one of my favorite bands, so why wouldn't I be pumped. Also I don't think it sounds bad, I think Dave sounds like Dave. He's always been like this. Sure sometimes wish he would just sing the damn song, but that's just how he is. But when he does sing, he doesn't sound bad, honestly I think he sounds pretty good, suprislingly good. I think the band sounds good as well, they sound like they are having fun, and you can really hear wolfies vocals, Which are supriseingly good as well.

I don't mind that bands go back and fix things for live albums, and if they would have done that here I wouldn't of minded either. But because of the back lash that live right here right now got, I think that's why they did it this way. Which I love right here right now, I prefer some versions of those over the studio counterparts. But based on these two tracks, I'll love this album too. I do love the rawness and honesty to these two tracks.

The larger issue here is that "music" has become so perfect these days, due to protocols and computer based music, that real live band music gets overly criticized imo. Rock and roll was never meant to be perfect, it was about capturing a certain feeling, which again I feel modern music is very lacking on. I just don't think it's fair to judge albums like this by 2015 standards, because it will always feel flawed. But instead I think it should be judged by 1985 or even 1975 standards, which if that was the case, it would be considered great.

• Like 2

I pre-order this vinyl, and I might be in the minority, but I'm pretty pumped for it. Its a new release from one of my favorite bands, so why wouldn't I be pumped. Also I don't think it sounds bad, I think Dave sounds like Dave. He's always been like this. Sure sometimes wish he would just sing the damn song, but that's just how he is. But when he does sing, he doesn't sound bad, honestly I think he sounds pretty good, suprislingly good. I think the band sounds good as well, they sound like they are having fun, and you can really hear wolfies vocals, Which are supriseingly good as well.

I don't mind that bands go back and fix things for live albums, and if they would have done that here I wouldn't of minded either. But because of the back lash that live right here right now got, I think that's why they did it this way. Which I love right here right now, I prefer some versions of those over the studio counterparts. But based on these two tracks, I'll love this album too. I do love the rawness and honesty to these two tracks.

The larger issue here is that "music" has become so perfect these days, due to protocols and computer based music, that real live band music gets overly criticized imo. Rock and roll was never meant to be perfect, it was about capturing a certain feeling, which again I feel modern music is very lacking on. I just don't think it's fair to judge albums like this by 2015 standards, because it will always feel flawed. But instead I think it should be judged by 1985 or even 1975 standards, which if that was the case, it would be considered great.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. I'm picking it up on vinyl as well.

I saw Van Halen live a few years ago too and although Dave is very entertaining, he can't sing like he did back in the 80's.

I would like to get this dvd so see how much Dave has done to fix his vocals before the release of the "live" dvd.

also, John 5 of the Rob Zombie band said he and Dave are old friends and sometimes get together and write songs. He said they made a cd for themselves, but not sure if they'll ever release it. John 5 said it was acoustic and other stuff they don't normally do. I would like to hear Dave's voice singing acoustic. He might sound better.

Anyway, Eddie and Alex still got it. The solos were amazing. The camera was on Eddie's fingers the whole time and I was just amazed how great he still is.

John 5 of the Rob Zombie band said he and Dave are old friends and sometimes get together and write songs. He said they made a cd for themselves, but not sure if they'll ever release it. John 5 said it was acoustic and other stuff they don't normally do. I would like to hear Dave's voice singing acoustic. He might sound better.

Lowery (5) and DLR did an album in the late 90's a little bit before he joined Marilyn Manson.

He was also on Rob Halford's "industrial goth" album Two: Voyeurs that was produced by Trunt Reznor around the same time.

John 5 of the Rob Zombie band said he and Dave are old friends and sometimes get together and write songs. He said they made a cd for themselves, but not sure if they'll ever release it. John 5 said it was acoustic and other stuff they don't normally do. I would like to hear Dave's voice singing acoustic. He might sound better.

Lowery (5) and DLR did an album in the late 90's a little bit before he joined Marilyn Manson.

He was also on Rob Halford's "industrial goth" album Two: Voyeurs that was produced by Trunt Reznor around the same time.

Love that Two album

Edited by Sixes
  • Like 1

I bought both of those albums I mentioned when they came out and I completely forget almost everything about them, though I do remember liking the Two album more, and the opening track being a standout.

The Two album caught me off guard at first but grew on me and I think it's one of the best things Halford's ever done. I get sick of the Judas Priest schtick very easily and can't get thru any of their albums. But Two is a revelation.

I didn't know Diamond Dave and John 5 released an album. I know they have one done that Dave is contemplating releasing but I had no clue there was already one out there

I bought both of those albums I mentioned when they came out and I completely forget almost everything about them, though I do remember liking the Two album more, and the opening track being a standout.

The Two album caught me off guard at first but grew on me and I think it's one of the best things Halford's ever done. I get sick of the Judas Priest schtick very easily and can't get thru any of their albums. But Two is a revelation.

I didn't know Diamond Dave and John 5 released an album. I know they have one done that Dave is contemplating releasing but I had no clue there was already one out there

I'm listening to Two now, it's coming back to me.

Here's the DLR Band album (1998)

• Like 1

Its just really good they have an official live record with Dave. Even if the quality of his vocals aren't that good, it'd be really bad if they never did a live record.

I still hope for one more album

Ya I would as well, but at this point I'm not sure if it's in the cards. As with gnr, I'm kinda hoping for a super VH reunion tour and DVD and live album or something. It seems like Zeppelin wrote the book on how to do a reunion (amoung other things), get back together and do a show or some shows, and profit like a mother off of it. The fans are happy, and everybody gets to go do whatever they want when it's done.

So Ya, that's honestly what I'd like to see VH and gnr do, but back to VH. Get Sammy, Mike, and Dave together and go out on the road. Let Wolfie play the adkot stuff of course, But let MA play all the old stuff, they could even let Wolfie open the shows with his New band or whatever. But the main show could have each singer doing 3 songs or so, then take a break and let the other guy go. Maybe even really go all out and let Sammy and Dave do some of their solo stuff with other musicians to give the VH brothers a break. As a huge VH fan of both eras, that would be an incredible show.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a New Roth album, but it just sorta feels like Eddie's well has run dry or something. Either that or he just isn't feeling it with dave. But really it just feels like Eddie and alex just want to go out and play every few years, but don't really seem to be into the whole recording, videos, and promotion type of thing anymore. That's just my observation anyways.

Its just really good they have an official live record with Dave. Even if the quality of his vocals aren't that good, it'd be really bad if they never did a live record.

I still hope for one more album

Ya I would as well, but at this point I'm not sure if it's in the cards. As with gnr, I'm kinda hoping for a super VH reunion tour and DVD and live album or something. It seems like Zeppelin wrote the book on how to do a reunion (amoung other things), get back together and do a show or some shows, and profit like a mother off of it. The fans are happy, and everybody gets to go do whatever they want when it's done.

So Ya, that's honestly what I'd like to see VH and gnr do, but back to VH. Get Sammy, Mike, and Dave together and go out on the road. Let Wolfie play the adkot stuff of course, But let MA play all the old stuff, they could even let Wolfie open the shows with his New band or whatever. But the main show could have each singer doing 3 songs or so, then take a break and let the other guy go. Maybe even really go all out and let Sammy and Dave do some of their solo stuff with other musicians to give the VH brothers a break. As a huge VH fan of both eras, that would be an incredible show.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a New Roth album, but it just sorta feels like Eddie's well has run dry or something. Either that or he just isn't feeling it with dave. But really it just feels like Eddie and alex just want to go out and play every few years, but don't really seem to be into the whole recording, videos, and promotion type of thing anymore. That's just my observation anyways.

I can't even imagine that tour. It'd be a monster, and a miracle to pull off with all of those egos. I guess anything is possible, though. They already did a reunion tour and album tour with Dave, so I guess that would be a really cool next step. Its not like any of them are doing anything (Chickenfoot is definitely a once in a while thing).

It does seem like Eddie hasn't really cared much since the 90s. I think he's just a recluse but idk. I loved ADKOT and even liked some of III so I'd love another album. I guess we're all just lucky enough to have ADKOT