Straight Outta Compton

J Dog

I would rather shoot myself in the eye with my own semen than sit through that, it sounds embarassing. Ice Cube played by...Ice Cube Jnr! Wow, you can tell a serious artistic desicion was made there, eh? :lol: Load of fuckin' bollocks, shaggin' a dead horse for the sake of profiteering. Whats sick is kids are gonna grow up and look at this shit and take some glossy fuckin' Hollywood wank session as some kind of accurate depiction of how the shit went down.

All it does really is beg a very important question to me. Of all these bands and artists i love that I only know about through print and documentaries and shit, cuz i weren't alive to be into the shit, how much of their posterity has been subject to historical editorialisation?

You wanna do the band a service, how about a proper documentary about the real thing. With context. Maybe tie the climate they came up in to whats going on today is certain avenues in America. It's actually really fertile ground for anyone wanting to make serious piece with a point and a purpose.

The band in charge of the bands biopic, yeah, thats gonna make for impartial storytelling eh? :lol:

but the story behind NWA is one that likely lends itself well to a movie.

crack dealer finances group - crack dealer thinks he runs group - crack dealer gets mugged off - crack dealer dies of AIDS. Throw in a fat white manager and thats pretty much the long and short of it :lol: I know it's the done thing these days to reimagine ever little shitbag tale as some kind of fuckin' allegorical representation of "the spirit of the American way" but sometimes you're just fucking reaching.

The world NWA came into and where they fitted into that and what they represented to people is more interesting than the people themselves.

• Like 1

You wanna do the band a service, how about a proper documentary about the real thing.

Ain't nobody ever make no benjamins on no documentary.

Tell that to The Beatles, sold more with the Anthology than when they were alive, or some such crazy statistic. Doesn't make sense to me writing it like that but i distinctly remember McCartney saying that in the Special Features.

Edited by Len B'stard

crack dealer finances group - crack dealer thinks he runs group - crack dealer gets mugged off - crack dealer dies of AIDS. Throw in a fat white manager and thats pretty much the long and short of it :lol:

HEY! Please use the spoiler tag in the future when posting something like that!! :lol:

• Like 2

Looks awesome to me. Ill go see it for sure. Would love for a Guns N Roses movie to be taken seriously like this. The funny part is those bashing this would be creaming their pants if a GnR trailer came out that looked something like this. You all know it.

I would rather shoot myself in the eye with my own semen than sit through that, it sounds embarassing. Ice Cube played by...Ice Cube Jnr! Wow, you can tell a serious artistic desicion was made there, eh? :lol: Load of fuckin' bollocks, shaggin' a dead horse for the sake of profiteering. Whats sick is kids are gonna grow up and look at this shit and take some glossy fuckin' Hollywood wank session as some kind of accurate depiction of how the shit went down.

All it does really is beg a very important question to me. Of all these bands and artists i love that I only know about through print and documentaries and shit, cuz i weren't alive to be into the shit, how much of their posterity has been subject to historical editorialisation?

You wanna do the band a service, how about a proper documentary about the real thing. With context. Maybe tie the climate they came up in to whats going on today is certain avenues in America. It's actually really fertile ground for anyone wanting to make serious piece with a point and a purpose.

The band in charge of the bands biopic, yeah, thats gonna make for impartial storytelling eh? :lol:

crack dealer finances group - crack dealer thinks he runs group - crack dealer gets mugged off - crack dealer dies of AIDS. Throw in a fat white manager and thats pretty much the long and short of it :lol: I know it's the done thing these days to reimagine ever little shitbag tale as some kind of fuckin' allegorical representation of "the spirit of the American way" but sometimes you're just fucking reaching.

The world NWA came into and where they fitted into that and what they represented to people is more interesting than the people themselves.

Holy fuck I just got a months worth of pretentiousness in that one post.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

Looks awesome to me. Ill go see it for sure. Would love for a Guns N Roses movie to be taken seriously like this. The funny part is those bashing this would be creaming their pants if a GnR trailer came out that looked something like this. You all know it.

Holy fuck I just got a months worth of pretentiousness in that one post.

You don't know what pretentious means, do you? :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

I think it could go either way. Looks promising and looks shaky at the same time. I hope it's good, I have to watch it one way or another. As long as it's not all sappy and cookie cutter, and keep the streets in it, I will be ok.

Love the screen time they give Ren :lol:

They're just going to make it like 'a classic American tale', a rags to riches thing. When really, on every level, its most valuable when understood as an anti-American tale. Because thats what it was. But this is how things are uploaded into the cultural lexicon and effectively de-fanged.

Tits and arse and guns and swearing are really not actually that offensive. The idea of people saying things that the authorities consider dangerous and want to shut down is where the substance of this shit is at, where the value is at. The idea that you're OK in poverty, you're OK surrounded by gang violence, you're OK under-educated and contained...but the minute you start to talk about it, you're a problem. The substance of NWA was in the inadverted political mileage in them.

That and their exploitation. And how they managed to gain some semblence of control by embracing it. And they still all got robbed. I think it should be constructed with something of the spirit of Steal This Book by Abbie Hoffman. The movie should be a 'fuck you' not a 'it all came out alright in wash folks!'. It'll be the latter and not the former though because the industry exists to homogenise. To take the story of, say The Doors or Elvis or NWA and make them allllllllllllllllllll kinda similar, all in this vein of young troubled but enterprising artistic folks on their journey to success, they're designed to proliferate a lifestyle, an idea of what success is according to our aspirational society.

Well i say fuck that, they're not all the same and the value in all this shit is to do with the specifics of it, i don't need it re-imagined to help me find comfort in the fact that we're all after the same fucking thing in life cuz we're not. A movie like this is a great oppertunity to really throw some ideas out there, to be provocative and incendiary without putting a cute little moral to the story and putting a bow around it, it doesn't need that.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

The funny part is those bashing this would be creaming their pants if a GnR trailer came out that looked something like this. You all know it.

Really? How you figure?

You'll have to excuse Bono, he has trouble with the notion of opposing opinions.

As evidenced by the free U2 album thread.

I don't know what's hilarious about people being killed by a lunatic.

Suge has been out of control for twenty years. I have no idea how he is still alive. They might finally have him now depending on how all this goes down.

Looks like there might be a Suge scene in the movie. Near the end of the trailer for a second there is a bunch of guys in a studio booth wearing red and one looks fat.

Edited by J Dog