The Who

Snake-Pit

Probably in my top 5 bands of all time, as long as Moon was with them they were fantastic, at least the most original of any British band of that era, covered the RnB base, nailed it, bought something of their own to it (unlike The Stones), were constantly evolving and just had a totally unique musical dynamic going on that was totally different from what was the norm at the time. Just an absolutely brilliant band, adore them.

First and second albums are their best. Amazing singles too, Pictures of Lily and all that, brilliant fuckin' band.

Edited by Len B'stard

The Sex Pistols, The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, The Smiths, 5 best British bands i can think of.

I think The Who and The Kinks are the most, English, of the bands Britain has produced. They found an authentic 'English' rock n' roll voice rather than looking towards the Mississippi Delta. The Pistols sort of followed on from this.

The Sex Pistols, The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, The Smiths, 5 best British bands i can think of.

I think The Who and The Kinks are the most, English, of the bands Britain has produced. They found an authentic 'English' rock n' roll voice rather than looking towards the Mississippi Delta. The Pistols sort of followed on from this.

Whats exceptional about The Who is although they were in that RnB vein they put their own stamp on it which sets them apart, Moonies drumming and The Oxses bass playing had no business on a rock n roll record. But they made it work. That makes them 100 times more interesting than your Yardbirds and Stones who just sound like a crap Howlin Wolf/Muddy Waters.

you had an argument until you listed the Sex Pistols. One of the fathers of punk? sure......wrote good hooky punk songs...no doubt ........but one of the best 5 British bands of all time.... I know much you love them but not even close.

and if you believe that about the Stones music you have not listened to their catalog enough.

Edited by classicrawker

you had an argument until you listed the Sex Pistols. One of the fathers of punk? sure......wrote good hooky punk songs...no doubt ........but one of the best 5 British bands of all time.... I know much you love them but not even close.
We'll just have to agree to differ on that sir :lol: The reality of it is that they were most blisteringly original band concievable whilst maintaining the rock n roll framework. At least the most important band in popular music history after The Beatles. Edited by Len B'stard

We'll just have to agree to differ on that sir :lol: The reality of it is that they were most blisteringly original band concievable whilst maintaining the rock n roll framework. At least the most important band in popular music history after The Beatles.

Len I understand how much you love the Pistols but your fandom is coloring your opinion. You will not get any argument from me that they were one of the fathers of the punk movement and helped effect social change but there was nothing original about their music IMHO. Don't get me wrong I love the Bollocks album but it is just stripped down RnR.

I would be curious what you think was so original about their music?

We'll just have to agree to differ on that sir :lol: The reality of it is that they were most blisteringly original band concievable whilst maintaining the rock n roll framework. At least the most important band in popular music history after The Beatles.

Len I understand how much you love the Pistols but your fandom is coloring your opinion. You will not get any argument from me that they were one of the fathers of the punk movement and helped effect social change but there was nothing original about their music IMHO. Don't get me wrong I love the Bollocks album but it is just stripped down RnR.

I've love to oblige you CR but we've had this conversation many many times before, haven't we? I've analysed and ragged this discussion to death over many-a topic and quite frankly, even then nobody could really hold a cogent argument together in riposte to the assertions i was making and i don't wannabe accused to making someones thread about The Pistols again so maybe just leave it?

Oh alright, you twisted my arm! :lol: OK, why were they so original? , they were just fuckin' brilliant. No guitar had sounded quite like Steve Joneses before The Bollocks album, that extreme overdub heavy turned up to fuck yet clean as a whistle sound, was and still is pretty much unsurpassed. Bill Price i believe it was called them 'the tightest band I'd ever seen'. Unfalteringly so. The structure of the songs was original. I mean you made a point about them making really good hooky punk songs. To which i say, OK...where's the hook in God Save the Queen? There isn't one :lol: Everyone goes around calling it this wicked tight well structured pop song but it's not, it has no hook, it's almost a rant...very deceptively presented but a rant nonetheless. And this song rant went to No 1 in the charts, that says something. The content of the music, up until that point, no one had heard just pure attitude like that on a record before The Pistols.

They weren't original in that they invented Rock n Roll, they were working with a pre-existing format but inasmuch as one can work within a genre and be original they nailed it. In fact, thats about the most difficult way to approach it. Anyway can break the rules and go way out and then sound original, I mean it's just got to cuz it's a departure...Pistols didn't do that.

This is a bit of a crap version of prior attempts at this question, simply because I'm a bit older now and to be honest i don't even remember half of the stuff i used to have as points to this question and also because i don't even really listen to The Pistols anymore.

Edited by Len B'stard

I've love to oblige you CR but we've had this conversation many many times before, haven't we? I've analysed and ragged this discussion to death over many-a topic and quite frankly, even then nobody could really hold a cogent argument together in riposte to the assertions i was making and i don't wannabe accused to making someones thread about The Pistols again so maybe just leave it?

Oh alright, you twisted my arm! :lol: OK, why were they so original? , they were just fuckin' brilliant. No guitar had sounded quite like Steve Joneses before The Bollocks album, that extreme overdub heavy turned up to fuck yet clean as a whistle sound, was and still is pretty much unsurpassed. Bill Price i believe it was called them 'the tightest band I'd ever seen'. Unfalteringly so. The structure of the songs was original. I mean you made a point about them making really good hooky punk songs. To which i say, OK...where's the hook in God Save the Queen? There isn't one :lol: Everyone goes around calling it this wicked tight well structured pop song but it's not, it has no hook, it's almost a rant...very deceptively presented but a rant nonetheless. And this song rant went to No 1 in the charts, that says something. The content of the music, up until that point, no one had heard just pure attitude like that on a record before The Pistols.

They weren't original in that they invented Rock n Roll, they were working with a pre-existing format but inasmuch as one can work within a genre and be original they nailed it. In fact, thats about the most difficult way to approach it. Anyway can break the rules and go way out and then sound original, I mean it's just got to cuz it's a departure...Pistols didn't do that.

This is a bit of a crap version of prior attempts at this question, simply because I'm a bit older now and to be honest i don't even remember half of the stuff i used to have as points to this question and also because i don't even really listen to The Pistols anymore.

Sorry Len but "God Save the Queen" absolutely has a repetitive hook to it which is why it was so popular. If you had mentioned "Holiday in the Sun" I might have agreed with you but God has a killer hook which is what attracted me to it.

They played excellent punk tinged rock but it was not original and really did not stretch the current genre. I am not seeing how they broke the rules? In fact compared to most punk bands of the era they were actually more conventional sounding then most IMHO. We will have to agree to disagree on this one as I don't want to hijack the thread.

Back on topic I am finally going to see the Who, what's left of them, this coming October. Have great seats and I am looking forward to it.

Sorry Len but "God Save the Queen" absolutely has a repetitive hook to it which is why it was so popular. If you had mentioned "Holiday in the Sun" I might have agreed with you but God has a killer hook which is what attracted me to it.

Holidays has a hook, a chorus etc, GSTQ doesn't. If you hear one I'd be fascinated to hear where.

Holidays has a hook, a chorus etc, GSTQ doesn't. If you hear one I'd be fascinated to hear where.

LOL the whole "God Save the Queen" song is one big guitar hook. It repeats the same guitar part over and over. Kind of hard to prove in writing. I guess we must have a different definition of what a hook is. Oh well again we will have to agree to disagree :shrugs:

LOL the whole "God Save the Queen" song is one big guitar hook. It repeats the same guitar part over and over. Kind of hard to prove in writing. I guess we must have a different definition of what a hook is. Oh well again we will have to agree to disagree :shrugs:

By that rationale the entire song is a hook, which is contrary to what a hook is, hence my statement.

By that rationale the entire song is a hook, which is contrary to what a hook is, hence my statement.

We will have to agree to disagree Len as neither of us is going to change our position or opinion.

Back on topic anyone read Pete's autobiography yet? I have it in my queue to read and have heard very good things about it.

Several month ago he stated he hated The Who and touring and was sorry he committed to the current tour. Wonder if he has softened his stance as they play dates. Just hope he is in a better mood this coming October when he plays Boston.

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2014-10-29/pete-townshend-hates-the-who