Organising and Playing your music collection

Facekicker

I'm fucking losing the plot here.

Have totally had it with iTunes its a pile of fucking shit and gets worse and worse with each release. Now Spotify is going the same route, half the features don't even fucking work.

Ok what are my options, I just want to play my music, make playlists and possible get some recommendations without having constant issues and being plagued by shitty software bugs.

This is me right now

50443d26afa96f1e19000038.gif

Whilst I can appreciate the audio quality of vinyl and have an extensive collection (likewise with CD'S) I am looking for something that doesn't require a whole warehouse to store it.

I have over 200GB of music, it's nice to be able to access it all from my phone or when I'm on the other side of the planet.

I remember hitch hiking across western Canada carrying 11 mix tapes with me in my back pack, rocking my old Sony walkman haha. I kinda miss making mix tapes. I also love the sound of a cassette in your hands. the way the tape and wheels would make noise. Nostalgia I guess.

Winamp.

tK0iYNR.png

Also, Tag&Rename is my vital tool to keep ID tags right. It hooks up to CDDB and Amazon and has some great mass-tagging functions.

144404f.jpg

Edit:

That Winamp screenshot is mine. The Tag&Rename one isn't. I mean, like I'd ever have Kanye on my computer. :rolleyes:

Edited by username
  • Like 2

Whilst I can appreciate the audio quality of vinyl and have an extensive collection (likewise with CD'S) I am looking for something that doesn't require a whole warehouse to store it.

I have over 200GB of music, it's nice to be able to access it all from my phone or when I'm on the other side of the planet.

If you had an android phone you could use Google Play. You can download straight to your phone or store music in the cloud. It's what I use for my mobile listening, but as for my computer listening and organization I use Foobar

• Like 1

I just organized my bootleg CD collection this weekend in special boxes that hold 100 each and was amazed that I have over 1000 silver disc bootlegs alone. Can't even tell you how many vinyl LP's I have. I know if is a pain in the ass and takes up a lot of space but I don't think I will ever give up CD's and LP's.

I still have iTunes 10.x. Refused to update to 11 when I saw the reviews.... I think they're up to 12.x now? My roommate hates it. I see no reason to update.

I absolutely hate iTunes. I have it for syncing my iPod, but other than a sync every 3 months or so I don't use it. It's really REALLY shit imo. I hate tools with a my way or the highway attitude like Apple has.

I still have iTunes 10.x. Refused to update to 11 when I saw the reviews.... I think they're up to 12.x now? My roommate hates it. I see no reason to update.

I absolutely hate iTunes. I have it for syncing my iPod, but other than a sync every 3 months or so I don't use it. It's really REALLY shit imo. I hate tools with a my way or the highway attitude like Apple has.

I like iTunes's (well pre 11.x) layout. For organizational purposes I find it very useful (playlists, EQing, volume control, etc.).

I was thinking of putting my CDs in order of when they were released but I'd probably lose my mind doing it.

At the moment I'm going through CD's I don't listen to too often.

I've just finished Third Stage by Boston.

Hah! I think I have roughly 450 cd's. They're in those IKEA cd cabinet thing. I have them ordered alphabetically by artist and per artist by release date. In fact it drives me nuts when I see one that's in the wrong place (because the Mrs put it there :P ). I'm really very OCD about it. :P

I use iTunes (haven't upgraded in forever) or occasionally VLC for FLAC files. Otherwise I'm either listening to CD, vinyl or my ipod.

What on earth is that guy doing? :lol:

Do you not carry your turntable around with you? It's the new iPod. All the cool kids do it. :lol:

I would just rob the bastard just for the sake of it :lol:

• Like 1

I like iTunes's (well pre 11.x) layout. For organizational purposes I find it very useful (playlists, EQing, volume control, etc.).

Agreed that it's gotten much worse since 11 onward. But even the old 10 layout didn't match up to decent music players like winamp imo.

Thing is, every time I use Apple software I feel that Steve Jobs is grinning from the afterlife because I'm settling for doing things the way he thinks is best rather than the way I want to do them. And I'm way too stubborn for that. Apple always makes me feel like I'm being pushed in some direction along with the other livestock. I have an iPod Classic because I love the interface of the device and the fact that it's indestructible. Mine has been drowned and/or fallen down (mostly while cycling) countless times and it works like a charm. But the software still feels like bending over and taking it up the tailpipe.