Alien: New Movie Confirmed with Director Neil Blomkamp

Powerage5

It probably won't tank. My guess is, they'll be conservative with the budget (80-120 mil) and Xenomorphs will be all over the marketing. FOX is biting their nails and they want their Alien back.

Over the years, I'm sure Ridley's had more latitude at times to do what he wants and at others, to kowtow to what the studio needs. He still has a vision that he wants to see through, but like that black goo in Prometheus, it just keeps mutating. The mutation here is the relevancy to ALIEN, which seems to wax and wane. First it was a prequel, then it wasn't a prequel, then it turned out to be a sorta-kinda prequel. Now it needs to be a prequel.

There's no gas in Prometheus as a franchise, so in order to do another one and to make some sort of follow-up, it has to be an ALIEN film. People don't want to see beating-around-the-bush. They want the iconic monster, the haunting atmosphere, the terror they remember. Ridley knows he's got to put up or shut-up, so now, the idea that the story he's weaving is part of the ALIEN fabric, doesn't seem like such a compromise.

But yeah, I'm totally not down for three of these. One will get made for sure. The success of it will be proportional to how familiar the film is to ALIEN.

Kinda sad that we're talking about a Prometheus sequel thats pretending to be an Alien prequel and the start of it's own trilogy, instead of talking about the Blomkamp movie that this thread was originally created for.

Its gonna feel kinda weird if Blomkamp's film is just shoved somewhere in between this supposed new prequel trilogy

Edited by rocknroll41

Ok, maybe not "cancelled" but "on indefinite hold".

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3368074/neill-blomkamp-exits-his-alien-sequel-for-now/

Apparently it would have featured Newt as the main character and Hicks as support...which, whether people like Alien 3 or not, doesn't make any sense ( though I would have loved seeing it ).

Because they were going to pretend that 3 and Ressurection were dreams that Ripley had while floating around space after Aliens. So they would still be a part of the series, if you wanted them to be, or they can be ignored as well. I think it's the perfect way to reignite the series, I think it sounds great.

The problem is that "it was just a dream" is a really cheap scenaristic device people use in case of a major fuckup so they can backtrack...

Everybody knows those movies weren't intended as "just dreams". It's just as retarded as the Colonial Marines explanation for Hicks being alive and there being a facehugger on the Sulaco...

• Like 1