Bruce Dickinson has cancer (in treatment; prognosis "extremely good")

GivenToFly

From Iron Maiden facebook:

BRUCE DICKINSON UNDERGOES CANCER TREATMENT

Just before Christmas, Maiden vocalist Bruce Dickinson visited his doctor for a routine check-up. This led to tests and biopsies which revealed a small cancerous tumour at the back of his tongue. A seven week course of chemotherapy and radiology treatment was completed yesterday. As the tumour was caught in the early stages, the prognosis thankfully is extremely good. Bruce’s medical team fully expect him to make a complete recovery with the all clear envisaged by late May. It will then take a further few months for Bruce to get back to full fitness. In the meantime we would ask for your patience, understanding and respect for Bruce and his family’s privacy until we update everyone by the end of May. Bruce is doing very well considering the circumstances and the whole team are very positive.

https://www.facebook.com/ironmaiden/photos/a.406269382050.189128.172685102050/10152610072427051/?type=1&theater

BRUCE DICKINSON UNDERGOES CANCER TREATMENT

Just before Christmas, Maiden vocalist Bruce Dickinson visited his doctor for a routine check-up. This led to tests and biopsies which revealed a small cancerous tumour at the back of his tongue. A seven week course of chemotherapy and radiology treatment was completed yesterday. As the tumour was caught in the early stages, the prognosis thankfully is ...extremely good. Bruce’s medical team fully expect him to make a complete recovery with the all clear envisaged by late May. It will then take a further few months for Bruce to get back to full fitness. In the meantime we would ask for your patience, understanding and respect for Bruce and his family’s privacy until we update everyone by the end of May. Bruce is doing very well considering the circumstances and the whole team are very positive.

Glad it was caught early enough, so he should be able to recover fully and kick ass again in 2015. Get well, Bruce!

Merged the two threads.

Holy shit, what a shock. It sounds like he's doing well though - I hope he does indeed make a full recovery, and I hope they're able to get back on the road sooner rather than later.

It will be, the bastard cancer get caught at an early stage so he will be well

i also think that Iron Maiden will tour sooner than GNR ,lol

Edited by Motivation

I guess that also explains the silence in regards to hitting the road again. I'm glad things look good! Bruce is the man.

Not to get too far off the topic at hand, but everyone in the fan club is bitching about how long they've been taking to announce dates. They usually only announce North American dates 3 to 4 months before the first gig. The rumors this year were of an August to October tour, so it's not like they were really off schedule anyways. However, with this news, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a tour this year after all. It would be the first year since 1997 without any tour dates, and Rod claims the band needs to play at least a few gigs every year to keep in shape, but it would certainly be understandable if they took this year off. Trying to stay positive here, but maybe this is a good opportunity for everyone to work on their solo stuff a bit. Nicko is already doing a handful of gigs with his side band The McBrainiacs (I was supposed to see two of those gigs this weekend, but they got rescheduled due to weather <_<) - it would be easy enough for him to flesh it into more of a full tour, especially since he's the one that needs to keep in shape the most. Steve could take this time to finally do a British Lion tour in the US, which he said he wanted to do at some point. Adrian has Primal Rock Rebellion, which he never explicitly said would tour, but he'd now have the opportunity to. And Dave can go golfing and Janick can travel the world finding new Irish pubs :lol:

• Like 1

What a thing to find out first thing in the morning. :(

As for the other guys, I had a friend stop by with some pals at Nicko's restaurant in Florida, and he says they found him there just wiping tables and counters, setting up the glasses just before lunchtime, they didn't want to disrupt him but one of the waitresses went and got him to say hi, I think he gave them free ribs or something. They returned the favor by drinking 21 Troopers. :lol:

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 2

As for the other guys, I had a friend stop by with some pals at Nicko's restaurant in Florida, and he says they found him there just wiping tables and counters, setting up the glasses just before lunchtime, they didn't want to disrupt him but one of the waitresses went and got him to say hi, I think he gave them free ribs or something. They returned the favor by drinking 21 Troopers. :lol:

Yeah, Nicko actually works at Rock N' Roll Ribs pretty frequently. It's a cool place, and some of the best barbecue I've ever had :)

Yeah, Nicko actually works at Rock N' Roll Ribs pretty frequently. It's a cool place, and some of the best barbecue I've ever had :)

It's gotten pretty good reviews from what I've read.

Man cancer is such a bitch. I know 2 people right now fighting it. And the treatments, they are hell too. Hope he beats it and gets back on the road. Saw them at Ozzfest and even though I'm not their biggest fan I'm glad I got a chance to see them.

• 1 month later...

Looks like no tour this year. Colin Price (Dave's guitar tech) posted on Facebook that he'll be looking for a gig for the rest of this year due to cancellations. That's a pretty concrete confirmation to me. Disappointing, but not surprising. Still though, I think it's the right choice - I'd rather see them take a year off and have Bruce come back as strong as ever.

For those keeping track, this will be the first year without any gigs since 1997.

• Like 1