Del James

The story of Axl talking to a fan at an afterparty and Del trying to pull Axl away bugged me. Axl apparently kept telling Del he'd be there in a minute and eventually told him to just back off.

Admittedly he's likely just trying to protect his friend and doesn't want Axl to say stuff that will get on the boards, cause problems etc. But there's a part of me that just thinks 'Who do you think you are, sunshine? Leave the rock star alone to talk to his fans. In fact, go to the bar and get the fan a drink.'

He was also apparently in the clique with Tommy that bullied Bucket and tried to run him out of the band and for that, if it's true, he is a douche.

If the thing about bullying Bucket is true, it's definitely douchey. I wonder why he would have been a part of that, though.

For pulling Axl away...he has been the tour manager and he seems to be generally cool about interacting with fans (and leaving Axl to do that) so I would wonder if there was something Axl actually *needed* to do or take care of at that moment. I remember reading another story here about how TB was trying to get Axl away from the fans at some hotel, and Axl was ignoring them...and they were actually trying to get him to a flight. Again, no love for TB, but since Axl isn't the most punctual, they were trying to keep him on track in that particular instance. Could this thing with Del have been the same?

The gist of the story as very specifically that Del was trying to stop Axl talking to the fan about Guns business, not that he needed to be somewhere.

The Bucket bullying has been talked about by a few people over the years. It was partly that people liked Robin and when he came back, didn't feel there was a need for 3 players; partly jealousy of his ability and substantial contributions to the songs and partly personality clashes. Del and Tommy seem like pretty ordinary, macho, blokey-blokes and they didn't like or want to get on with this 'weirdo.'

It's one thing for band members to be dicks in that way (and I personally wish Axl had started a new band with Bucket, Robin and Brain and gotten someone far more talented than Stinson who actually liked old Guns music) but for a glorified hanger-on to try and influence someone leaving the band because they don't like them personally is the height of cuntyness to me. He might be a nice bloke in person and he might have been a good friend to Axl but several stories like these over the years have made me suspicious.

No, I agree, if those stories are true they're pretty awful. Del shouldn't be trying to dictate who is in the band, and bullying someone that way is really shitty. Especially if it's about a personal dislike and not about what Bucket could do in the band.

Is that the same as Slash disliking Paul Huge or did he not bully him, just let Axl know he didn't want him in the band? Was he nowhere near the talent of BH?

How did Slash get into this discussion, LOL! I don't think bullying is ever okay and it's a very childish thing for grown men to do...but I do think members of a band should have a say in who is in the band. That's the difference between Slash and Del, perhaps - Slash actually was playing in the band and would have had to work directly with Paul or anyone else that was brought in. I've never heard that anyone bullied him, though. Just that objections were raised.

Sorry Stella, it's not a Slash bash thing as I've got nothing against Slash at all. I wasn't sure if he bullied Paul Huge like the others seemed to have bullied BH & BBF that's all. He didn't like Paul from the start & didn't have a say but was told he was in the band now & that's that. Agree that it's childish to bully another new band member when you're a grown man - different for women cos we are known to be bitchy & we own that name. :bitchfight:

Sorry Stella, it's not a Slash bash thing as I've got nothing against Slash at all. I wasn't sure if he bullied Paul Huge like the others seemed to have bullied BH & BBF that's all. He didn't like Paul from the start & didn't have a say but was told he was in the band now & that's that. Agree that it's childish to bully another new band member when you're a grown man - different for women cos we are known to be bitchy & we own that name. :bitchfight:

LOL, no worries. Slash-bashing seems to come up on this site fairly often so I guess I just expect it now. :) Yeah, I've never heard that anyone bullied Paul. What I'd heard was that Slash (and actually the others, but mostly Slash) objected because they didn't feel his chops were up to it, and there was a lot of upsetment when Paul's parts were used on "Sympathy for the Devil."

I have however read that when Dizzy joined the band, the others (everyone other than Axl) wouldn't speak to him for two weeks. >:( Not bullying, exactly, just pettiness. That one is so silly to me, because they'd known Dizzy for like five years by that point and apparently there had been talk of him actually participating on AfD on some level. He apparently was everyone's friend, not just Axl's.

And I dunno, I think grown women who bully are just as silly and childish as men who do it...

#bullyville

edit: I'm starting to think that people nowadays think that they have an open license to be as big a fuckwit as possible and if anybody mentions the fact they are a fuckwit it's bullying.

It's part of this shit fad of calling people "haters." Self reflection is for pussies. Never question anything about yourself. If anyone criticizes, they're a hater. :jerkoff:

• Like 2

Del has always seemed like a cool guy to me, not usre what the problem some people have with him is. As for what he does, I would imagine a great many things, but as for official titles there is nothing lisgted in the early itineraries for Del. Even in the later itineraries I see Road Manager, but not tour manager:

http://www.troccolitm.com/1106010302Itin4.JPG

http://www.troccolitm.com/Itin2010Can3.JPG

But my absolute favorite title for Del can be found here (look on the bottom):

http://www.troccolitm.com/93TourItin4.JPG

Lol! That is a great one!

#bullyville

edit: I'm starting to think that people nowadays think that they have an open license to be as big a fuckwit as possible and if anybody mentions the fact they are a fuckwit it's bullying.

I'd hope not. And people do tend to fall to pieces at the slightest criticism and jokes these days. But if we define bullying as constant and consistent serious verbal and emotional harassment designed specifically to alienate, upset and impede someone - we all know damn well that it happens among adults and does occur in a lot of workplaces. Perhaps for adults we should just call it harassment, I don't know.

Edited by stella

#bullyville

It's part of this shit fad of calling people "haters." Self reflection is for pussies. Never question anything about yourself. If anyone criticizes, they're a hater. :jerkoff:

Lol I often think "haters" is an internet name, can't recall anyone using it before.

Stella, I was joking about the women bullying. I agree that's it's childish & there's no need for it. :heart:

#bullyville

Lol I often think "haters" is an internet name, can't recall anyone using it before.

Stella, I was joking about the women bullying. I agree that's it's childish & there's no need for it. :heart:

No worries at all, and thank you. <3 I have like no sense of humor sometimes so I'm slow on these things. :)

I always thought Del was a jornalist for RIP magazine, but then I read the whole story in Slash book.

I don't have a problem with him and I understand why he was given that job. When you are a huge rockstar like Axl, you can't trust many people so you trust the ones who have stuck with you for so long. Also, when you are an adult, friendships stop happening...

Guess it's only natural fans "hate" or dislike their idols closest friends/partners... It's just silly jealousy for not occupying that place in the idol's life.

#bullyville

No worries at all, and thank you. <3 I have like no sense of humor sometimes so I'm slow on these things. :)

I have a dry sense of humour which doesn't come across as humour when typed. When I re-read it later I can see it could be interpreted wrongly but I tend to post & regret it when I'm taken seriously. :lol:

• Like 1

IMO, it's a sign of a weak ass culture that deserves to get stomped out when grown men start talking about bullying. :lol:

IMHO the weakness lies in the grown men and women who feel the need to bully and harass. At that point in one's life, it's a sad and insecure sort of person who feels the need to dedicate their time to hurting others.

• Like 1

IMO, it's a sign of a weak ass culture that deserves to get stomped out when grown men start talking about bullying. :lol:

IMHO the weakness lies in the grown men and women who feel the need to bully and harass. At that point in one's life, it's a sad and insecure sort of person who feels the need to dedicate their time to hurting others.

Yes, those hypothetical and imaginary adult bullies who dedicate their time to hurting others are the worst.

#bullyville

im-selfishimpaient_thumb.jpg

#deep

• Like 1

Yes, those hypothetical and imaginary adult bullies who dedicate their time to hurting others are the worst.

If you honestly don't see that there ARE adults out there who are malicious and use their time to harass and hurt others, I don't know what to tell you. Workplace bullying and harassment very much IS a thing.

So you think something like this is imaginary?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28933724

Or this?

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/brianna-wu-gamergate

If you honestly don't see that there ARE adults out there who are malicious and use their time to harass and hurt others, I don't know what to tell you. Workplace bullying and harassment very much IS a thing.

Or this?

yeh... but it's rock n roll man! and he did wear that bucket / mask, so he brought it on himself really, the woofter *insert heavy amounts of sarcasm throughout*

• Like 1

yeh... but it's rock n roll man! and he did wear that bucket / mask, so he brought it on himself really, the woofter *insert heavy amounts of sarcasm throughout*

LOL! Of course /s

What honestly confuses me about the whole thing with Buckethead is that it's been said that Axl really, really wanted him in the band and went to lengths to get him there. I don't know that I believe the chicken coop story but he took the guy to Disneyland, bought him presents, etc. etc. etc. TB and Del seem to try really hard not to piss Axl off or trigger his rage. So WHY would Del and the others try to drive Bucket out of the band, under those circumstances?! Wouldn't they have figured that it was directly opposite of what Axl would have wanted?

Ive met Del and he is a cool person, I asked him about what happend to the girl in November Rain, he said to read his book, He tours with Axl's band and basically thats his job, he has to do whatever Axl says, If Axl hates Slash, then even del and people in Axl's camp have to hate Slash, But I guess Axl has kinda been changing, not towards Slash, but he is on talking terms with Duff and Izzy, so even del would talk to Duff and Izzy cause Axl is talking to them, I guess he doesnt wants to lose his job, touring with Axl's band is his kitchen money, even though Del has known and has been more closer to Axl, but TB has the final say in everything Axl does.

I dint know about the buckethead bullying thing, but it could be true, Buckethead is a very talented person, he is different and he has done some amazing work on his solo albums, I cant say about Del, but Tommy could have bullied him, Ive met Tommy and he seemed rude to me, I really dint like his attitude, In one of the discussion topics I saw that someone gave Buckethead to Sign on Chinese, but he refused, So I guess he is pretty hurt and does not wants to do anything related to Axl's band, If anyone knows then update me with the bullying thing with bucket

Or this?

It's a veritable epidemic.

Or this?

It's a veritable epidemic.

Yeah, actually, it is. Go look at the rates of adult suicide and workplace-related PTSD sometime. Just because you refuse to acknowledge something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.