Led Zeppelin

dalsh327

If you consider out of key/time guitar solos 'timeless', so be it.

That was why Eric Clapton was confused by the praises for his famous Crosswords solo. He said he played it off key, kept going anyway because he is that kind of guy. But people loved it because it just sounded different.

Led Zeppelin I and II were excellent blues records. I felt they were loving tributes to the genre. Page and Plant were also into folk music, elements of it you see from their very first album with Black Mountain Side. It was almost like they were looking for the sound in their first three albums and found it in their fourth. Since I've Been Loving You is a fantastic blues song.

There was a little resentment Jeff Beck had when he heard Zeppelin's version of You Shook Me a year after his version was released with The Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart.

Take your pick which you think is better.

A lot of people got into the Blues through bands like The Stones, Yardbirds, Cream, Bluesbreakers, Animals Paul Butterfields Band and Zeppelin. But the fact that those guys were so into them means that a lot of people were listening. It is not just Blues, but American music in general.

At the time they were doing it, there wasn't this hipster blues purist thing that came around only after Zep and the rest of those British bands made people aware of the original blues guys. But so many bands of the time were taking songs they liked and doing their own thing with them.

Quite frankly all this bullshit about 'THE BLUES HAD COMPLETELY VANISHED UNTIL THE STONES REMINDED US ALL!' Is a load of fuckin' crap, people knew of the blues through Jazz and its connection there and a great many folk artists that sang blues songs...I mean it weren't Mick Jagger letting Lonnie Donnegan in on The Rock Island Line etc.

And Zep cannot possibly be included in amongst the first to bring blues to the forefront even out of the British rock n roll contingent. Alexis Korner and them were going in 60/61, Zep didnt form until 68 or 69.

But what did those jazz and folk artists mean to the pop culture after rock took over the charts? Seems to me Zep and those guys were hitting a different audience. And not one that necessarily came up worshipping BB King or T Bone.

And even if Zep was not one of the "first", they could very well be considered one of the "most". How many kids in Milan or Detroit or Osaka would've know who Alexis Korner was or what he was doing?

At the time they were doing it, there wasn't this hipster blues purist thing that came around only after Zep and the rest of those British bands made people aware of the original blues guys. But so many bands of the time were taking songs they liked and doing their own thing with them.

Quite frankly all this bullshit about 'THE BLUES HAD COMPLETELY VANISHED UNTIL THE STONES REMINDED US ALL!' Is a load of fuckin' crap, people knew of the blues through Jazz and its connection there and a great many folk artists that sang blues songs...I mean it weren't Mick Jagger letting Lonnie Donnegan in on The Rock Island Line etc.

And Zep cannot possibly be included in amongst the first to bring blues to the forefront even out of the British rock n roll contingent. Alexis Korner and them were going in 60/61, Zep didnt form until 68 or 69.

But what did those jazz and folk artists mean to the pop culture after rock took over the charts? Seems to me Zep and those guys were hitting a different audience. And not one that necessarily came up worshipping BB King or T Bone.

And even if Zep was not one of the "first", they could very well be considered one of the "most". How many kids in Milan or Detroit or Osaka would've know who Alexis Korner was or what he was doing?

Are we arguing over whether or not Zeppelin introduced white kids in the 1960s to the blues, because that simply is not true? The Stones, who were sort of students to Alexis Korner, were formed 1962 and many kids in those places you mentioned discovered the Stones from 1965 onward. You might also cite The Animals and Yardbirds who were 'British Invasion' bands whose repertoires consisted largely of blues music. You might also mention second generation British invasion acts such as Hendrix (yes I know, using 'British' to indicate a movement, not a nationality) and Cream, who produced a beefier psychedelic brand of the blues but never completely strayed from the genre (cf. ''Red House'' and ''Hear My Train A Comin').

Are we arguing over whether or not Zeppelin introduced white kids in the 1960s to the blues, because that simply is not true? The Stones, who were sort of students to Alexis Korner, were formed 1962 and many kids in those places you mentioned discovered the Stones from 1965 onward. You might also cite The Animals and Yardbirds who were 'British Invasion' bands whose repertoires consisted largely of blues music. You might also mention second generation British invasion acts such as Hendrix (yes I know, using 'British' to indicate a movement, not a nationality) and Cream, who produced a beefier psychedelic brand of the blues but never completely strayed from the genre (cf. ''Red House'' and ''Hear My Train A Comin').

My basic point is that it didnt take Led Zeppelin or hipsters for there to be blues pureism in this country, Muddy Waters played here in 58, Big Bill Broonzy in 52 and others beside, plus Trad Jazz was really quite big here, it didnt take Led Zeppelin or The Stones or Alexis Korner.

It was a thing i think, it had some kinda effect, its basically what they heard growing up, for example Pete Townshends old man played Trad Jazz, loads of em came from backgrounds that had that element in it, thought i totally agree, some of em talk to specifically rejecting It...which in itself is a manner of being effected by it. And more than that they heard it in clubs and heard it anyway, especially stuff like the old blues guitarists. Edited by Len B'stard

Of course but blues was a niche thing. The Stones themselves have discussed the fact that there was only one place in the whole of London which accommodated blues music, The Ealing Club where Korner played. Blues enthusiasts tended to gate crash Jazz clubs who looked down pompously at these blues obsessed interlopers. When Keith bumped into Mick at Dartford Station he was surprised to see The Best of Muddy Waters under his arm, that there was actually someone who shared his passion.

And this was cosmopolitan London!

I suppose the British groups popularised it - a seminal event was Little Red Rooster reaching #1 in the United Kingdom.

• 3 months later...