Led Zeppelin

dalsh327

Spent the morning checking them out. There's some good material in the new releases. The "new" songs are the highlights- pod, st tristin's sword, and sugar mama and I like some of the alternative takes.

Still bummed there was never a studio take of As Long As I Have You

• Like 1

Jimmy is a known perfectionist and very sensitive to criticism but I wish he would just release more of the live material that are in the vaults warts and all. How many times can he keep remastering and releasing the same material over an over again?

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

Jimmy is a known perfectionist and very sensitive to criticism but I wish he would just release more of the live material that are in the vaults warts and all. How many times can he keep remastering and releasing the same material over an over again?

As much as Queen. The two are locked in competition.

To be fair, most everyone is sensitive to criticism.

By the way this post sucks.

• Like 2

As much as Queen. The two are locked in competition.

Seems like the M.O. of dead or near dead Classic Rock bands these days to repackage their old stuff over and over. The Stones might be one of the biggest reissue offenders although Sir Mick is finally loosening his grip and we are getting fantastic archive releases. Hopefully Jimmy and Robert will go this route and give us more live stuff from the vault in the future.

I give Queen credit for one thing for finally releasing the excellent 74 Rainbow shows. One of my favorite CD's from the past year.

Ready for a rant? OK, here it comes:

Fuck Zep and Page with these re-releases. They've been absolute shit the entire way through and Page truly shafted what could have really been a great endeavor. As I've said from the beginning, the original albums sound great here. But honestly, aside from audiophiles that are listening to them, we've had these remastered at least 3 times by this point. These are probably the best, but its not like I wasn't enjoying them how we already had them.

The main treat of these reissues was the bonuses, which have been spare to none the entire way through (and now we're done). I'd say this last batch was the shittiest yet but thats actually hardly true. Granted, these are my least favorite Zep albums, so its a bit unfair judging them from that standpoint. But actually I really like In Through The Out Door (far from my favorite but a solid record) and what we literally get is a "rough mix" album that, to my ears, is nearly identical to the original. Seriously, can anyone point me to any differences between those and the original albums? I haven't heard the album in awhile, but I know these songs pretty well and I couldn't spot one difference, besides Robert's vocals maybe not having effects on them (but they still sounded like the same takes used on the record).

Presence IMO has always been the worst Zep album (I don't count Coda as part of their "active discography"). I don't know if I'm in the minority on that, but I think the album in almost all aspects is shit. Its saved, and I mean SAVED, by the epic that is Achilles, and one more song that barely counts since its a semi-cover in Nobody's Fault But Mine (which admittedly I really like). Never gotten on board with the rest and the companion disc doesn't help matters. Again, to me, the "reference mixes" sound essentially just like the original recordings. This is the album I'm least versed in, so its hard for me to say that as definitively as the others but they sound similar. Again, can anybody point me to the differences? Achilles sounds like the outro has some maybe different guitar solos, but again those may be there on the original and I just haven't heard it in awhile. Royal Orleans obviously having the different vocals with Bonham, making an already bad song truly unlistenable IMO. What they could and should have done with a reissue of this album is add on a live show from that tour, which at least would've given incentive to people like me that don't like this record to still buy it again.

Then you get the one unreleased track on this companion and I hate to be dramatic, but what the fuck is that?! Thats what you give us?! A song that in almost all respects doesn't even really sound like Zeppelin. Its not that bad, but putting it on here as the "sole unreleased track" makes it shittier than it is. Straight piano for like 2-3 minutes then some light instrumental that could or could not be Zeppelin if it wasn't on an album that bares their name. And I should have known it wouldn't have vocals. So far in the first 8 records there has been ONE unreleased track (4 in total) with vocals, and its Robert essentially singing through a tin can. Pitiful. And again, the song is actually not that bad. Its really quite pleasant and good, and almost sounds like their attempt at A Whiter Shade Of Pale in some sections. But overall its ruined by where and how its placed on these reissues (or maybe the better word is "overlooked" than ruined. Its a big "who cares?"). The fact that none of these discs were boosted with live material, ESPECIALLY these last 4 of which there is none officially released (barring the few songs on the Zep DVD) is ridiculous.

Haven't heard Coda yet, but it doesn't shock me thats the best companion disc. Its got the most variety and its two discs that isn't just a re-creation of the album it comes with. It wins simply because the album its on is a hodgepodge collection of unreleased songs, so the reissue almost runs as a 3 disc set of outtakes from their whole career. And speaking of Coda, can anyone tell what the difference between THAT In The Light is from the Graffiti one? Sorry to be such a downer, and it truly doesn't actually bother me this much, but in the moment this is how I'm feeling. Happy they are finally on Spotify so I didn't have to buy these. Maybe I'll go out and spring for ITTOD just for the brown bag packaging, but I don't really want to give Page that satisfaction. This whole campaign couldn't have really been done worse in my mind.

Ready for a rant? OK, here it comes:

Fuck Zep and Page with these re-releases. They've been absolute shit the entire way through and Page truly shafted what could have really been a great endeavor. As I've said from the beginning, the original albums sound great here. But honestly, aside from audiophiles that are listening to them, we've had these remastered at least 3 times by this point. These are probably the best, but its not like I wasn't enjoying them how we already had them.

The main treat of these reissues was the bonuses, which have been spare to none the entire way through (and now we're done). I'd say this last batch was the shittiest yet but thats actually hardly true. Granted, these are my least favorite Zep albums, so its a bit unfair judging them from that standpoint. But actually I really like In Through The Out Door (far from my favorite but a solid record) and what we literally get is a "rough mix" album that, to my ears, is nearly identical to the original. Seriously, can anyone point me to any differences between those and the original albums? I haven't heard the album in awhile, but I know these songs pretty well and I couldn't spot one difference, besides Robert's vocals maybe not having effects on them (but they still sounded like the same takes used on the record).

Presence IMO has always been the worst Zep album (I don't count Coda as part of their "active discography"). I don't know if I'm in the minority on that, but I think the album in almost all aspects is shit. Its saved, and I mean SAVED, by the epic that is Achilles, and one more song that barely counts since its a semi-cover in Nobody's Fault But Mine (which admittedly I really like). Never gotten on board with the rest and the companion disc doesn't help matters. Again, to me, the "reference mixes" sound essentially just like the original recordings. This is the album I'm least versed in, so its hard for me to say that as definitively as the others but they sound similar. Again, can anybody point me to the differences? Achilles sounds like the outro has some maybe different guitar solos, but again those may be there on the original and I just haven't heard it in awhile. Royal Orleans obviously having the different vocals with Bonham, making an already bad song truly unlistenable IMO. What they could and should have done with a reissue of this album is add on a live show from that tour, which at least would've given incentive to people like me that don't like this record to still buy it again.

Then you get the one unreleased track on this companion and I hate to be dramatic, but what the fuck is that?! Thats what you give us?! A song that in almost all respects doesn't even really sound like Zeppelin. Its not that bad, but putting it on here as the "sole unreleased track" makes it shittier than it is. Straight piano for like 2-3 minutes then some light instrumental that could or could not be Zeppelin if it wasn't on an album that bares their name. And I should have known it wouldn't have vocals. So far in the first 8 records there has been ONE unreleased track (4 in total) with vocals, and its Robert essentially singing through a tin can. Pitiful. And again, the song is actually not that bad. Its really quite pleasant and good, and almost sounds like their attempt at A Whiter Shade Of Pale in some sections. But overall its ruined by where and how its placed on these reissues (or maybe the better word is "overlooked" than ruined. Its a big "who cares?"). The fact that none of these discs were boosted with live material, ESPECIALLY these last 4 of which there is none officially released (barring the few songs on the Zep DVD) is ridiculous.

Haven't heard Coda yet, but it doesn't shock me thats the best companion disc. Its got the most variety and its two discs that isn't just a re-creation of the album it comes with. It wins simply because the album its on is a hodgepodge collection of unreleased songs, so the reissue almost runs as a 3 disc set of outtakes from their whole career. And speaking of Coda, can anyone tell what the difference between THAT In The Light is from the Graffiti one? Sorry to be such a downer, and it truly doesn't actually bother me this much, but in the moment this is how I'm feeling. Happy they are finally on Spotify so I didn't have to buy these. Maybe I'll go out and spring for ITTOD just for the brown bag packaging, but I don't really want to give Page that satisfaction. This whole campaign couldn't have really been done worse in my mind.

I hear you but I doubt you will ever see live material from the 75/77/79/80 tours as Jimmy's playing was suffering from his habits and Robert's voice was not the best as far as he was concerned.

We are just lucky that there are so many SB bootlegs from those tours as I think that is as good as it gets while Plant and Page are alive.

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

If they have the Listen To This Eddie performance recorded, that would be worth putting out.

One of the best performances of the 77 tour for sure but Jimmy still had sticky fingers at times and I would be surprised if he would ever release that show or any of the 77 shows officially. Since we have seen a number of SB bootlegs from the 77 tour I am betting the former SHOWCO employee, who is allegedly selling the SB's to Empress Valley, most likely has all the 77 L.A. shows in SB quality and I am betting they surface eventually but I wonder if Jimmy even has multitracks of those shows to work with if he decided to do it?

LZ (a disbanded group with a dead drummer) released more new tracks this year than GNR, lol

and this two new tracks are better than every classic GNR members output's since the UYI's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG-XAmo0pBY

How are the latest bonus discs?

surprisingly, Coda has the best bonus material, probably the best of all of the reissues

indeed

I only miss Fire, but according to some collectors, this song is never recorded properly

Spent the morning checking them out. There's some good material in the new releases. The "new" songs are the highlights- pod, st tristin's sword, and sugar mama and I like some of the alternative takes.

Still bummed there was never a studio take of As Long As I Have You

That's a cover

The band also likely performed a Garnet Mimms cover, "As Long As I Have You".

Edited by Strange Broue

I can see Jason and Jimmy deciding on the best of the bootlegs and whatever else Jimmy might have in the vaults and putting a few things out.

I hope you are right but I read an interview with Jimmy that there are not a lot of concerts multitracks in the vaults to work with and he and Robert are so picky I doubt he would release a SB so I would be surprised if we see much more in their lifetime.

LZ (a disbanded group with a dead drummer) released more new tracks this year than GNR, lol

and this two new tracks are better than every classic GNR members output's since the UYI's

Stop drinking the kool aid. Neither of those songs are that great, and if they weren't Zeppelin no one would even notice them. They are filler on what are already rather weak reissues.

I heard Coda today, and while its not exactly what I wanted, its the nicest assortment we've gotten thus far. Nothing there I really needed to keep, but it was all a pleasant and more importantly a DIFFERENT listen! I felt like I was at least getting something new and unique with those ones. Like seriously, When The Leevee Breaks is a perfect example. It was THAT hard for them to include something thats a true work in progress like that. Its nothing mindblowing, and I'll probably only hear it once, but I find that to be way more valuable and interesting than the shit we got, which are "rough mixes" that are essentially identical to what we have, even if they are "finished songs". Stuff like Leevee makes me think there's a ton hidden away like that and they filled the companions with crap we already had.

Coda was fine. For all intents and purposes, the rest of these reissue companions sucked, with there being MAYBE one CDs worth of OK material between them. The rest are all one and done listens, and honestly impossible to tell any differences if he hadn't said they were "rough mixes". He set the bar WAY to high with the live companion on the first album if he never had any intention of more live throughout.

Stop drinking the kool aid. Neither of those songs are that great, and if they weren't Zeppelin no one would even notice them. They are filler on what are already rather weak reissues.

I heard Coda today, and while its not exactly what I wanted, its the nicest assortment we've gotten thus far. Nothing there I really needed to keep, but it was all a pleasant and more importantly a DIFFERENT listen! I felt like I was at least getting something new and unique with those ones. Like seriously, When The Leevee Breaks is a perfect example. It was THAT hard for them to include something thats a true work in progress like that. Its nothing mindblowing, and I'll probably only hear it once, but I find that to be way more valuable and interesting than the shit we got, which are "rough mixes" that are essentially identical to what we have, even if they are "finished songs". Stuff like Leevee makes me think there's a ton hidden away like that and they filled the companions with crap we already had.

Coda was fine. For all intents and purposes, the rest of these reissue companions sucked, with there being MAYBE one CDs worth of OK material between them. The rest are all one and done listens, and honestly impossible to tell any differences if he hadn't said they were "rough mixes". He set the bar WAY to high with the live companion on the first album if he never had any intention of more live throughout.

Nobody expected miracles

These two outtakes are better SONGS than entire CD, or Slash solo albums, contains more value than any ex or current Gunners releases/songs

IMHO

and yeah, Todd Rundgren's song is great too, Silent Jay

You're obviously welcome to your opinion, but thats such a wrongheaded statement to me I can't even dignify it with a response. I don't even like Chinese that much but I know there are songs on Chinese better than these instrumentals. You are putting way too much into them. And better than all of Slash's post Guns work (Snakepit, solo, and VR)? Thats insane that in your mind they don't have one song as good as these.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...