Axl on Shannon Hoon after he died

Only thing I ever remember hearing is speculation on Shannon Hoon's death being the reason "Don't Cry" wasn't in the setlist for a long time. It would make sense to me if it was too emotionally hard for Axl to perform that song for a while.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There's a video of Axl starting to dedicate a song to a friend who passed away but someone in the audience yelled out and he stopped and went over & yelled at them. I've wondered who that friend was but I suppose I'll have to find a link to the video so you can work it out. It was when the original band were together so early 90s.

There's a video of Axl starting to dedicate a song to a friend who passed away but someone in the audience yelled out and he stopped and went over & yelled at them. I've wondered who that friend was but I suppose I'll have to find a link to the video so you can work it out. It was when the original band were together so early 90s.

hoon died in 95 so i doubt it was to him

• Like 1

hoon died in 95 so i doubt it was to him

Thanks.

They had quite a few friends who passed away, sadly. If it was Knockin' on Heaven's Door, it may have been Todd Crew - that's why they originally started playing rhe song AFAIK, and they did dedicate it to him by name at some early shows.

• Like 2

That story is in Slash's book, can't remember the guys name but they played Heavens door as a tribute to him because he loved their cover.

That story is in Slash's book, can't remember the guys name but they played Heavens door as a tribute to him because he loved their cover.

What page is it on? :lol:

He also dedicated it to his Grandmother who died in her 90s, saying she called him her little problem child.

Edited by rock4eva

The closest to him talking about Shannon was when Bas brought him up during the trunk interview in 06

Axl: What do you mean "Its good for your range?" When you have a.......Bach: Well its in there. Its in thereAxl: I mean that's a pretty big parking spaceBach: Awww, thank you, dude, that's nice of you . Coming from you that's.......Trunk: Axl Rose that's, you know, look at Baz he's glowing right now babyBach: No. You know the only other time he said that "You gotta hear this guy, his friend Shannon, is when you said that to me. You go "He's got a higher voice than you man." and I was like "What?" And he did have a higher voiceTrunk: Yeah and the first time anyone saw Shannon Hoon was in the Don't Cry video, that was the first time that, uh.......Bach: So anyway, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page go "Why are you doing that song?" Like its so obvious, and Robert goes "I wonder what Sebastian would sound like doing a song like Out On the Tiles by Led Zeppelin. Then I was like cool. Than I started learning it and the second verse is completely out of time. Coming in, its not on a count, it's a studio flub. So I know he was having a little chuckle, like, have at it. You know what I mean.

http://www.gnrfrance.net/presse-interviews-guns-n-roses/entretiens-axl-rose-05-05-2006-16-page-4.htm

he also didn't know about West

Axl: It's So Easy...was originally a hippie ya-ya song. And Duff and West wrote this song like on acoustic, and it literally went like: (singing country-like) "I see your sister in a sunday dress..." Oh absolutely, and we were rehearsing in L.A and Slash basically just starts raping the song and I ran up and started like, doing like the evil Iggy Pop over it, while West is standing there and his face is like Droopy, like: "My song :("

Bach: "Look what they done to my song?"

Axl: Yeah. We just destroyed his song right there.

Bach: How's West doing?

Axl: Huh, he's not.

Bach: No?

Axl: West is no longer with us.

Bach: Oh my lord...

Axl: So, maybe he's doing better. (laughs) He appreciates that you cared...

http://www.gnrfrance.net/presse-interviews-guns-n-roses/entretiens-axl-rose-05-05-2006-16-page-5.htm

• Like 2

its mentioned in Axl's assistant's book. Craig Duswalt says Doug Goldstein had arraigned for Axl to go back to Lafayette and attend the services, but Axl being Axl couldn't get to the limo/airport in time and missed his flight. Bottom line, he never got there for it.

But i do remember reading he did go back for his Mom's funeral in 1996 i believe.

Only thing I ever remember hearing is speculation on Shannon Hoon's death being the reason "Don't Cry" wasn't in the setlist for a long time. It would make sense to me if it was too emotionally hard for Axl to perform that song for a while.

Axl started crying the first time GN'R played it again in 2009 or so.

Axl started crying the first time GN'R played it again in 2009 or so.

Source? Video?