House of Cards Season 4 [Spoiler Tags Please]

Forsaken

I didn't like where it all went. It felt like a filler season after I finished watching the finale.

The whole Doug sub plot seemed to take up half the season and it basically all should have happened last season instead. I didn't like the final twist in his story.

Also I feel like after reading articles on this season that I'm the only one thinks the show would be fine if it was just Frank in season 1 mode vs. the world. I'm just not that interested in Claire nor do I think that she's essential with her continuous flip flopping. I enjoyed watching Frank being Frank, but Claire seems like she's been stuck in a very slow burning boring loop since the beginning.

In all honesty, was the plot really advanced outside the finale few seconds of the season? ...And in reality that it's self seemed too predictable and better off as a mid season landmark than a cliffhanger.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 2

I didn't like where it all went. It felt like a filler season after I finished watching the finale.

The whole Doug sub plot seemed to take up half the season and it basically all should have happened last season instead. I didn't like the final twist in his story.

Also I feel like after reading articles on this season that I'm the only one thinks the show would be fine if it was just Frank in season 1 mode vs. the world. I'm just not that interested in Claire nor do I think that she's essential with her continuous flip flopping. I enjoyed watching Frank being Frank, but Claire seems like she's been stuck in a very slow burning boring loop since the beginning.

In all honesty, was the plot really advanced outside the finale few seconds of the season? ...And in reality that it's self seemed too predictable and better off as a mid season landmark than a cliffhanger.

I actually disagree about Doug. His character has always been important to the show, as he's been Frank's right-hand-man the entire time. Also,

is the final twist you're talking about when he kills Rachel? Because that wasn't really a twist...I could've told you after the first episode of this season that he would kill her during the season. The twist would've been if he actually let her live.

I agree about the dynamics of season 1. That was easily my favorite season and I would much prefer a return to the Frank vs. the World, especially because that's what the show was built on and it would make sense that it would return to that as he's the President now. Also I couldn't care less about Claire, either. Her entire story has been sloppy and doesn't do much for me.

Finally finished after taking my time

It wasn't bad but it wasn't fantastic. I agree about the filler feel at times. No real shock moments or people killed off other than Rachel, but the acting was still amazing. Spacey is on top of his game. I may be in the minority when I say I liked Stamper's side story. I've always loved his character and I look forward to his role in the future, especially if Frank is on his own.

Not sure how the next season will pan out with Claire walking out, I imagine she'll be back but if not it will be very interesting to see Frank alone on a presidential run.

One thing I did not like were the lack of monologues Frank speaks to the audience. In the past two seasons there seemed to be more of that and it made the show unique, kind of like a trademark, but in this season they were sparingly used and I missed them. There were moments but not enough of them. His quotes in the monologues made the show awesome and there needed to be more.

All in all it wasn't terrible but just another season, definitely the worst of the 3 but I look forward to seeing what the future holds for Frank

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

About to start my season 4 binge. Please don't let this season be about Claire and Doug!

-edit-

Finished it.

It was a chore. It was Clair flip-flopping again for half a season and a few moments where it looks like there's plot advancement (but nothing comes of it). 

I have to admit though in the final 20 minutes of the season finale, I actually thought "wait is this the final episode?" until the end when I realized this is just going to go on forever. It's reached Dexter levels of filler already.

Shame this could have been a fantastic show if they told the whole story in 2-3 seasons with less episodes. These side character's and their sub plots :no:. I won't be binge watching next season on release day.

Edited by AtariLegend

On 3/4/2016 at 0:47 PM, AtariLegend said:

About to start my season 4 binge. Please don't let this season be about Claire and Doug!

-edit-

Finished it.

It was a chore. It was Clair flip-flopping again for half a season and a few moments where it looks like there's plot advancement (but nothing comes of it). 

I have to admit though in the final 20 minutes of the season finale, I actually thought "wait is this the final episode?" until the end when I realized this is just going to go on forever. It's reached Dexter levels of filler already.

Shame this could have been a fantastic show if they told the whole story in 2-3 seasons with less episodes. These side character's and their sub plots :no:. I won't be binge watching next season on release day.

Wow. I hadn't started Season 4 yet and now I'm not even sure I want to.

Thought it was good, better than season 3 that's for sure. 

The first six episodes cover the story arc from season 3, and for the most part its slow, boring, and mediocre. From then on the show remembers how to have fun again, and its very enjoyable.

• Like 2

How do you use spoiler tags since the forum update?

I still think the final pay off for this season could easily have just been a cliffhanger to a middle of the season episode, just like last season's one should have been.

I know their's the moment early in the season and plot lines later in the season, but nothing really happens. They're all going in circles. I think when they had finished filming those first several episodes, that they got the go-ahead on another season and just decided that they couldn't go through with ending the story.

Doug again, it just feels like his sub plot next season will repeat 2-3. Doug and Claire need wrote out off this show.

Edited by AtariLegend

I couldn't stand the first 3 episodes. I don't give a shit about the relationship drama, I want the political posturing. I really liked what was left of the season, though nowhere near as much as the first two. I absolutely loved the chemistry between Conway and Underwood. Of course he comes off as a twat - Conway is a twat! But so is Underwood, and I thought they complimented each other nicely. I'll watch one more season, but I'm definitely losing interest in this show. It doesn't help that real-world politics are now dark and depressing and scary, so this no longer feels like escapism or fun.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally finished season 4. I enjoyed it quite a bit after the first 4 episodes or so, certainly better than season 3. I have to agree that the ending wasn't much of a cliffhanger, but it was still epic. Conway is a dick. I'd have loved more of Petrov, especially since there still hasn't really been a resolution of that plot line, but I get that ICO is taking priority in the short-term. I guess that's one of the more interesting aspects of the show - tensions don't really see a resolution when you hope because something else pops up, as happens in real-world politics. I'm tempted to say this is my second favorite season so far (After season 1) - the highs aren't as high as season 2, but when all is said and done it is a far more consistent season.