New DJ Interviews: Next Tour/Album Rumors

Guitarist reveals Axl Rose had pegged him for job before audition

Guns N Rose guitarist DJ Ashba has recalled how he got the gig with Axl Roses band - just by turning up for his audition.

He joined in 2009, and reports theyre preparing for a busy year of live shows while they continue work on the follow-up to 2008 album Chinese Democracy.

Ashba tells Rock Reflected: I got a call and Guns was looking for a guitar player on the down-low. They wanted to know if I would be interested.

I went down there and I didn't know, but evidently Axl called management when I was coming down and said, If he shows up in the room, he has the gig. It was kind of like that.

He finds it difficult to choose which GNR songs he enjoys playing most. I love playing the solo in This I Love, says the axeman. I change the solo up a little bit from what's on the album. I love Shackler's Revenge of course, all the old stuff. It's a blast to play.

There really isn't a song I don't enjoy playing because it's so high energy. The crowd is what makes it over the top it's a lot of fun out there.

And Ashba admits he prefers playing residencies to tours. He reflects: What's cool about that is you get to set up shop, and it's home. Were all in the hotels and get to party with the fans and hang out with them a lot more instead of play the show, get on the bus and go. I enjoy it big time.

Hell hit the road with Nikki Sixxs band Sixx AM in April, and after that hell return to GNR duties. We were talking about doing another huge tour, he reports. Our main focus right now is putting together the next Guns record. Weve got tons of material its just a matter of sitting down and sifting through the pieces. It looks like we're going to be doing a lot more touring.

The status of fellow GNR guitarist Ron Bumblefoot Thal remains unclear after he said hed been asked not to comment on the situation, and admitted it made him feel like he was repeatedly taking the bullet.

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-02-27/guns-n-roses-dj-ashba-got-gig-for-showing-up

http://loudwire.com/dj-ashba-guns-n-roses-focusing-on-new-album-planning-huge-tour/

DJ Ashba is going to be a busy man this year. The guitarist will hit the road with Sixx: A.M. in April to kick off touring promotion of their Modern Vintage album, but his gig with Guns N’ Roses is looming shortly after.

In an interview with Rock Reflected, Ashba says of GN’R, “We were talking about doing another huge tour. Our main focus right now is putting together the next Guns record. We’ve got tons of material — it’s just a matter of sitting down and sifting through all the pieces. It looks like we’re going to be doing a lot more touring.”

Guns N’ Roses toured fairly extensively in 2013 and early 2014, but then took a break in the latter portion of last year. The time off fit perfectly for Ashba, who spent most of the fall promoting the Sixx: A.M. Modern Vintage disc and its string of singles.

Though Ashba has been part of all three Sixx: A.M. albums, the band has often been in second position to Motley Crue for founder Nikki Sixx, which left plenty of free time for the guitarist. That’s part of what led to his joining Guns N’ Roses.

Keep an eye out for DJ Ashba throughout the year, first with Sixx: A.M, then with Guns N’ Roses.

Edited by LyndaRose

Look before posting. I put it up an hour or more so ago.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

-Philadelphia Collins

Like X10, RIP.

And yeah, DJ has word for word said, "We’ve got tons of material — it’s just a matter of sitting down and sifting through all the pieces. It looks like we’re going to be doing a lot more touring" in almost every interview he's done in the past 5 years. He knows as much as me, you, or Tommy Stinson knows.

• Like 1