Johnny Cash

J Dog

Absolute fuckin' God of an artist. The only true heir to Hank Williams. One of the best vocal deliverys out of just about anybody.

Didn't know you had it in you Len. He truly is the heir to Hank Williams. Those two embodied what country music is all about: love, heartache, and hard times. Straight from the gut and never trying to pretty it up. Not all this bullshit about riding dirt roads and beer parties. And honestly, I don't think there is an heir to Cash. Maybe, maybe, Alan Jackson but that's fucking pushing it.

And over 40 years in the music biz, he never sold out, not even a little bit. If he did something that you even think resembles selling out, nah, he did exactly what he wanted to do. Songs about the great depression, ok. Songs about doing jail time, ok. Love song duets with his wife, ok. Gospel records, ok. Telling the record big wigs he was going to do a concert at a maximum security prison, they could come record it if they wanted to, if not, fuck it he was going with or without them. I've never been the biggest guy to harp about musical integrity and all that jazz, but he had it. His entire career. No trends, no gimmicks, just making music the way he wanted to.

And yeah, his voice, nothing really needs to be said about that. Just listen to the man.

Trivia: The Stooges wrote No Fun based on I Walk the Line.

Nice. Always cool to see real motherfuckers recognize each other.

Here's a fun fact for you: Tennessee Stud, from the American sessions and Jackie Brown, was recorded at Johnny Depp's club The Viper Room on Sunset Strip.

Absolute fuckin' God of an artist. The only true heir to Hank Williams. One of the best vocal deliverys out of just about anybody.

Didn't know you had it in you Len. He truly is the heir to Hank Williams. Those two embodied what country music is all about: love, heartache, and hard times. Straight from the gut and never trying to pretty it up. Not all this bullshit about riding dirt roads and beer parties. And honestly, I don't think there is an heir to Cash. Maybe, maybe, Alan Jackson but that's fucking pushing it.

And over 40 years in the music biz, he never sold out, not even a little bit. If he did something that you even think resembles selling out, nah, he did exactly what he wanted to do. Songs about the great depression, ok. Songs about doing jail time, ok. Love song duets with his wife, ok. Gospel records, ok. Telling the record big wigs he was going to do a concert at a maximum security prison, they could come record it if they wanted to, if not, fuck it he was going with or without them. I've never been the biggest guy to harp about musical integrity and all that jazz, but he had it. His entire career. No trends, no gimmicks, just making music the way he wanted to.

And yeah, his voice, nothing really needs to be said about that. Just listen to the man.

Here's a fun fact for you: Tennessee Stud, from the American sessions and Jackie Brown, was recorded at Johnny Depp's club The Viper Room on Sunset Strip.

I never knew that about Tennessee Stud, i love that song :) 'He had the nerve and he had the blood, there never was a horse like the Tennessee Stud' :lol: No one from among the country bunch will ever equal Hank Williams for me but in that lineage Johnny Cash is the only logical heir. People think screaming bitches started with The Beatles and Elvis, they need to go back and listen to live recordings of Hank at the Oprey. I'm kinda really precious about Country music cuz it's the one genre i kinda...got into completely off my own back. Absolutely love it, from all that Bakersfield telecaster stuff to the Nashville sound and all of that, fantastic music, really emotionally honest and direct, kinda like punk in that way, in terms of the lyrics y'know, nothings allegorical (and if it ever is there is always the direct literal interpretation with the allegorical nature as a kind of counterpoint) and the resultant effect is it gets right to your heart.

Joe Strummer from The Clash did a collaboration with him before he died too, covering Redemption Song by Bob Marley. Annoyed me a bit that it took his death and a movie about him before a certain cross-section of younger people get into it, it's like where were you before? It's like people can't percieve the rebel spirit in the music itself and they need to have this movies showing how he was a fuckin' badman to then refer back to the music.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

I never knew that about Tennessee Stud, i love that song :) 'He had the nerve and he had the blood, there never was a horse like the Tennessee Stud' :lol: No one from among the country bunch will ever equal Hank Williams for me but in that lineage Johnny Cash is the only logical heir. People think screaming bitches started with The Beatles and Elvis, they need to go back and listen to live recordings of Hank at the Oprey. I'm kinda really precious about Country music cuz it's the one genre i kinda...got into completely off my own back. Absolutely love it, from all that Bakersfield telecaster stuff to the Nashville sound and all of that, fantastic music, really emotionally honest and direct, kinda like punk in that way, in terms of the lyrics y'know, nothings allegorical (and if it ever is there is always the direct literal interpretation with the allegorical nature as a kind of counterpoint) and the resultant effect is it gets right to your heart.

Joe Strummer from The Clash did a collaboration with him before he died too, covering Redemption Song by Bob Marley. Annoyed me a bit that it took his death and a movie about him before a certain cross-section of younger people get into it, it's like where were you before? It's like people can't percieve the rebel spirit in the music itself and they need to have this movies showing how he was a fuckin' badman to then refer back to the music.

Man I could talk about this dude all day.

Joe Strummer, Elvis, Bob Dylan, Little Richard, Ray Charles, U2, Rick Rubin, Tom Petty. That's the type of people he got down with. That's not even counting his crew of Willie, Waylon, Merle, George Jones. Rock n roll respected him. Even metal heads respect him. He was real. The movie came out and everybody jumped on him. Now I didn't see it a lot since where I'm from you listen to him from day one, but I saw it across the nation. Like damn, you just now getting into him?

Real fast on Hank, to me he's like the first rock star. Sex. He loved women and had a shaky marriage from it. Drugs. On top of his drink yourself to death habit, he got on pain pills for his back. My man got kicked out and banned from the Grand Ol Opry because of showing up drunk, late, or not at all.

Listen to Rock on down the line. Thats from like the 40s. Baby he's gonna rock on down the line. I don't even think the term rock n roll was invented yet.

And on top of all that, the man died in the backseat of a motherfucking Cadillac at age 29 while riding from one show to the next.

I discovered Hank Williams literally just browsing through CDs in HMV and like...the picture of him is what made me buy the album, absolutely no reference point otherwise. First song on it was Lovesick Blues...was hooked right from there, never looked back.

Now you talking about vocal deliveries, this guy had one. You felt his voice sometimes. There's an album called Alone with his Guitar, just some old stuff, demos, outtakes, radio shows, just him and an acoustic guitar. Some of his vocals are for real, haunting, spooky.

This is one of my favorites. It's a cover:

This is the original song:

His voice touches my soul. So simple yet cuts right through you. You believe every word, it's honest. No bullshit with Cash. I wish he was still alive.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

He would've worked well with Woody Guthrie i reckon, that'd've been a fuckin' partnership and a half. The Million Dollar Quartet, now there's a session I wouldn't've minded sitting in on, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins and The King, shit :)

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

He would've worked well with Woody Guthrie i reckon, that'd've been a fuckin' partnership and a half. The Million Dollar Quartet, now there's a session I wouldn't've minded sitting in on, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins and The King, shit :)

Million_Dollar_Quartet.jpg