What is the greatest Axl Rose moment?

Since Axl didn't contribute to something as big as We Are the World, what do you consider Axl's greatest moment? He never made political waves, or put on a huge benefit concert like George Harrison. We'd have to consider a live performance and a specific song, since releasing Appetite or Illusions isn't really a "moment."

Was it the Freddie tribute Bohemian Rhapsody? The 1988 MTV awards? 1992 MTV awards? I always loved the You're Crazy late night talk show performance, but it probably wasn't BIG enough. Was it a particular song that really put him in another stratosphere? The Sailing cover comes to mind here. Given his age, and the crazy lineup carousel, that performance was all Axl and to me it was jaw dropping. Just magical. His physical appearance, the crappy video recordings, he absolutely owned everything for those three and a half minutes. it had the "IT" factor. Can't explain it, but you know it when you see it sort of thing.

So what's the greatest performance of Axl's career? Post the vid!

Edited by Time to DIE!!!

92 vma's. It was the ultimate for Axl. His song getting played with Elton John his idol. He's talked about it before and how this was the big moment he dreamed of for this song.

I think that was his "I did it" moment. He probably feels the success of this song and this performance was the top of the mountain. Everything else is just a bonus.

• Like 1

92 vma's. It was the ultimate for Axl. His song getting played with Elton John his idol. He's talked about it before and how this was the big moment he dreamed of for this song.

I think that was his "I did it" moment. He probably feels the success of this song and this performance was the top of the mountain. Everything else is just a bonus.

Totally agree... Also, for me this is the peak of Guns N' Roses in every aspect (it can be Freddy's tribute too i guess)

Edited by GNRfanMILO

Axls' greatest moment was at the St. Louis riot where he assaulted a photographer, a warrant was issued and was subsequently arrested. He went from famous to infamous overnight.

You make a valid argument here haha his legacy was defined after this night. It has cemented him as the last true rockstar, people remember him for the anger and riot. Of all the outfits to have on though...

Oh well probably not his personal best moment, but definitely important to his career. The negative moments seem to define Axl just as much as the positives...if not more.

Sailing was the greatest 2006 moment

Greatest ever? Freddy mercury tribute as a collective. He was in his prime.

Nightrain Rock Am Ring was a greater 2006 moment imo.

No it wasn't it was just cool that we got a proshot from it though. He actually sang better in the shows after that. Most noticably IRS. Plus the setlist was bare bones at RAR too.

Sailing was the greatest 2006 moment

Greatest ever? Freddy mercury tribute as a collective. He was in his prime.

Nightrain Rock Am Ring was a greater 2006 moment imo.

No it wasn't it was just cool that we got a proshot from it though. He actually sang better in the shows after that. Most noticably IRS. Plus the setlist was bare bones at RAR too.

TWAT from Hammerstein is also a highlight of 2006 Guns

1991 Rio

Before the UYI tour they played two nights at a packed festival with 200 000 people on board (this was when brazilian people actually currious about them, not just the nostalgia factor, their first shows at South America)

This is why Axl is currently capable of still making serious amount of money on the South American market

Ritz 1988 is GNR (and Axl's) greatest moment. It was all downhill from there.

wow you got some pretty poor trolling skills

Edited by Motivation
  • Like 1

go tell that to the nerds who are mentioning nugnr shows as axl's greatest moments...

:facepalm:

...Or maybe they're people who view those moments as great?

• Like 1

The Sailing performance would be insane to list as his greatest moment. Maybe it is to some of you here, and maybe it is to the NuGNR period, but to call it his greatest moment ever is something I can't even fathom. Its something you've built up here more than it actually is.

Whereas performances like Freddie Mercury and VMA 1992 are rightly talked about because they are moments that were great then and still are. They didn't need to be talked up, they were just plain great. They aren't niche performances, like all NuGNR performances are IMO (whether people here like that or not). They are performances you know, not the world.

I think the answer is probably Freddie Mercury, but I get VMA 92 too. Honestly, his greatest moment to me is "Round 1" at the 2002 VMAs. Its a great moment for all the wrong reasons, but thats one of my favorite "great Axl moments" because its just so delusionally interesting. What was he thinking? I guess a comeback, but seeing it then and seeing it now having lived through everything thats happened, its more just a great WTF moment.

• Like 2

go tell that to the nerds who are mentioning nugnr shows as axl's greatest moments...

:facepalm:

...Or maybe they're people who view those moments as great?

Exactly. I grew up with the original lineup, and nuguns is a different band to me. I always favored Axl over Slash, but would love them to reunite for new music, which probably wouldn't produce anything great. But I'm allowed to dream....I hope.

I love the Sailing performance because of his age, and it was basically acapella. There were other great moments for the band in 2006, like that opening scream at Rock AM, but most were in the context of a band song. The CD songs should stand out because they were not played in 85-93. Comparing 2006/7 and 2009/10 to vintage GNR songs in their heyday is silly imo. They're not close, even with Bucket's rendition of the Nightrain solos. Thanks, Bucket. But, No thanks. Axl's voice was different if you have a keen ear.

For Axl to sing that way during Sailing after all that his voice has been through was amazing. (Hearing WTTJ playing at my alma mater, Maryland, right now on ESPN haha.) He looked awesome and was totally invested. And it was a one-off. It was unique, and never played again, correct? All that means something for ME. It may not be his BIGGEST moment, but for me, it leaves a deep impression.

Total boss in 1988 MTV btw. Voice was strained, but it seemed the camera wanted every bit of Axl, and he gave it to them. He was really showcased in that video even through every AFD song is a 'band' song.

The Sailing performance would be insane to list as his greatest moment. Maybe it is to some of you here, and maybe it is to the NuGNR period, but to call it his greatest moment ever is something I can't even fathom. Its something you've built up here more than it actually is.

Whereas performances like Freddie Mercury and VMA 1992 are rightly talked about because they are moments that were great then and still are. They didn't need to be talked up, they were just plain great. They aren't niche performances, like all NuGNR performances are IMO (whether people here like that or not). They are performances you know, not the world.

I think the answer is probably Freddie Mercury, but I get VMA 92 too. Honestly, his greatest moment to me is "Round 1" at the 2002 VMAs. Its a great moment for all the wrong reasons, but thats one of my favorite "great Axl moments" because its just so delusionally interesting. What was he thinking? I guess a comeback, but seeing it then and seeing it now having lived through everything thats happened, its more just a great WTF moment.

I think the crooked bandana added a lot to the WFTness of that moment too!

Edited by Time to DIE!!!

Too many to mention, I am quite partial to I'LL TAKE IT GODDAMN IT or telling a paying arena to shut the fuck up so he can continue his bizarre soliloquy.

Literally telling 20,000 screaming for rock n' roll fans to shut the fuck up whilst he goes on about extremely deep shit he's dealing with is both batshit and admirable.

• Like 2

I think there's a difference between the greatest Axl Rose moment, which really has to come from when he was one of the biggest stars in the world, and a person's favorite Axl Rose moment, which can come from whenever that person likes.

• Like 4