What is the greatest Axl Rose moment?

I think there's a difference between the greatest Axl Rose moment, which really has to come from when he was one of the biggest stars in the world, and a person's favorite Axl Rose moment, which can come from whenever that person likes.

Great point. But greatest doesn't have to be biggest. Who about your opinion of his best performance?

The St Luis incident is a personal favourite. It was total confirmation of Axl's crazy!

Best memory? Anything with the old band! But that growl before jungle does it for me every time! you think of any other human on earth wLking on stage with that get up and you'd laugh at them! But Axl had it man.... The whole damn lot!

Too many good ones for me so I'll just kick back and keep watching them!

Very surprised no one has mentioned GNR's pay-per-view special from their 1992 Paris France concert. "Paris France, And the rest of the world watching. Do you know where the fuck you are?" Still get chills when I see that clip from that show.

This, for me, was the epitome of how big of a band GNR was back in the day. For those not familiar with the "pay-per-view" era, only massive bands/artists during this period were afforded this kind of treatment. We're talking Michael Jackson, Madonna, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd kind of notoriety. Here was a band that secured a pay-per-view special from Paris, France, playing in front of 40,000 - 50,000 fans, with Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Lenny Kravitz and Jeff Beck (he was scheduled prior to blowing his ears out during rehearsal) as special guests. And oh, Sound Garden was their opener. Axl and the entire band killed it that night.

Though there might have been better performances, nothing solidified Axl's claim to the throne as this concert event.

I watched that show once a day (minimum) for years ... good times ...

That time when he made a decent album. You'll have to cast your mind back, it's nigh on 30 fuckin' years ago now.

to be completely honest: all of his best songs were written in the 80's (even hit singles for the UYI's were written pre AFD days...)

except maybe fucking Estranged te most over-rated GNR song on the fanbase :lol:

he hasn't written anything memorable since then (but vocally he deliver some great moments on CD, imho)

Edited by Motivation

They way i see it is you got your stars and your artists. Stars have a certain allotted timeframe within which they have to shine, like a football player or a boxer. When their time is up it's up and it's time for the glue factory. Marc Bolan was a star, Axl Rose is a star, their fame is attached to a particular time or an era or to the notion of their youth or whatever. And when it's done for them it's done. Then you have your artists. People like Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, who are artists and just kind of exist in their own bubble and continue to write and put their shit out and people either get it or they don't but it has no bearing on whether or not the artists produce art because...they're artists, it's just what they do. It's almost involuntary...like a gag reflec or something.

Thats not to say stars suck and artists make the weighty substantial art cuz i love Marc Bolan, i think he was brilliant.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

Very surprised no one has mentioned GNR's pay-per-view special from their 1992 Paris France concert. "Paris France, And the rest of the world watching. Do you know where the fuck you are?" Still get chills when I see that clip from that show.

This, for me, was the epitome of how big of a band GNR was back in the day. For those not familiar with the "pay-per-view" era, only massive bands/artists during this period were afforded this kind of treatment. We're talking Michael Jackson, Madonna, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd kind of notoriety. Here was a band that secured a pay-per-view special from Paris, France, playing in front of 40,000 - 50,000 fans, with Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Lenny Kravitz and Jeff Beck (he was scheduled prior to blowing his ears out during rehearsal) as special guests. And oh, Sound Garden was their opener. Axl and the entire band killed it that night.

Though there might have been better performances, nothing solidified Axl's claim to the throne as this concert event.

I attended that show. It was fucking great. It was amazing. I still play the DVD every now and then.

• Like 2

The merge between Jungle and You're Crazy and the supreme vocal effort in general during The Bridge School Benefit gig. "You....... meeeeeeeeeeeeeee......."

It must be great fun to be a famous person, while also being sick, and expected to play a show.

The merge between Jungle and You're Crazy and the supreme vocal effort in general during The Bridge School Benefit gig. "You....... meeeeeeeeeeeeeee......."

That might not be the greatest axl moment, but it was the most hilarious, for sure ... I'm still laughing just to think about it :lol:

I guess I'd have to say for me it's a two way tie between the Jungle intro in Paris that Downzy mentioned and the Jungle intro at Rock Am Ring 2006.

Jungle isn't even close to my favorite GN'R song but if I were going to show someone what a bad ass I think Axl is, I'd probably go with one or both of those.

• Like 1

I get a freaking kick out of the vocal on You're Crazy, Lies. I could argue that Axl's voice on the acoustic Lies songs are my very favorite.

MVA 1992 was a huge huge huge moment, but I was so bummed when it happened. I was looking forward to seeing GNR play live on tv, and although NR is a sure fire classic and great tune, it never did anything for me as far as representing what I like about Guns N' Roses. And then the no scream on the outro was a buzzkill. So bummed, especially since the year before (I believe?) they were billed on MVA 1991 and they did a satellite cover - LALD. I believe this was after all those cool original songs from Illusions were released, or at least I expected something original for some reason...maybe an Appetite song.

There are those moments from Axl that make me forget the bullshit and just marvel at how awesome he is. The Paris PPV is a great mention. I still have it on VHS from my own recording. I loved the the transition from Sail Away Sweet Sister to SCOM when I was 15 years old, and still do...great Axl/Slash moment. Nice camera work too. As played out as that song is, it's still fantastic. Don't care what anyone says. I was always disappointed with the outro vocals though. As a youngster I thought it was a cop out because I just love the pitch changes of the original version.

Here are mine, in no specific order

Freddie Tribute

1988 Ritz

1987 Acoustic Set @ CBGBs

MTV NR with Elton

MTV WTTJ 1988

Paris PPV

I have been a fan of GN'R from the beginning and still am just as into them to this day. That said, I've seen some great live shows in the modern day GN'R era, but "Greatest Moment ever" has to fall in the early days.

When talking about the Modern day era, the conversation changes from "Greatest Moment" to most "significant moment"

Note: My list is regardless of the performance

i.e...

NYE HOB 2001 - First show since 1993 (plus the show has been hoarded)

RIR 2001

2006 Hammerstien Ballroom Shows #1 & #4

MTV Music Awards 2002 - First Time on the awards since the early days

First Vegas Residence

Bridge Show

Jimmy Kimmel Interview - first time ever on a late night show being interviewed

Golden Gods Awards Speech and show

That Metal Show Interview

Here are mine, in no specific order

Freddie Tribute

1988 Ritz

1987 Acoustic Set @ CBGBs

MTV NR with Elton

MTV WTTJ 1988

Paris PPV

I have been a fan of GN'R from the beginning and still am just as into them to this day. That said, I've seen some great live shows in the modern day GN'R era, but "Greatest Moment ever" has to fall in the early days.

When talking about the Modern day era, the conversation changes from "Greatest Moment" to most "significant moment"

Note: My list is regardless of the performance

i.e...

NYE HOB 2001 - First show since 1993 (plus the show has been hoarded)

RIR 2001

2006 Hammerstien Ballroom Shows #1 & #4

MTV Music Awards 2002 - First Time on the awards since the early days

First Vegas Residence

Bridge Show

Jimmy Kimmel Interview - first time ever on a late night show being interviewed

Golden Gods Awards Speech and show

That Metal Show Interview

The Eddie Trunk interview with Bach and Axl was also pretty cool.