Public Transportation

Snake-Pit

Public Transport  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

londonbus15.jpg

A shout out to my buses... You can do whatever method of public transport you use/like, but this is my opening post so; Here goes:

I have 2 bus stops that I use/call my own with... 2 actual bus stops at each of them (coming, going - just a simple matter of crossing the road at either one of them), and these are my actual buses, mygnrforum.

p653453633-3.jpg

24 Hour service.

p653069464-3.jpg

p575241328-3.jpg

p879018752-3.jpg

p237876381-3.jpg

p277883852-3.jpg

I'd name the fun ones later, and will get started on the underground and even trains another time.

What about you, where ever you are in the world, do you use public transport, and, care to post it?

Edited by Snake-Pit

Have to to take a hour long bus tomorrow to get to my course Snakes. It is a bit of a pain but you just take reading material. I actually do not drive. Never bothered. I developed an intense loathing of Max Power magazine in school, and chav mobiles. When the cricket season is on, I also use the train to get to Durham.

Apparently you can't go anywhere in America without driving.

It's "Public Transport".

"Transportation" is an Americanism and a wholly unnecessary one at that, think about it. What does the word "Transportation" offer which "Transport" does not. Nothing.

I don't drive, I rely on trains to take me everywhere and my feelings on the subject can be summarised in the first minute or so of this video.

• Like 1

Have to to take a hour long bus tomorrow to get to my course Snakes. It is a bit of a pain but you just take reading material. I actually do not drive. Never bothered. I developed an intense loathing of Max Power magazine in school, and chav mobiles. When the cricket season is on, I also use the train to get to Durham.

I live in America and haven't driven in over 20 years

You live in NYC, don't you? Makes sense there. Staying with relatives in Virginia is a different story, though. My mum wanted to go for a walk so her options were either a) across farmland, which brought up mental images of someone pulling a shotgun and saying "GET OFF MAH PROPERTY", or b) walking along the road. She took option B, and after a while a car stopped and asked if she was alright.

Thinking of finally taking driving lessons this year, just so I can do a road trip of the US. Not sure I'd ever drive in the UK even after getting a license.

You live in NYC, don't you? Makes sense there. Staying with relatives in Virginia is a different story, though. My mum wanted to go for a walk so her options were either a) across farmland, which brought up mental images of someone pulling a shotgun and saying "GET OFF MAH PROPERTY", or b) walking along the road. She took option B, and after a while a car stopped and asked if she was alright.

Thinking of finally taking driving lessons this year, just so I can do a road trip of the US. Not sure I'd ever drive in the UK even after getting a license.

I live in Queens. Locally, I walk for whatever my daily needs are or take a bus if necessary. To travel to work in Manhattan, I take a 15 minute bus ride followed by a 30-40 minute subway ride.

I happen to live in an area in Queens where a car isn't totally necessary although I am in the minority in not driving.

My brother and his family live on Long Island and a car is a necessity there.

I live in Queens. Locally, I walk for whatever my daily needs are or take a bus if necessary. To travel to work in Manhattan, I take a 15 minute bus ride followed by a 30-40 minute subway ride.

I happen to live in an area in Queens where a car isn't totally necessary although I am in the minority in not driving.

How come a car is a necessity there? Less public transport/further distances between places than Queens?

Also, you don't happen to live in Forest Hills, do you? Just because that was one of the first places I heard of in Queens as a kid (Peter Parker's home).

It's "Public Transport".

What does the word "Transportation" offer which "Transport" does not?

It's not too formal, it's not lazy, it shows signs of being well spoken, it shows sophistication :P

and politeness and good manners, and that you're probably privileged to a trust fund and might have sex with you on their yacht.

Or, since at least in a thread about public transportation, a means of transportation that isn't traditionally used by owners of yachts, 'least a yacht worth having sex on, using the word transportation in that sense could then be seen as sensitive, intelligent, and cool, or calm but dangerous.

Edited by Snake-Pit

It's "Public Transport".

"Transportation" is an Americanism and a wholly unnecessary one at that, think about it. What does the word "Transportation" offer which "Transport" does not. Nothing.

I don't drive, I rely on trains to take me everywhere and my feelings on the subject can be summarised in the first minute or so of this video.

Transport is a verb, transportation is a noun. That's what transportation offers.

Also I often use a bus, monorail, and boat.

I just spent a week in Los Angeles and for the first time in my entire vacation history I didn't rent a car. I took the bus and subway and uber everywhere and saved probably $500.

How did you find it? I was thinking of going to LA last year but everyone told me it'd be impossible to get around without a car.

I just spent a week in Los Angeles and for the first time in my entire vacation history I didn't rent a car. I took the bus and subway and uber everywhere and saved probably $500.

How did you find it? I was thinking of going to LA last year but everyone told me it'd be impossible to get around without a car.

It's not impossible at all if you plan your time. Not the easiest place to get around but certainly manageable.
  • Like 1

How come a car is a necessity there? Less public transport/further distances between places than Queens?

Also, you don't happen to live in Forest Hills, do you? Just because that was one of the first places I heard of in Queens as a kid (Peter Parker's home).

Long Island has buses but they aren't used too often. They also have Long Island Railroad but that's used mainly for people commuting to Manhattan for work. It's not like the subway system. Where I live in Queens, everything I need for my daily life is within walking distance. The most I have to walk would be maybe 15 minutes. On Long Island, that's not possible. Unless you live on a main strip or boulevard, most places are spaced out considerably. And also, Long Island is a maze of highways, so a vehicle is a necessity. When I go there, it's like a different world to me.

I live less than 10 minutes away from Forest Hills.

• Like 1

it's a matter of habit actually. last year i had a road accident and insurance company said my car is totaled so i couldn't drive for a couple of months before i got a new car. and i have to admit i got used to public transport pretty easily. it's not always comfortable and some people are annoying as hell but it's relatively cheap and fast and it's not the end of the world but still i prefer not to use it

It's "Public Transport".

Transport is a verb, transportation is a noun. That's what transportation offers.

Transport is also a noun, which means exactly the same thing as "transportation" and uses fewer letters. It really is the most pointless augmentation of a word ever.

If you're uncomfortable with me masturbating, should you:

A) confront me about it

B) call the cops

C) sit somewhere else on the train

d) ask a bunch of old ladies (who are the most active users of public transport around here) to set you straight with an elegant 10 kg purse :lol:

• Like 1

It's "Public Transport".

Transport is also a noun, which means exactly the same thing as "transportation" and uses fewer letters. It really is the most pointless augmentation of a word ever.

According to Merriam Webster, the first known use of "transportation" is 1540. The first known use of "transport" is 1611. So "transport" as a noun is really just a sign of people from the U.K. being lazy.

• Like 1