'Give the fucking album out!' Meth-Tical on Wu secret release

Len Cnut

Method Man on Secret Wu-Tang Release: 'F--k That Album' "Give the fucking music out," rapper balks about 88-year copyright. "Stop playing with the public"

Method Man is not amused with producer Cilvaringz's claim that the copyright for Wu-Tang Clan's single-copy album, The Wu: Once Upon a Time in Shaolin, would prevent its buyer from sharing and profiting on its content for 88 years.

"I'm tired of this shit and I know everybody else is tired of it, too," the Wu rapper, who was unaware of the legal stipulation, recently told XXL. "Fuck that album, if that's what they are doing...Give it to the people, if they want to hear the shit, let them have it. Give it away free. I don't give a fuck; that ain't making nobody rich or poor. Give the fucking music out. Stop playing with the public, man."

Other than the record's legal limitations, Method Man said he was fully on board with the release. "I'm like, 'Wow, this has never been done before,'" said the rapper, who is working on his own Methlab solo album. "I was cool with shit. But now, this is ridiculous. Eighty-eight years, really? If that shit is true, that shit is stupid."

Cilvaringz made the claim in an interview with Forbes in which he claimed, "After 88 years, the copyright, which includes public and commercial rights, automatically transfers to the owner of the work." Once the copyright period is up, it will then be up to the LP's owner whether or not to share the music.

The album could come out before 2103, though, if the buyer were to post it online for free. RZA told Forbes that he didn't think that was likely considering the amount of money someone would be putting up to own it.

The 31-track, six-years-in-the-making record, which RZA first mentioned last April, features appearances by all nine members of the rap crew (and Cher!). At the time, the rapper claimed to have received offers as high as $5 million for the release, which comes in a special hand-carved box. Despite those flat offers, the band is selling the release via the online auction house Paddle8. Earlier this week, RZA offered "the first, the last, the only public listening session" for the release in New York City. Paddle8 tells Rolling Stone that it has yet to decide when the auction will end.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/method-man-on-secret-wutang-release-fuck-that-album-20150304

I'm kind of with Meth. I like the idea and everything and thinks it's cool, but the whole copyright thing, that's a little much. This producer must be real tight with RZA to act like like he has all this say so on the project. I would have liked to be at the listening party.

It doesn't really reveal much about the album. They had 13 minutes of a listening party.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/editorials/id.2760/title.8-things-we-learned-from-the-wu-tang-clans-once-upon-a-time-in-shaolin-listening-at-moma-ps1

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/inside-wu-tang-clans-first-last-only-listening-session-for-new-lp-20150303

http://www.power1051fm.com/onair/the-breakfast-club-40716/we-got-to-hear-wutang-clans-13366341/?VBFG

If someone actually does buy it and they decided to leak it, I doubt they'd really care because it would probably kill any value it would have, but I could see the music being shared in some way.

Were it not The Abbott I'd be all in favour of robbing the bastard :lol:

Ehh rzas fallen WAAAY off anyways..

And that's like an excuse for him to auction this fuckin thing off at 5 million dollars just to put out something that he should have consistently been putting out the last 15 years.

Edited by drtydane

Neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, not The Abbott, The Abbott just thinks and sees further than a normal human being, I have 100% faith in his ideas, it's just it ain't always the right time for em or else they are just the sort of thing that would be difficult to digest. Remember, this is the man with the plan, Mr 36 Chambers, Mr Liquid Swords, thats all The Abbotts masterplan. He was one of the loudest voices going on about live bands in hip hop, inside i was sceptical but look, the shits becoming like common now. The Abbott knows, The Abbott has an idea, a plan...it's just not being 'got' right now. By me included if I'm being really honest but fuck, i ain't about to sit here and call him wrong, he knows what he's doing.

What I'm curious about though is the quality of the album and why THAT particular recording is the coveted one. I mean why not A Better Tommorow? I mean there's word out there that it's the sickest thing in Christendom...which begs a question, why the fuck wasn't A Better Tommorow? I mean i liked it and everything but they make out like this secret one is like...some kinda crazy shit, perhaps maybe i dunno, back to the old Wu sound, another 36 Chambers. So if that is truly the case then does that mean that RZA purposely DOESN'T give the audience what they want with the shit that IS released? I mean he's The Abbott right, he knows what machines and techniques and what shit gave us that early sound...he could just do it again right? He's purposely going this live soul band way...I dunno, makes me wonder.

I'm totally unreasonable when it comes to The Wu I'm afraid. Also, I love stuff like this, stunts, schemes, crazy grandiose shit dreamt up by some mentalist with an idea and the commitment to see it through.

Edited by Len B'stard

I'm half Len, half mags on this one. Probably closer to mags and Meth.

Did anyone read the story on reddit about how this was just a publicity stunt for what is really just a Cilvaringz Wu album? I don't know the validity of it but it seems logical: http://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/2y0mwl/the_truth_behind_the_new_wutang_album/

Now that I'm looking at that post again, there's been a lot more shit added. Take a look.

• Like 2

I don't need to listen to that album to get the 90s wu sound back, there is plenty of great material from that era on both the solo and group releases. This whole priceless unique copy angle definitely paid off in the publicity department, but with the last Wu album being what it is (shit), I doubt any other producer could capture the RZA's style fully as even RZA can't do so anymore. It's all there in those early releases.

I hope Jay-Z or Trent Reznor or someone buys it and leaks it.

You really think they have 5 million dollars worth of love for the audience?

If Trent liked Wu enough, he would probably do it. He's leaked his own things before.

Jay-Z would probably try to sell it for more than he paid or something

I'm half Len, half mags on this one. Probably closer to mags and Meth.

Did anyone read the story on reddit about how this was just a publicity stunt for what is really just a Cilvaringz Wu album? I don't know the validity of it but it seems logical: http://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/2y0mwl/the_truth_behind_the_new_wutang_album/

Now that I'm looking at that post again, there's been a lot more shit added. Take a look.

Thanks for that. No idea if it's true but it's a good read.

Some choice quotes:

I find it funny that RZA is tweeting that the 88 years is so that the album is protected from corporations and commercialization. I forgot about all the Lincoln and Toyota commercials I've seen that use Wu-Tang clan songs, so I'm glad RZA is protecting the brand. I find it laughable.

Word. Sorry, Len, but RZA has become the most commercial of the bunch. Can't believe I'm saying that with some of the shit Meth did, but it's true.

So. HERE IS WHERE WE ARE NOW. Cilvaringz, not wanting his 'lifes work', the most important thing hes been working on for possibly 10 years, become a footnote on 2dopeboyz, and basically be an album everyone forgets about if they put it out digitally, he decides as a last ditch effort to do the whole museum thing. RZA signed on because A Better Tomorrow (the shitty Wu-tang album RZA was working on) was going to come out, and what better publicity for Wu-Tang than to one day declare their work as 'high art'. So RZA glommed to Cilvaringz idea, but out of necessity it seems because if you look at all the interviews now, you barely see any mention on how the entire album is produced by Cilvaringz. This isn't a RZA album. But while they talk about 88 years, and auction this album off, they realize that AGAIN, its impossible to sell a Cilvaringz produced Wu-tang album for 5 Million.

So now we get some bullshit story about them thinking of the entire idea while climbing mountains and shit. It is all a lie. And i'm not surprised the members (like Method Man) are furious about all of this.

Interesting.

Cilvaringz has gone through and deleted tons of old posts in regards to the development of this. I am now combing through the wayback machine to find old posts of his. Just look pre-2014 for posts by Cilvaringz that pretty much expose what I'm saying. All mentions of the Andrew Kelley blog post talking about the album were retroactively deleted by Cilvaringz, who runs the forum.

Shady as fuck.

I'm starting to think RZA can suck a cock. Breaks my heart.

Edited by magisme

I ain't alienated just over some talk about an album that I'm probably not gonna see. I'm a fan based on what exists already, whether i do or don't get some intangible album that apparently exists doesn't really...have much bearing on that. They could all stop making music in the next five minutes and I'd still be a fan. I don't see anything sinister to it like some of yous did, it's at very worst a bit of a silly idea but at best it's someone i admires attempt to make a lasting statement about art.

I know. That's all part of it. He's commercial as fuck, so any anti-commercial nonsense out of his mouth is a load of shit.

Is that true though or are you just a little unforgiving here? An anti-commerce statement can be as valid from the 18th floor boardroom as it can from the pavement, perhaps even more so in that one knows what he's talking about a little more having been in the belly of the beast. And also, how much of an anti-commerce statement is it anyway to make one of the shits and sell it for 5 million, thats commerce at it's best surely? Whether any of this shit is RZAs perspective on it remains to be seen and, to take your side a bit, it's not like RZA is on some Malcolm McLarenesque mission to rob the industry or on some otherwise on-going mission to attack the infrastructure of the music biz so I suppose it'd be easy to for you to call bollocks on what I've been saying here but...i dunno, sometimes you just have a feeling about a mans intent y'know? Not exactly a convincing argument, i know :lol: Len just has this feeeeeeeeling, slight sweating, itchy scalp, i dunnnooo, there's something to this though :lol:

I'm probably being hard on him, but I expect a lot from him. It's The Wu. There's a certain standard and integrity to uphold. It was embarrassing when Meth was doing videos with Fred Durst, and it's embarrassing that RZA will do movies with anyone who will throw a paycheck at him.

I'm probably being hard on him, but I expect a lot from him. It's The Wu. There's a certain standard and integrity to uphold. It was embarrassing when Meth was doing videos with Fred Durst, and it's embarrassing that RZA will do movies with anyone who will throw a paycheck at him.

Some people are just SO cool they can do anything? :lol: Meth' is one of those people. Another one of those people is Snoop. I don't know why and i don't know how, they just seem to just glide through shit and always continue to be 100% themselves. Samuel L Jackson is like this too, it has something to do with their manner and how comfortable they are in their own skin but Snoop can get away with a fuckin' lot just he's Snoop and he just has that Max Julien type cool to him. You either have it or you don't.

Fred Durst was pushing it though, that was pushing it, that took fuckin' like...effort went in there on my part to like...reconcile myself with that shit, it still hasn't happened completely. Wasn't that on a Clue mixtape too if I'm not mistaken, of all things? Shocking.

You know how i dealt with that shit? Through the fact of Meth' is just basically saying 'shut the fuck up!" the whole time :lol: There's a message in that, thats like a cosmic pointer, thats Meth's conscience speaking :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Yeeeeee...um, he borders on it sometimes but it's usually in places where he should be SOOOOO massively awkward but he's not that just the fact that he's managing the thing as well as he is just kinda carries him through? When i use the word cool in this context I'm talking about a very specific thing. Think Steve McQueen, think John Coltrane, just smooth bastards.

Edited by Len B'stard

Perhaps The Abbott is like, using it as like some kinda weird time capsule thing, i dunno :lol:

I would be cool with something like this. Add to the Wu legend. But to hear Meth talk not everybody was on board with what's going on now.