Kendrick Lamar - New Album Out March 23rd

Zeppelin

For some reason I quite like the polarizing reaction to it so far. People either really like/love it or really hate it. I haven't seen many people say "it's ok" or "it's decent" or anything :lol:

But rare is it in the modern music culture where an artist releases an album that gets extreme critical praise. And usually that's reserved for an album that doesn't deserve it, truly.

I don't know if I like this better than GKMC (I'm leaning that way, however), but as I said in the Kanye thread too, I appreciate artists who at least try something new and different, even if it doesn't really work.

Best tracks for me after a few listens: Wesley's Theory, These Walls, u, Hood Politics and How Much A Dollar Cost. Also like Alright/For Sale

For some reason I quite like the polarizing reaction to it so far. People either really like/love it or really hate it. I haven't seen many people say "it's ok" or "it's decent" or anything :lol:

But rare is it in the modern music culture where an artist releases an album that gets extreme critical praise. And usually that's reserved for an album that doesn't deserve it, truly.

I don't know if I like this better than GKMC (I'm leaning that way, however), but as I said in the Kanye thread too, I appreciate artists who at least try something new and different, even if it doesn't really work.

Best tracks for me after a few listens: Wesley's Theory, These Walls, u, Hood Politics and How Much A Dollar Cost. Also like Alright/For Sale

Reviews have been almost universally positive so far. Just look at Metacritic or go on Google News and type the album in.

Reviews have been almost universally positive so far. Just look at Metacritic or go on Google News and type the album in.

I actually did look it up on Metacritic earlier...it wasn't listed yet. I know people are supposed to review albums as soon as they are leaked/released, but this is one that people should take time to listen to a few times before making a review, imo.

I'm actually surprised if the reaction has been universally positive. This is a very diverse, layered album with subject matters that I would be surprised if they were universally accepted.

I did see this quote in a review from USA Today:

Like Kanye West's monumental Yeezus in 2013, Lamar has made something that feels truly genre-shattering with Butterfly — further cementing his status as not only one of the most innovative rappers, but artists, of the moment.

I think I puked immediately afterwards :lol:

It's more jazz and spoken word than it is rap and hip hop. There's a handful of really good songs.

I'm quite liking that bit about it so far but i feel like once the immediate blast of novelty wears off I'm gonna be left wanting some hip hop. But it's actually pretty OK so far, only hear the first 4 or 5 tracks but it's OK, it's good, bit of funk there, the aforementioned jazzy touch, brace yourself for the oncoming assessment of 'THIS IS BLACK MUSIC COMING FULL CIRCLE MAAAAAAN'. I feel like it's almost been engineered that way.

A problem of mine is that...OK, you have a rapper, it's kinda different to a band or a singer or someone that makes rock songs or whatever in that a rapper kinda has to tell you a story or tell you something that commands your attention. And often part of that is coming from somewhere or being from a kind of social experience thats sort of alien to you perhaps, so you wanna listen, it draws you in. Kendrick seems to lack that? I don't...care about what Kendrick is talking about in the way you might with other rappers. And the way to counter-act that I suppose is to have broader opinions or attempt to say something...i dunno, deep or profound or present ideas or opinions or thoughts about something, kinda like he does in Blacker the Berry. But the problem with that is there's nothing Kendrick Lamar can tell you that anyone with half a brain and something resembling a moral compass can tell you themselves anyway. So you're kinda left with someone who rhymes very well but isn't very interesting.

Like...i was interested in what Ghost and Rae' have to say, they're from a life that I'm not privy too, they evoke pressing moral connundrums that you kinda look at the thing and think wow, what would i do there or would i even know what to do there...or they'll tell stories, vivid stories, highly descriptive, they'll paint a picture for you of a life you might know nothing about...and that makes it interesting. They'll take you right to the spot, streetlights, the smell of onions from a burger stand, the way someone was looking...and it was slang heavy, crazy slang that i didn't even know what the fuck it was saying to begin with :lol: But it's interesting, you wanna know what they're saying, they present an entire lifestyle, a language, a fashion, a way of thinking, all presented to you in this immense breathtaking music that gets right into your fuckin' bone marrow.

Or Rakim and Kane where they were just smoooooooth :lol: Point being you gotta have something about you. Kendrick doesn't do anything convincingly, when he's angry he does sound angry, when he's any emotion he doesn't seem to sound like it.

• Like 1

Overall I like it a lot. Which is surprising since it's not really what I was expecting or looking forward to. But I'm with it. It sags a little bit in the middle which sucks since I think it starts off and ends great. Probably a little over hyped, and not as genre shattering, culture changing as a lot are making it out to be. It's actually more toned down than I expected. But I can appreciate Kendrick and the effort. Not sure how I feel about Pac's part though, I never cared for shit like that.

Wesley's Theory, King Kunta, Institutionalized, U, Hood Politics, Blacker the Berry are my stand outs right now.

Not sure how I feel about Pac's part though, I never cared for shit like that.

Sorry, what, Pacs what?

It's in the last song, I don't mean to be all snobby about it but I feel that telling exactly what it is would kinda spoil one of the "narratives" in the album. It's totally snobby actually, I just know that if I knew it were coming it would hurt the experience for me.

I liked it but it was a little bit corny I guess.

Edited by Jakey Styley

Just listened to it...that was quite fucking pathetic :lol: As in REALLY pathetic. Really, this is where we're at now, fake conversations with dead icons? This is exactly what I mean, in hip hop you give you props, you pay dues, you respect what came before...you don't dick ride, you don't hero worship, it's contrary to the nature of the game, your job is to tear Pac down and build yourself in that space. That was seriously seriously lame.

I ain't listenin' to the rest of that album, that was mammoth levels of gay :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

I ain't listenin' to the rest of that album, that was mammoth levels of gay :lol:

It's not just dick riding, it's almost sacrilegious. I guess where Kendrick stops and the interview starts, I'll just treat that like the end of the album. I seriously doubt I will ever listen to Pac's part again.