Brain speaks about Guns (and Buckethead)

From listening I got this:

Bucket was a big problem because he would just go missing for long periods of time and lawyers hated him. Having Axl and Bucket in a band sounds like a nightmare.

Kinda weird that Brain gets really hesitant when telling a GNR story. The lawyers GNR has must be intense because I've never heard a former member talk openly about Axl or cancelled gigs.

GNR sounds absolutely crazy to be a part of back in the early 00's. The Axl stories he tells are incredible. But interesting that he says it was one of the best times in his life, Axl really must run on a different clock.

The support that CD was receiving was amazing. I don't see Axl getting this level of support again and I wonder if it depresses him or takes away his motivation. I mean if Axl wants to make a new album he has to start putting things together by himself. It sounds like people were on their hands and knees for him during the early 00's.

Glad to hear an honest assessment of this time and how every member could write a book about GNR and the things that happen around that band. He doesn't have an agenda to tear Axl apart for making it rough on everyone but he does say it wasn't easy and he's also really appreciative of everything he learned during that time and Axl himself. Great listen.

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 1

Yeah, really interesting and candid interview. He talks about Guns (off and on) for over half an hour. He did seem to get a bit tentative when considering whether he wants to tell another Guns story or not. Like he's thinking, "Does this violate my nondisclosure agreement?"

Did refer at one point to a time when "Axl didn't do anything for 2 years", lol. Basically confirms a lot of what we already know, which is that the band during that time period was a complete circus, the record company was spending ridiculous amounts of money on nothing, and that Buckethead is one strange motherfucker.

• Like 1

Very interesting, there's some other great interviews with him about CD where he details recording his parts (it might be on music radar?). The Tom waits stories were cool too, but obviously my attention was on GnR.

That little story at the end about the kick drum beat was nice to hear, it kinda backs up Richards stories of how closely Axl listens to the guys in the band... how he has that fine an ear and doesn't strangle Dj is beyond me though... (timing / tuning etc).

I don't know how he looks at DJ and doesn't strangle him, especially when he's pulling Slash's moves onstage with him.

He's let his standards drop I guess.

I wonder if the big fat money extends to the current day and the newer guys?

Made me think of Dizzy's wife (wasn't it?) panhandling for money to put the kids through school...then you have Del saying Axl is good for paying his kid's bills etc...

I would see Brain rather than Frank Ferrer, I guess its in their agreement not to talk crap about Axl or the Management after they leave and none of them gave a proper reason of leaving the band, When brain left, Frank replaced him and re recorded his parts and the management was like Brain is still a part of the band and he is "Working" in the studio

The Conclusion is that Axl is a pain in the ass to work with, Buckethead is a creepy person but he is very talented, his style is different and I guess he dint have the freedom in Axl's Band

''You are ready to play at 8 and it is 12 and Axl's having his fuckin massage'' haha.

I suppose he's part of the international conspiracy to impart misinformation about Axl Rose too. That is the foremost reason i won't go to a GnR show ever again, it's just a plain mug off. Apart from their being shit now that is.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 3

Geez the backlash starts now! So if there's no reunion tonight, you all are just gonna bash Axl. Not mentioning the fact Slash & Duff quit, can't have been easy dealing with millionaire junkies. GnR right now is the shits but at least somebody tried to rescue it instead of walking away not giving a shit.

• Like 1

I say it a lot, but damn I wish Axl could have kept the Brain/Bucket/Robin/Tommy group together. And Axl + Buckethead = crazy train.

I haven't listened to all of it, but I swear I remember reading one time Brain recorded some parts for CD in like an old church or something to get a certain effect on one occasion.