Member picture thread

Snake-Pit

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Oh so its not an insult in and of itself?

Nah, it's literally the word for people who come from England, same as "Scottish (or Scots); French; Indian; Mexican etc." are not insults in English... I guess cultural context probably makes it seem like more of an insult than it actually is. It's not deliberately intended to rankle, like "Sweaty Sock" or deliberately misusing a word which is actually supposed to only apply to food and drink (and sellotape) to describe people like "Scotch".

14 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Nah, it's literally the word for people who come from England, same as "Scottish (or Scots); French; Indian; Mexican etc." are not insults in English... I guess cultural context probably makes it seem like more of an insult than it actually is. It's not deliberately intended to rankle, like "Sweaty Sock" or deliberately misusing a word which is actually supposed to only apply to food and drink (and sellotape) to describe people like "Scotch".

I thought Scotch was a proper way of saying Scotish, whoops, I shall desist in future.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Graeme said:

It's actually "Sasannach" from "Sasann", meaning England. It literally means "English person" and should therefore not be pejorative in the slightest...

Except it's usually sandwiched between "Fucking" and "Cunt ya...you'll never take our freedom!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

I thought it was Scots-Gaelic for 'Saxon'?

37 minutes ago, Graeme said:

That's almost certainly the etymological origin, but for centuries it's applied to all of England.

From the biggest Gaelic dictionary on the web:

Sasann.JPG

Then for centuries you have had it completely incorrect as 'England/English' derives from The 'Angles', not The Saxons; these are two distinct Germanic tribes who settled in different eras of Britannia,

anglo-saxon_map.jpg

Besides, it could equally apply to a people of Northern Germany, of modern day 'Saxony' nonetheless. How would a Gaelic speaker describe a Saxon of present day Germany? It could only be with the word 'Sasannach' of course.

At the very least, utilise the term the English use when referring to that era and formative England/Englishman ('Anglo-Saxon') and proceed thus: ''Gaelic-Scots word for Angles - Sasannach.'' When Sasannach is applied to the present day English, it is inaccurate as it is so derived from a specific historic national grouping and era. It is the equivalent of calling a Mexican person an 'Aztec' (or perhaps a better and more pertinent analogy would be, describing a Spaniard as a Moor?)!

Edited by DieselDaisy

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2016 at 2:23 PM, Gracii Guns said:

@action Jumper with cacti on: 9/10 (I have a similar shirt), Freddie doll : 8/10

However Freddie being overwhelmed by the Marshall amp is how I suspect Spinal Tap intended to look with the Stone Henge concept. 10/10.

hahahaha classic scene from a classic movie :lol:

On 11/5/2016 at 8:36 AM, Len Cnut said:

I thought Scotch was a proper way of saying Scotish, whoops, I shall desist in future.

i thought Scotch was a gross alcohol which when i was a kid i assumed tasted like butterscotch! :)

i have always used the term Scottish as the proper term for people from Scotland idk why :shrugs: