MUSE- Drones (June 8th) and Tour

ZoSoRose

Better when you develop your thoughts.

Well, I really dislike U2 to be honest. And I was surprised to enjoy Big Freeze on The 2nd law. Very U2-ish, but better. Matt is a better guitarist than Edge, and a far better singer than Bono. Also a far better composer overall.

As for Van Halen, I never got into their music, there are some amazing pieces of guitar in their songs, but they never made a song I really liked. Don't like the singing, don't like the style. So again, was surprised to enjoy something like Reapers.

I'd say it a tie with Queen, Muse can easily match Queen's best songs. The final section of The Globalist is pure Queen, except I like Matt's voice and lyrics better. Generally, Queen's lyrics are not very deep (except The Show must go on), but I can't really take anything away from Queen, I enjoy their albums a lot. Their sound is a bit dated though, Muse pushed what they did to a new level, that's the way I see it.

Try to give another chance to TG, it will grow on you eventually. The final section is surprising, my gf doesn't like it either, but it would have been way too easy to continue the 2nd part in the same way, and would have been boring with repeated listens (for example "Defector" is a more cohesive song, yet I'm pretty sure I won't be listening to it in 6 months).

I'll agree on one thing though, the album isn't their best and is a bit of a letdown. I expected more, I expected a real concept album with a real flow, sadly they completely missed their opportunity. And 4 bad songs is too much for them.

You say these things like they are facts, though. I think Bono is a superior singer and writer than Matt. Same with Queen. Muse is ambitious, but to say Queen is less so or that Muse can easily match them is an opinion I disagree with. Queen was one of the most ambitious bands of its day.

I doubt the song and record will grow on me because I think they lyrics are atrocious. I also don't like the song's flow. I'd love to be wrong, but its just how I see things. As I said, I think the first two parts of it were great. Since I think the third part isn't, it brings the whole piece down a lot for me

EDIT- Queen's lyrics not being deep, but defending Matt's lyrics. Wha?

Edited by ZoSoRose

Nah, no facts mate, just my 2 cents.

I don't get the love for U2 honestly. I just don't get it ahah. To me it's one of the most overrated bands of the century, along Metallica, Green Day and Nirvana. I just don't get it, I dislike Bono's voice and his lyrics to me are atrocious.

Matt's lyrics are sometimes very poor, especially on this album, but The Globalist's ones are amazing. IMO ; )

I'm gonna listen to it tomorrow, but am I the only one (and Randall, maybe, since his post is what prompted this) who thinks T2L is a damn solid album? I can fuck with every song besides Save Me and Big Freeze. Yes, even Madness/Explorers/Unsustainable/insert song from that record you don't like.

Damn I love that record, even Big Freeze is great fun, tbh I don't really dig Save Me but I appreciate Chris having some time to shine, Liquid State is a deadly track eventually. There's just so much variation and new angles unfurling all over the place, sure, too much experimentation/dipping into different areas can ruin the cohesion and focus of a record but I feel as if they'd earned that right at that point, it;s Muse, don't take it too seriously but don't let playing dress up get a pass, there was a great balance in the album for me.

Big Freeze feels wayyyyyy too much like U2 for me and I don't fuck with U2 that much, so I'm not a fan even though I don't think it's an atrocity of any sort. Agreed on the sentiment with Chris for Save Me, but I dig Liquid State enough (top 10 Muse songs for me at this point, maybe top 5) that I think they could've just rolled with that.

Also yeah I still haven't listened, it is what it is.

I might listen to it again later, I remember Reapers had a very impressive second half to it.

I'm gonna listen to it tomorrow, but am I the only one (and Randall, maybe, since his post is what prompted this) who thinks T2L is a damn solid album? I can fuck with every song besides Save Me and Big Freeze. Yes, even Madness/Explorers/Unsustainable/insert song from that record you don't like.

Damn I love that record, even Big Freeze is great fun, tbh I don't really dig Save Me but I appreciate Chris having some time to shine, Liquid State is a deadly track eventually. There's just so much variation and new angles unfurling all over the place, sure, too much experimentation/dipping into different areas can ruin the cohesion and focus of a record but I feel as if they'd earned that right at that point, it;s Muse, don't take it too seriously but don't let playing dress up get a pass, there was a great balance in the album for me.

Big Freeze feels wayyyyyy too much like U2 for me and I don't fuck with U2 that much, so I'm not a fan even though I don't think it's an atrocity of any sort. Agreed on the sentiment with Chris for Save Me, but I dig Liquid State enough (top 10 Muse songs for me at this point, maybe top 5) that I think they could've just rolled with that.

Also yeah I still haven't listened, it is what it is.

I dunno what it is about it, I just really dig the odd, bouncing deceptively happy vibe it has, it's such a curveball.

Nah, no facts mate, just my 2 cents.

I don't get the love for U2 honestly. I just don't get it ahah. To me it's one of the most overrated bands of the century, along Metallica, Green Day and Nirvana. I just don't get it, I dislike Bono's voice and his lyrics to me are atrocious.

Matt's lyrics are sometimes very poor, especially on this album, but The Globalist's ones are amazing. IMO ; )

Every artist is a canibal every poet is a theif all kill their inpisration and sing about their grief................... I could go on and on and on and point to numerous examples as to why Bono's lyrics are NOT atrocious. He has a LOT of really great lyrics and like any lyricist he has some questionable ones for sure.

It's funny you think Bono's voice is annoying which is fine, that's subjective but the absolute weak point of Muse for me is Bellamy's voice. Yes technically he's a good singer but it's the same sounding shit on every song. Bono is the superior singer because he has character and soul in his voice in my opinion. His voce invites you to sing along with him. He's not just some technically good singer who can sing high notes ad nauseum. Though he is a good technical singer.

I used to really like Muse but with each passing album they sound more and more pretentious. They remind me of a modern day version of Radiohead in that sense. I think if Muse had a new singer I'd probably like them way more. I've just grown so tired of Matt's voice. It's cold and annoying to me.

• Like 1

Seems like people here don't really like this record, ok

I strongly think this album is only good when you hear the whole thing, that's when you can get the concept of the record

To ZosoRose: Matt heading to the perfect direction with his "teenager edgy us vs. them, war sucks" direction. As you can see they are in the biggest bands in the world right now, therefore their fanbase is very mainstream. He exactly know how to grab attention with simple "us vs. them" themes and concepts. besides that, take in to consideration most of the pople in this world have known very little about what goes on in the world right now and what seems childish and edgy to you maybe is actually NEW and interesting ideas for some people who have not exactly belongs to the brightest and educated bunch....

What surprises me that Matt take his voice to the next level and this album somewhat an experimental album, he uses a lot of voices and effects which is the highlight for me on this record.

What is very odd to me that Muse used some of their heaviest riffs and solos ever yet the songs often seems to popish...

The guitar playing sounds stellar on almost every song and i really dig a lot of drum parts

The main problem is. the best riff (Psycho) get used with the absolute worst possible condition (the song really suck apart from the main riff that we've heard years ago). Mercy is too much pop, even for Muse, imo

The best songs are: The Handler, Reapers (although the latter could have been even better with another lyrics)

The rest of the album is like a film soundtrack to me, therefore i couldn't even listen to the songs as a "single" song---

The Globalist is a tribute to Morricone and basically Muse's "Coma" (if you know what i mean) but it's too long...

Drones is a surprise album closer, almost have a gregorian feeling, lol

i must have to write my full Muse scores to understand why i gave this album a 8 or 9 out of 10!

Showbiz: 9 out of 10

Origin of Simmetry: 9,5 out of 10(Hullabaloo was great too, Dead Star is one of their best songs, imho too bad they released it as a b-side)

Absolution: 10/10, their best record, imho

Black Holes and Revelations: 8,5 (that's where i really got into Muse but if i take the bigger picture, that's where "downfall" really begun musically regardless of their touring success)

The Resistance. 7/10 because i can hardly listen to a single song from that album (regardleess of how the album contains some great experimental fusion music)

The 2nd Law: 7/10. experimenting with more electronica and piggybacking on dubstep is not a good thing. The band sound tired but Bellamy can produces some great vocals. and Wolstenholme's vocals were fit to his songs and the guitar playing somewhat save this record for me

Drones: 8,5-9 out of 10: almost all of the Muse albums have 4-5 really stand out tracks, this album contains 2-3 only...

Positive part: heavy licks and riffs, technical solos. absolutely great vocals, tight band, great production, the album have a certain atmostphere

Negative part: average at best lyrics, the song structures are often too odd (Psycho was ruined ,because that terrible and cheesy movie sampler) sometimes

Edited by Strange Broue

Album is awful from what I've heard so far. They tried to go back to their rock roots but Matt still sings like he does on The Resistance and the lyrics are absolute shit.

Madness is better than the whole album.

go back to pitchfork with this shit, son (or whatever edgy magazine you read about this album)

Edited by Strange Broue

Every artist is a canibal every poet is a theif all kill their inpisration and sing about their grief................... I could go on and on and on and point to numerous examples as to why Bono's lyrics are NOT atrocious. He has a LOT of really great lyrics and like any lyricist he has some questionable ones for sure.

It's funny you think Bono's voice is annoying which is fine, that's subjective but the absolute weak point of Muse for me is Bellamy's voice. Yes technically he's a good singer but it's the same sounding shit on every song. Bono is the superior singer because he has character and soul in his voice in my opinion. His voce invites you to sing along with him. He's not just some technically good singer who can sing high notes ad nauseum. Though he is a good technical singer.

I used to really like Muse but with each passing album they sound more and more pretentious. They remind me of a modern day version of Radiohead in that sense. I think if Muse had a new singer I'd probably like them way more. I've just grown so tired of Matt's voice. It's cold and annoying to me.

Yeah I just don't like Bono's voice, and I don't feel any character or soul is his voice, it's just so generic. Anyone could replace him. Bellamy on the other hand, I find it hard to believe someone can describe it as "cold", but then again I've been a fan for a long time and am maybe 5 years younger than him, I evolved with their music, and each time, he makes some songs that are exactly what I need to hear at the moment. U2 songs are maybe great for the huge mainstream audience, to me it's just songs you can hear on the radio when you're in a supermarket. It's the big factory, they force these songs in your mouth, I don't like that.

Back when Muse were young, nobody knew about them. I introduced the band to a lot of my friends. I'm glad they finally got the success they deserve, I don't see another band from their generation with such talent.

I agree their songs may sound pretentious, but they have always been about that. It's ambitious. Their sound is huge. Has been ever since at least Absolution. Heck, even a song on OOS is called "Megalomania". Bellamy has obviously a huge ego, but he's just about the best of his generation so... Just like Axl.

Album is awful from what I've heard so far. They tried to go back to their rock roots but Matt still sings like he does on The Resistance and the lyrics are absolute shit.

Bacardi speakin' the truth.

Madness is the only song Muse has released since Black Holes and Revelations that is still on my playlist

Here are the songs I genuinely think are good since Black Holes-

Uprising

Unnatural Selection

Resistance

Exogenesis

Supremacy

Animals

Reapers

Songs I think are decent-

Madness

Panic Station

The Handler

Dead Inside

Songs I think are just ok or meh-

United States of Eurasia

Survival

Follow Me

Everything else is forgettable to bad. Not a very good track record for 3 albums =(

Edited by ZoSoRose

Bacardi speakin' the truth.

Madness is the only song Muse has released since Black Holes and Revelations that is still on my playlist

If you really only listn to Madness (a piss poor piggybacking attempt on current trends) then i feel sorry for you

• 7 months later...

Just saw this tour

Mainly went to take my gf. Got us on the barrier and she was mesmerized. Had a good time because of that

Still, the setlist was dreadful. Anyone else catch this tour?

Nope. Pretty much based my decision on whether to make an effort for a show or not (no ATL show either) on the setlist. Wayyyy too much off of Drones, which isn't surprising.