Do you think Slash made a big mistake dropping Josh Todd from Velvet Revolver?

gnfnrs1972

As Buckcherry has progressed it seems Josh would have been more stable as it turns out. Musically Buckcherry has stayed true to rock n roll. They have probly had just as much success as VR. Josh has toured alot so that would fit in with Slash's likes. Wouldn't have Slash been better off , or just as well off with Josh as he is with Myles? I'd like to hear the 10 songs they recorded myself. Would any of you...or could you care less?

Todd doesn't have the voice for VR. Would have been alright for a guest spot on Slash's debut solo album, but a full album would be gross.

I take it your not a Buckcherry fan then. Imo he is miles better than myles.

I've seen Buckcherry live a few years back; the band's alright, but will only be remembered for their few big singles down the line. No clue if they're still doing anything.

Todd's voice is as unappealing to me as the singer of Volbeat's.

Edited by Gackt

I don't like the guy from Buckcherry's voice, I don't like Weiland's (or Myles') either I'm afraid.

I don't know who, but I'd much prefer it if Slash had a guy from his own era as frontman, I don't really go in for the "new rock" sound and style of bands like Buckcherry.

Sorry :lol:

I don't like the guy from Buckcherry's voice, I don't like Weiland's (or Myles') either I'm afraid.

I don't know who, but I'd much prefer it if Slash had a guy from his own era as frontman, I don't really go in for the "new rock" sound and style of bands like Buckcherry.

Sorry :lol:

No apologies necessary. Unless your referring to the song title. You like what you like. But to me Josh is from Slash's era.

Todd doesn't have the voice for VR. Would have been alright for a guest spot on Slash's debut solo album, but a full album would be gross.

I take it your not a Buckcherry fan then. Imo he is miles better than myles.

I've seen Buckcherry live a few years back; the band's alright, but will only be remembered for their few big singles down the line. No clue if they're still doing anything.

Todd's voice is as unappealing to me as the singer of Volbeat's.

They have a new ep out now titled FUCK. Edited by gnfnrs1972

I'm glad the band worked with Weiland for as long as they did. Say what you want about him, but he is one of the better frontmans out there. It's just a shame no self-respecting individual can stand working with him for any extended period of time.

Todd would have likely given the band more stability and longevity, but I can't imagine his vocals on some of VR's biggest hits. Maybe they would have been good, but I just can't hear it.

• Like 1

Nope. Saw Buckcherry a year or two back and Josh was fucked out of his mind. The biggest mistake Buckcherry made was letting go of 2Fingers. Last I heard they had reduced themselves to selling branded sex toys :lol:

No. I prefer Josh Todd over Myles Kennedy, but well, honestly there aren't many singers out there who I wouldn't prefer over Myles... I definetely don't prefer Josh over Weiland, though. Weiland was perfect for what the guys were trying to do with Velvet Revolver. He is a great frontman. Sings, composes and performs well. And he has something the other two of them lack: personality. Josh's and Myle's voices are just too hollow and generic. Which is perfect for the crap rock they play, really.

Thing is, Josh's and really, the whole Buckcherry act is ridiculous. Too "cool" and "edgy" and "fuck yeah rock n' roll fuck you". Imagine if that guy was playing with Slash? Slash has already gone into a direction I personally don't like, and Josh if was his singer, then... His albums would be way more formulatic dad-rock. It would be awful.You know who'd pair very well with Josh Todd? :lol: You know...

Anyway, I believe Slash needs a singer with a personality, with an iconic voice. He's a fantastic guitarist, but only when he has a solid background. His Guns N' Roses stuff is amazing, and so was Velvet Revolver. His first solo album had very good songs, mainly the ones sang by good singers. But any other thing he has done without a great singer turned out to be utter shit, in my opinion.

Edited by ManetsBR
  • Like 1

Anyway, I believe Slash needs a singer with a personality, with an iconic voice. He's a fantastic guitarist, but only when he has a solid background. His Guns N' Roses stuff is amazing, and so was Velvet Revolver. His first solo album had very good songs, mainly the ones sang by good singers. But any other thing he has done without a great singer turned out to be utter shit, in my opinion.

I am in full agreement with your point about the type of vocalist needed.

Slash is just just a guitar player and is therefore limited in what experience he can deliver by that.

I think even amazing guitar work is lost when you place a shit vocalist over it.

The riffs in Shotgun Blues, Right Next Door to Hell, Don't Damn Me and plenty others would not sound out of place on some of the lesser tunes on WOF. The only difference is that Mr. Axl Rose laid his scorching vocals down and the songs were transformed.

It says a lot about Slash that people (even the haters) seem to see him at the same level as Axl in terms of band dynamic. BUT in a great band, its always been vocals first and guitar second. Slash has just pushed himself so far forward that those lines are blurred in his case.

There could be a nefarious argument that Slash likes having a less than-stellar front man in his band as it makes him the comfortable top dog on stage (certainly the lights shine on him the most live) but I don't think this is true. Slash is still a big name and the shows he puts on give the majority of fee-paying punters what they want i.e. SLASH with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators.

I was intrigued when Slash mentioned that he wanted to approach Thom Yorke to sing on his first solo album but his courage deserted him. That could have been interesting, not permanent but interesting. It also opens up the idea that there could have been other high-profile singers approached that said "no". We know that Dave Grohl did, preferring to stay on drums.

Axl back in the day was a peerless front man, we all agree on that. Scott live (and sober) is a savage front man. Swagger, big bluesy voice, attitude, great show man. Myles is a nice guy/guitar player who can sing and that sticks out a mile. Maybe after Axl & Scott, Slash felt Myles was an affable benign presence with good pipes that would do as he was told. I think it has lessened the impact Slash could have had by about 40% had he chosen the right front man but at this stage in life, he's probably happy with that.

Josh Todd is miles better than Myles Kennedy. I was a BuckCherry fan when their first album was released. They were like the only New band with an old sound for a while. I've seen them in concert and he is far better performer than Myles is as well. Also and I can't stress this enough, he is a FAR better song writer than Myles is as well.

I think they made the right choice to go with Scott for VR. Because when he is right, Scott is better than both Myles and Josh. But if they would have gone with Josh, not only would VR still be a band, But given his track record, I think gnr would no longer be an issue. I'm not a fan of the song Crazy Bitch, but it does rock, but had that song been written by VR with Slash on lead guitar. We might be asking ourselves Axl who.....

I think he has a better voice for GnR than Scott Weiland does. Hes also a lot better than Myles in my opinion. He would have beena great choice for both VR and Slashs solo material.

**Edit: By GnR I meant VR but I suppose if GnR needed a new singer Id rather Todd than Weiland for that too.

Edited by Bono

I think he has a better voice for GnR than Scott Weiland does. Hes also a lot better than Myles in my opinion. He would have beena great choice for both VR and Slashs solo material.

Buckcherry's newest ep has a cover version of mama kin on it and he does a good job on it. I've always thought his voice was in between Axl and Steven Tyler so Imo he would have been a good fit. The only problem he seems to have is that he sings in the same tone alot.

I've never cared for Josh's voice, although I liked "Lit Up" and "Crazy Bitch". I find it kind of grating.

I always liked Ridin'. It was the song I first heard of Buckcherry and I thought it rocked pretty good. Sorry showed he could sing ballads too. To be honest though I only know Buckcherry for their radio songs. Never bothered to look too much into their other stuff.

Buckcherrys stuff is amazing. Maybe not to the technical level of Slash but just balls out rock n roll. Josh is a way better song writer/frontman than Myles. But I still prefer Myles fronting Slashs band. If you've only heard Buckcherrys hits then YouTube some of their acoustic stuff. It's amazing. Their live album is really good.

If slash wanted a different singer I'd love the guy from Shinedown. He's got a great voice for slow or heavy music

I know this might piss off a lot of Myles Kennedy fan boys on this forum, but the BuckCherry songs lit up, ridin, check your head, crazy bitch, and sorry are better songs than anything Myles Kennedy has ever written. Also they are better than any of Slash's solo songs, lyrically. Now Slither and Fall to pieces can give BuckCherry a run for their money, but that's because of Scott's influence on them, so Its hard to say VR would have been better off.

On the other hand, it would have been Keith and Josh from BuckCherry joining VR, not just Josh. So obviously Dave (what's his name) would of never of gotten that gig, because Keith was jamming with slash and them as well, it wasn't just Josh. Plus those two are directly responsible for all of BuckCherrys songs, So it does beg the question. Also the music for Slither, Set me free, and fall to pieces would have still existed. When you add those with BuckCherry songs, especially the ones like Crazy bitch and sorry (because they would of been VR tunes as opposed to BC songs) it does make for one Hell of an argument.

When BuckCherry first came out, I dug the song lit up. It rocked and had an old school feel to it, plus my local radio station played it often. Then soon after I read in a rock magazine (because back then that was the best way to get music news, because the internet was still pretty new) a review on the their first album. Well the reviewer called them "Guns n' Roses scrappy little brothers that are making a splash on the LA scene, just like gnr did." well that obviously drew my attention, so I bought their first album. To my surprise, I actually liked quite a bit of it, it was a pretty damn solid rock album, especially around 2000 or whenever it came out. Them a year or so later they released Time Bomb, their 2nd album it wasn't as good as the first, but the song ridin had them all over mtv for a while. Well sometime after that, they broke up or whatever. That's when VR came a calling. When the VR thing fell through, Josh and Keith reformed the band and made a comeback with Crazy Bitch. Now that song really blew them up, like very few rock bands have since the early 90s really. I liked the song at first, but I grew tired of it quickly. But what amazed me was how girls responded to that song, not since the 80s have I seen women So into a rock song. Its like Pour sugar on me or you give love a bad name, but was released in the 2000s. If you are in a bar and that song comes on, the girls flock to the dance floor, and it's a freaking rock song. Honestly how often does that happen anymore? That alone gained my respect for those guys. Like I said before, I'm not really into the song, but I have to tip my hat to them for making girls in the 2000s act like it was 1988 all over again.

So did Slash make a mistake by not taking those two? Yes and no. Scott was great in his own way, no doubt there. But VR might of been able to really erase gnr had Crazy Bitch become a VR song....

Buckcherrys stuff is amazing. Maybe not to the technical level of Slash but just balls out rock n roll. Josh is a way better song writer/frontman than Myles. But I still prefer Myles fronting Slashs band. If you've only heard Buckcherrys hits then YouTube some of their acoustic stuff. It's amazing. Their live album is really good.

If slash wanted a different singer I'd love the guy from Shinedown. He's got a great voice for slow or heavy music

I know this might piss off a lot of Myles Kennedy fan boys on this forum, but the BuckCherry songs lit up, ridin, check your head, crazy bitch, and sorry are better songs than anything Myles Kennedy has ever written. Also they are better than any of Slash's solo songs, lyrically.

Funny how you guys say that like it is a fact when it is very much an opinion. If you don't like Myles with Slash or whatever and have listened to all his work, fine, I totally get it. But you can't knock his song writing. He's become a huge part of Alter Bridge's writing, he writes a lot of their music and most of their lyrics. Its really good stuff, a lot more "mature" (I can't think of a word) than Slash's stuff (which I also really dig).

If anything, just listen to the songs Blackbird, Fortress, Cry of Achilles, Isolation, and Calm the FIre for starters. Its all pretty ambitious.

Scott is a way more versatile singer than Josh.

Yeah, Josh and Buckcherry are alright. In my opinion, they are just another run of the mill, generic hard rock band but I do like them.

Scott is much better, though. Too bad he is such a fuck-up

Edited by ZoSoRose