West Arkeen Demo

raska27

Someone asked about the origins of Crash Diet, Just Another Sunday etc on one of the other topics.

Given they are well known songs, but the origins aren't so well known, I thought it deserved its own topic.

The songs originally came from a West Arkeen Demo tape that he recorded and used GN'R members on some songs. It seems at some point someone has taken the songs GN'R members were on and bootlegged them as GN'R Demos.

Below are pics of the original tape and some info that I grabbed off the net when the tape came up on ebay a few years back.

Maybe Marc can shed some light on when this was most likely recorded, I don't think 89/90 is correct as the seller guessed, I suspect earlier. I remember a Slash interview when he said Crash Diet was from a very old demo from 86 or so.

btizpvq2kkgrhgookjqejll.jpg

westarkeendemotapeebay2_1.jpg

• Like 1

My guess is, 1985-6ish, at the Hell House. Slash talks about Del having an old tape recorder or four track in his bedroom there. Numerous GN'R members stayed over at various times.

One of the non-GN'R songs, 'Walk on By', made it through to The Outpatience's Anxious Disease (1996) by the way, West's band.

• Like 1

A year or so ago I was looking for videos of West Arkeen. I came across one and in the comment section was a guy claiming to be the guy recording the video. He said he was good freinds with West and that he (West) had a bunch of demos to be used by Axl and Slash only if they reconciled. He answered a bunch of questions from people and imo, was legit.

Anyways when I joined here I asked Marc if he'd ever heard of this tape and he said he hadn't. I believe someone else close to the band was asked about it to but I can't remember who.

I've had most of those demos for many years. From my experience with collecting GN'R demos, Daisy is correct.

Another song in dispute is "Ain't going dow

n" which is a UYI demo 1990-ish.

Ain't going down was put together and played live in August of 1986 it was then recorded in 1991 and was an UYI outtake but did make in on to the GNR pinball in 1994

I've had most of those demos for many years. From my experience with collecting GN'R demos, Daisy is correct.

Ain't going down was put together and played live in August of 1986 it was then recorded in 1991 and was an UYI outtake but did make in on to the GNR pinball in 1994

Is it available for purchase?

Cuz i have only heard it on a YouTube video and I'd like to have an actual mp3 of it :)

Is it available for purchase?

Cuz i have only heard it on a YouTube video and I'd like to have an actual mp3 of it :)

http://my-hit.com/i-ain%27t-going-down

• 1 year later...
On 3/19/2015 at 11:31 PM, raska27 said:

Someone asked about the origins of Crash Diet, Just Another Sunday etc on one of the other topics.

Given they are well known songs, but the origins aren't so well known, I thought it deserved its own topic.

The songs originally came from a West Arkeen Demo tape that he recorded and used GN'R members on some songs. It seems at some point someone has taken the songs GN'R members were on and bootlegged them as GN'R Demos.

Below are pics of the original tape and some info that I grabbed off the net when the tape came up on ebay a few years back.

Maybe Marc can shed some light on when this was most likely recorded, I don't think 89/90 is correct as the seller guessed, I suspect earlier. I remember a Slash interview when he said Crash Diet was from a very old demo from 86 or so.

btizpvq2kkgrhgookjqejll.jpg

westarkeendemotapeebay2_1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/3/2017 at 3:00 PM, Gibbo said:

Could 'Just Another Sunday' be 'Sunny Lovers Day'? It's missing from that tape, so it's safe to think it could there under a different title (Bring it Back Home is listed as Bring It Down Home. And the one listed as Too Much Too Fast has always been around as Too Much Too Soon) 

Edited by Twinaleblood
fixed typo
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2017 at 6:45 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

Can't fucking remember where I read it now but the original intro to Yesterdays, as heard here, is the intro of Fall To Pieces, Slash decided to save it for a later song and changed it slightly, and he played it for Axl in the final sessions in 1996

i love this....this is a great song :wub:

• Like 1