Old School Hip-Hop

J Dog

Out of all of them LL perhaps deserves the most credit. Ra' and Kane and KRS are just prodigies. LL on the other hand, lyrically, like technically speaking, you could probably argue isn't quite there, in terms of just pure technicality...but it's what he says and the way he says it and the truth to it that just makes it fuckin' mindblowing. The fact that he went out and fucked Canibus, as one of the old timers, THAT late in his career, when 'Bis was being labelled some kind of freak lyrical genius...and LL just exposed him. He really did tear him apart. I learned a valuable lesson about battling that day, it ain't always how you rhyme but how believable you are. What Canibus was saying, in terms of substance, in that song, was bullshit. And LL just took every line and turned it on Bis, in the more powerful unashamed and most importantly, accurate way. It's true, 99% of his fans didn't exist, it's true LL blows someone like Bis out of the water on every level. As good as a rhymer Bis was watch that video, skinny lil Bis jumping up and down like he's one of the kids on the old McDonalds commercials, it don't fool no one. Least not when LL came on.

Thats like Ra' goin' in now on...i dunno, Kendrick or somebody. Personally i think Ra' would splatter Kendrick. Kane too, and KRS. KRS just like...i love KRS, there is a palpable joy in his voice when he's raping the competition to death :lol: Noooooobody with any brains wants it with KRS.

'i finally figured it out, Magic mouth suckin'/Roxanne Shante is only good for steady fuckin''

WHAAAAT? In 1986, are you serious?!? :lol: Badman!

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

Pac reminds me of LL. Skill and lyrically and technically, maybe they didn't shine all the time like others. Delivery. That is super important. And they had legendary deliveries. You can have all the mc skills in the world, but if you don't have delivery, then it's just a bunch of words coming out your mouth. LL pretty much took Canibus out the game. He pretty much took Kool Moe Dee out the game, and as we said, that guy was a part of the very first rap battle ever, and LL killed him.

Besides Em, I can't think of anyone that would stand a chance. Like I said, delivery is huge. You can have all the skill you want, pack it with 80 bars and all that shit, without a good delivery it's just a bunch of words coming out your mouth.

And the reality of what he says, its ok rhyming up a sci fi novel saying all complex shit but if its just you dreaming up cartooney ways of murdering your opponent in rhyme form but when LL starts laying out his fuckin' pedigree and picking your shit apart you're dead in the water.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Mansin Humanity said:

Yesterday I finally listened to UGK's Ridin' Dirty for the first time. God damn, that took me too long.

Better late than never! And finally another UGK fan. Ridin Dirty is so hard, classic. Next you should jump to their big comeback album from '07 or so, Underground Kingz. Damn near just as good.

These boys helped lay down the south. This is may be the best southern beat ever....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

First off you need to check out that UGK. Ridin Dirty and Underground Kingz. You'll like them, it's big boy rap.

Second, that Royce is nice. Haven't heard that in awhile. Preemo is gold.

Not one of his classics but a personal favorite...