Wolfmother

majormayhem

I'm sure most of these people haven't taken the time to listen to the rest other than their Debut. I am the biggest Wolfmother fan here, hands down. It's my favorite band and I'll tell you all about it.

- Cosmic Egg: My favorite WM album, different line-up than debut, sort of megalomaniac, not a power trio anymore, different line-up. Some songs can't be performed live because of that. Still, excellent. Best songs? Sundial, 10.000 Feet, In The Morning, Cosmonaut, Pilgrim and Eyes Open.

- Andrew Stockdale's Solo Album, Keep Moving: Kinda Meh, not on par with WM debut or Cosmic Egg. Has some good songs but lots of filler. Andrew decided to go solo, different line=up than Cosmic Egg or WM debut. Best songs? Long Way To Go, Keep Moving, Meridian, Ghetto, Black Swan, Everyday Drone and Black Swan.

- New Crown: Excellent. Back to the power trio formula, stripped down album, really trashy production that reminds you of Black Sabbath Vol.4, really heavy songs. Excellent. Best songs: Heavy Weight, New Crown, Enemy Is In Your Mind, Tall Ships, How Many Times.

They're currently recording the follow-up to New Crown. I can't wait. WM does it better nowadays than the bands Rovim criticizes them of ripping off. That's just good music. Good thing someone makes good music for people that were born late like I was.

Sundial and Heavyweight are awesome songs. I love Wolfmother, probably my favorite band ive heard in years. I like new crown better than cosmic egg, I suppose because of the "return to form.". Call them zepplin ripoffs if you want, but they have a great classic rock sound and deliver a fresh version of that sound.

But, can you really call them Wolfmother when only one of the original members is in the band? Discuss.

I'm sure most of these people haven't taken the time to listen to the rest other than their Debut. I am the biggest Wolfmother fan here, hands down. It's my favorite band and I'll tell you all about it.

- Cosmic Egg: My favorite WM album, different line-up than debut, sort of megalomaniac, not a power trio anymore, different line-up. Some songs can't be performed live because of that. Still, excellent. Best songs? Sundial, 10.000 Feet, In The Morning, Cosmonaut, Pilgrim and Eyes Open.

- Andrew Stockdale's Solo Album, Keep Moving: Kinda Meh, not on par with WM debut or Cosmic Egg. Has some good songs but lots of filler. Andrew decided to go solo, different line=up than Cosmic Egg or WM debut. Best songs? Long Way To Go, Keep Moving, Meridian, Ghetto, Black Swan, Everyday Drone and Black Swan.

- New Crown: Excellent. Back to the power trio formula, stripped down album, really trashy production that reminds you of Black Sabbath Vol.4, really heavy songs. Excellent. Best songs: Heavy Weight, New Crown, Enemy Is In Your Mind, Tall Ships, How Many Times.

They're currently recording the follow-up to New Crown. I can't wait. WM does it better nowadays than the bands Rovim criticizes them of ripping off. That's just good music. Good thing someone makes good music for people that were born late like I was.

Edited by majormayhem

I honestly don't know enough about them on that type of level to say if it's still WM. I don't know their history like that. Is like a Mustaine/Megadeth type of thing or Axl/GNR type of deal? I liked their debut and Cosmic Egg though. From the sound of it I think I need to check out New Crown too.

Well, the thing is... If you stil considered them WM after Debut, you everything's game now. The only important line-up change was then. After that, it was a constant rotation and now it's stable again. The only constant member has been bassist Ian Perez that is the band's second bass player, and is still there to this day, longer than anyone else since Andrew, having been every album other than debut. i discovered them with New Moon Rising so I didn't get to grow fond of the original line-up. I got pissed with the constant changes though. Glad they settled with this new power trio again. They're all awesome. Vin Steele drums like a motherfucker.

Well, the thing is... If you stil considered them WM after Debut, you everything's game now. The only important line-up change was then. After that, it was a constant rotation and now it's stable again. The only constant member has been bassist Ian Perez that is the band's second bass player, and is still there to this day, longer than anyone else since Andrew, having been every album other than debut. i discovered them with New Moon Rising so I didn't get to grow fond of the original line-up. I got pissed with the constant changes though. Glad they settled with this new power trio again. They're all awesome. Vin Steele drums like a motherfucker.

Yes, and I suppose, since they aren't just playing material by the original lineup, and are creating and adding to the beast known as Wolfmother, then its cool. ;)

Seen 'em live twice, they put on a good show. First in 2007 with original line up. That show was off the hook as the saying goes, among the best shows I've seen. Second time was in 2011 I think and for me it didn't live up to my expectations but my friend who I went with still has it as the best concert he's ever attended.

When it comes to albums I love both the self titled and Cosmic Egg about equally, maybe CE is ahead of the debut. Haven't listened to New Crown more than once I think. Mostly because it isn't available on spotify or as a physical copy. I won't pay for MP3s and don't download music anymore.

Haven't listened to Stockdale's solo album.

Seen 'em live twice, they put on a good show. First in 2007 with original line up. That show was off the hook as the saying goes, among the best shows I've seen. Second time was in 2011 I think and for me it didn't live up to my expectations but my friend who I went with still has it as the best concert he's ever attended.

When it comes to albums I love both the self titled and Cosmic Egg about equally, maybe CE is ahead of the debut. Haven't listened to New Crown more than once I think. Mostly because it isn't available on spotify or as a physical copy. I won't pay for MP3s and don't download music anymore.

Haven't listened to Stockdale's solo album.

Give it a listen again when you get the chance, it's worth it. Amazing album. Stockdale's is different. It's like: if you really enjoyed all of WM's material, go for it. It's not the typical WM sound, it's calmer, more straightfoward RnR, no sabbath or zeppelin style riffs or stuff like that, much of the album is actually calm or acoustic, and it's a long album.

And I always thought the Wolfmother fan thing was a myth. No shit.

They just remind me of a mix between Atomic Rooster, Uriah Heep and Sabbath...cool sound and all but it's just that I've heard it all before, and those bands did it better.

But they don't release anything anymore. If you were around at the time they did, good for you. Many like that kind of music and want new stuff like that, like I do. And in my opinion, 13 wasn't better than anything Wolfmother has put out so far. Give me debut, Cosmic Egg or New Crown any day.

EDIT: Plus, I gotta say this. People criticize new stuff for being shit, then they criticize new artists like Wolfmother, Radio Moscow, Arctic Monkeys, Blues Pills and Rival Sons for playing stuff that sound like the stuff they use as comparison to criticize the new stuff, saying it's lack of originality and the ridiculous, nonsense phrase Mike Patton said "what year are we in?" well, what separates rock from other genres is, as it evolves, people don't discard the older stages of rock, they add to it, with a few exceptions. And fans stick to the sound they grew up listening to or associate most with. If you loved Zeppelin when younger, chances are you're gonna have a hard time listening to Linkin Park. But Zeppelin doesn't release shit anymore, neither does 95% of the bands those people grew up listening to, and there are also the other fans that never even got to follow the bands they like, like me. I was born in 1990, when I started listening to rock music, I was freaking doomed already. I love the fact bands like Wolfmother and the ones I mentioned are there for that marketshare that love that old sound.

Edited by Cosmo
  • Like 3

• 9 months later...