What was 2006 like here on the forums?

2002 failed and then there was silence. So how was 2006 like here? Must have been a great surprise to see Axl back with once again a great voice. Were his new look known before the first concert? How was the build up to the first concert?

Edited by seagullview

At least before CD dropped you could pretend that Axl was some sort of mad genius recording a masterpiece, that there was a sort of, method in his madness. I mean, we didn't know about Scraped or Shackler's Revenge then haha. Ignorance was bliss.

• Like 3

I don't get the Floyd reference to GNR.

CD is just GNR meets Alt Rock. That is kind of bizarre I suppose. It's a simple idea really.

I ''thought'', i.e. past tense. This was before the album dropped. A lot of people at the time thought he would put out albums of a Floydish, Zepplinish, scope. And then we got the thing!!

I was a lurker. People were positive for the most part, which I found odd after the initial excitement, because there wasn't much to be positive about. Axl had gotten his voice in order, sure, but the band had lost its most talented member, replaced him with a guy using a foot guitar, and proceeded with their milk the classics formula. With CD in the making for over a decade, I didn't need to hear Jungle live again, although there were some damn good Jungles in 2006 and I paid hundreds of dollars to go to multiple shows.

I posted for the first time in 2006. I thought BBF was absurd and made a comment about him that got me insta-banned. :lol:

• Like 1

I don't get the Floyd reference to GNR.

CD is just GNR meets Alt Rock. That is kind of bizarre I suppose. It's a simple idea really.

I ''thought'', i.e. past tense. This was before the album dropped. A lot of people at the time thought he would put out albums of a Floydish, Zepplinish, scope. And then we got the thing!!

I see the Zeppelin element more but in 2000 I saw the band I just thought oh he wants to make a 90s album. Its like Axl made his version of Angel Dust.

It was exciting and there was a real sense of expectation given axls comments about 2006 being the year.

Would be cool to get that back again...a great time to be a guns fan and I was lucky enough to see em twice that year

I was a lurker. People were positive for the most part, which I found odd after the initial excitement, because there wasn't much to be positive about. Axl had gotten his voice in order, sure, but the band had lost its most talented member, replaced him with a guy using a foot guitar, and proceeded with their milk the classics formula. With CD in the making for over a decade, I didn't need to hear Jungle live again, although there were some damn good Jungles in 2006 and I paid hundreds of dollars to go to multiple shows.

I posted for the first time in 2006. I thought BBF was absurd and made a comment about him that got me insta-banned. :lol:

I've never come close to the high I felt the day that Rio 4 was announced and the day I booked tickets. It was never the same for me after Bucket left but I remember feeling that Robin massively stepped up his game on stage and started acting like the main guy.

I can't even really remember how I felt in '06 thanks to the last 4 years of ugh. I went to the Hammerstein shows and it was awesome to see the old Axl back. I think I still imagined there was a good chance that Axl was still young enough and good enough (and I loved the leaks) to be genuinely relevant again the way Maiden have been and I expected the promo, interviews, singles, b-sides, award shows etc etc

If you'd have told me that eight years later he'd still be opening the shows with Appetite...well, fuck.