What was 2006 like here on the forums?

Axl said in 2006 it was "this year". A lot of people were confident it was gonna go down that year.

I remember that. He said "it's definitely coming out this year."

The shitstorm was pretty funny, but I remember I was mad as hell while listening to the leaks and discussing them. People were just happy to hear his voice again like that on Better.

Plus Merck was a hoot.

2006 should have been very different. There was huge momentum for the new album, and for a long time, it was a very exciting time to be a GN'R fan.

Given all the build up, Merck tried to force Axl's hand late 2006, it didn't happen. Bye bye Merck.

Let's be fair and let's be clear though, all the Hammerstein stuff was down to Merck, and also alot of other exciting oddities. He was real decent to the forums, despite some quirkiness and mystery.

Even now, he is a big Axl fan and has nothing bad to say against him.

Just another chapter in the story that is GN'R.

2002 failed and then there was silence. So how was 2006 like here? Must have been a great surprise to see Axl back with once again a great voice. Were his new look known before the first concert? How was the build up to the first concert?

You can now see for yourself in Yesterdays, our new way-back-when section of the forum:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/forum/356-2006/

I remember the one guy who claimed to have "Checkmate" approached Merck at one of the Hammerstein shows and Merck freaked out because he thought the guy would leak unreleased material.

The band was at the mercy of the leaks and those who controlled them. Strange times.

2002 failed and then there was silence. So how was 2006 like here? Must have been a great surprise to see Axl back with once again a great voice. Were his new look known before the first concert? How was the build up to the first concert?

You can now see for yourself in Yesterdays, our new way-back-when section of the forum:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/forum/356-2006/

Cool. Keep up the good work

It was really fun. I remember it all kicking off with the photos of Axl at that Papa Roach release party, then getting to fever pitch when the Trunk interview and the first Hammerstein show were happening. the years between the 2002 tour shitting the bed and Christmas of 2005 were absolutely fucking painful from a fan perspective because aside from the botched Rio show we basically had fuck all to talk about aside from the IRS leak but on the plus side having fuck all to talk about made things a little bit better for the actual community, and I spoke to a lot of cool, interesting people on here and met a few at one point, always had a good time despite not always agreeing with what people had to say.

I remember waiting up online at what must have been 4/5/6am UK time to read updates about the first Hammerstein show, which seems insane now. I was so fucking psyched. The resulting just over two year wait for the album was still a slog, but 2006 was generally just a really great year with the slow, looming realisation that basically every year since has been a slow and steady trip downhill as a fan.