The Purple album - Whitesnake

wasted

This new Whitesnake album is made up of Deep Purple, Rainbow and Whitesnake songs.

WS is also doing a tour doing songs from all 3 bands. I'm seeing them in June and I pre-ordered this new album.

I've always liked WS. I thought David had one of the most amazing voices in rock. It should be a really good show.

Whitesnake is surprisingly a decent band if we exclude hair metal period.

Yeah so many top players from so many classic bands have been in Whitesnake over the years- I wasn't suggesting Whitesnake sucks with my earlier comment, I just mean that is a really awful version of Stormbringer.

• Like 1

Whitesnake is surprisingly a decent band if we exclude hair metal period.

Yeah so many top players from so many classic bands have been in Whitesnake over the years- I wasn't suggesting Whitesnake sucks with my earlier comment, I just mean that is a really awful version of Stormbringer.

I`m not a fan of theirs either but they`re a solid Blues based Heavy Rock band especially earlier incamations with Bernie Marsden, Micky Moody, John Sykes, Adrian Vanderberg, Neil Murray, Jon Lord, Ian Paice, Cozy Powell etc.

I often make fun of so called " shit rock " but I gave them a fair listen the other day and I have to say I was surprised there is some quality stuff and intense guitar playing on old albums up untill "Slide it In". As for " Purple Album ", snippets don`t sound very promising.

Edited by Ragnar
  • Like 1

Wow Stormbringer sounds better than Burn.................. and I don't think either sound great

Wtf were Reb and Joel thinking for guitar tone on Burn?!?!?!? The guitars have NO punch, way too dark. I miss Doug :(. Good lead playing, but I expected that.

I'm actually a big WS fan (mostly pre-1987, and post-1997, but I've grown to like the middle stuff a bit too, there are some killer tracks spread throughout that period), and when I saw this is what WS's next album was going to be, I was a bit disappointed. It's a decent track list, not many deep cuts, Lay Down Stay Down is cool - looking forward to that.

DC sounds worse than he ever has tbh, I liked his rawness on GTBB and FM, and he even sounded pretty good live when I saw them. But from the two tracks we've heard off of this, it looks like he's starting to lose it. Sad, I don't know if we'll ever get another WS album like GTBB or FM.... did I say I miss Doug?

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I miss Doug too.

Anyway here's Lay Down Stay Down

Was just coming here to post that.....

I'm really disappointed, it's pretty much the one I was looking forward to the most, and it sounds very "meh." And the video is stupid, it doesn't line up and all of the clutter on top is annoying. Mostly though my issue is that they did not do this song justice at all. Why the fuck did they slow it down? Dumb move. And DC doesn't sound good at all. As the other two, some really good lead guitar work. But jeez these songs did not need rearranging/added parts ffs.

Wow: just tested both version's tempos, they actually didn't slow it down at all! They've just managed to lose all of the power and ferocity of the original!

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

JMO opinion but the instrumentals are good but what the hell happened to Coverdale's voice? My throat hurt listening to him sing on those two songs.

Would love to see a reunion of the DP MK III band but don't know if Blackmore would do it. As much as I love his playing he is a major asshole as a person and can't see him doing reunion.

JMO opinion but the instrumentals are good but what the hell happened to Coverdale's voice? My throat hurt listening to him sing on those two songs.

Would love to see a reunion of the DP MK III band but don't know if Blackmore would do it. As much as I love his playing he is a major asshole as a person and can't see him doing reunion.

JLT keeps saying how Blackmore is dead keen on getting Rainbow back together, with either Bain or Daisley.