The Purple album - Whitesnake

wasted

I'll never understand why he only ever did the one album with Page.

I am with you Black as I thought some of the songs on the Coverdale/ Page album were better than anything on the "In Through the Out Door" Zep album.

Not sure why Jimmy backed away from that collaboration. :shrugs:

I am with you Black as I thought some of the songs on the Coverdale/ Page album were better than anything on the "In Through the Out Door" Zep album.

Yeah the timing is weird. Plant toured up to 94 on the back of his pretty successful Fate Of Nations album, and C/P were touring Japan but suddenly in October 94 Page/Plant were doing the Unledded thing. It looks to me like Page jumped ship and left Dave hanging.

Edited by moreblack

He understand it he couldn't sing anymore these songs and hughes was the only way to hit the hard high notes without sound like crap.David,just retire dude.

David still sounds good. Its that he's touring all wrong.

He made two really great albums with the new Whitesnake, one of which was truly excellent (Good To Be Bad). He should do tours where he truly plays a lot of those songs, which he doesn't. He plays like 2 and then all the old hits. Thats wrong. Now that Doug is gone I guess it doesn't really matter anymore anyway, but he should play a headlining set with at least 5 songs from each of the last two records. They were that good and he should support them.

Or he should play classic Whitesnake era material. 1978-1984. The real blues band kind of stuff. He could easily make a great setlist of that with his new band, or if he wanted to be amazing he could bring back the old band of Marsden and Moody, who are still alive. But I would love to see a tour that focuses on that material and I think his new rock backing band could kill that stuff.

OR he and Glenn could tour their Deep Purple era. Both sound great vocally still, at least Glenn does, and that would be a really cool tour. They have 3 great albums of material, and mix in some of their solo stuff/Whitesnake material and you have a really killer setlist which is well balanced and gives each guy a break if they want it.

But nope, David plays the same Whitesnake hits he always plays. I don't fault the guy, I get why he does, but he could just do SO much else thats more fulfilling. He's still playing small places in the US. If he ditched the hits, its not like it would affect attendance. He has the ability to play whatever shows he wants. When I saw Whitesnake, the problem was not their performance but their setlist. If he ditched the 1987 album and toured with one of the three ideas above, I'd go in a heartbeat. But without it, I think he's limping along with Whitesnake. The Deep Purple album is a nice idea but honestly wasted in execution. Might as well tour as Deep Purple with Glenn if thats what he's gonna do.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

Jimmy Page was apparently upset that Coverdale used expletives on stage, that's the only reason I've heard.

And @gunsfanoldie, 3 or so years ago I would have agreed with you. But David doesn't sound good anymore. His voice had grown raw and coarse over the last 15 years, but it finally tipped, and isn't sounding good anymore. And tbh, I didn't think Glenn sounded all that great in that video either. It's not surprising, they're like 60 years old....

What was surprising was how good DC sounded on GTTB/FM, and those tours.

And @gunsfanoldie, 3 or so years ago I would have agreed with you. But David doesn't sound good anymore. His voice had grown raw and coarse over the last 15 years, but it finally tipped, and isn't sounding good anymore. And tbh, I didn't think Glenn sounded all that great in that video either. It's not surprising, they're like 60 years old....

Interesting. I didn't actually watch the video above, I just liked that they played that song. I'll take you at your word that Dave doesn't sound great anymore. Wouldn't surprise me, I just haven't heard anything from him since the Forevermore record where he still sounded fine. Saw him live and, again, voice was not the issue. As for Glenn, maybe he doesn't sound good in that video (I don't know), but he can still kill it most times. Every other video I've seen of Glenn recently had him sounding great, especially those Kings Of Chaos shows from about a month ago. If he doesn't sound good in this video, don't judge him by that. It took me till seeing him standing in front of me to be like "holy fuck, who is this godlike creature I've been avoiding oh so long?!"

Jimmy Page was apparently upset that Coverdale used expletives on stage, that's the only reason I've heard.

If that is the case I am not surprised because if you listen to the C/P Japan show bootlegs Coverdale's in between song chatter makes him look like a real ignorant asshole.

If that is the case I am not surprised because if you listen to the C/P Japan show bootlegs Coverdale's in between song chatter makes him look like a real ignorant asshole.

But you hear or read enough interviews with the guy, that's pretty much how he talks. Page would've found this out right away.

I saw WS last night and I have to say they are one of the best rock bands I've ever seen live!

I've waited a long time to see them in concert and it was so worth the wait!

David said amazing. He hit those high notes like it was 1988. the band is so talented. Each one did their solos and they rocked it. The drummer did a solo that just blew everyone away and then threw his sticks away and played about 5 minutes with his hands. My son who is a drummer in a band, had his mouth hanging open. Now I know why he's still in the band. All those other guys were posers. David has gotten some of the most talented musicians around.

WS performed songs from Dave's days with Deep Purple and all the WS hits! The crowd was very pleased indeed.

I think this is one of the best concerts I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of concerts.

For anyone who is seeing them live this year, you're in for a real treat!

I saw WS last night and I have to say they are one of the best rock bands I've ever seen live!

The drummer did a solo that just blew everyone away and then threw his sticks away and played about 5 minutes with his hands. My son who is a drummer in a band, had his mouth hanging open.

Mister Tommy Aldridge

Edited by DR DOOM