Have there been any legendary live performances this century?

GivenToFly

Led Zep at O2 & Pink Floyd at Live 8 because no one thought it would happen.

You're talking about 3 completely different shows - one was career defining, Nirvana was more like a memorial service, and the last was only seen for the first time when the DVD came out. Most performances from 2000 on are going to be televised award shows, sporting events, benefit concerts, Super Bowl halftimes, maybe Idol and some of the other contest shows.

Led Zep at O2 & Pink Floyd at Live 8 because no one thought it would happen.

You're talking about 3 completely different shows - one was career defining, Nirvana was more like a memorial service, and the last was only seen for the first time when the DVD came out. Most performances from 2000 on are going to be televised award shows, sporting events, benefit concerts, Super Bowl halftimes, maybe Idol and some of the other contest shows.

Those were the two that came to mind for me as well. I'd probably also add The Rolling Stones on Copacabana Beach in 2006, just because of the sheer size of that show. The documentary about that gig on the Biggest Bang DVD really put perspective to the magnitude of that gig.

Floyd at Live 8 and Zeppelin at the O2 are by far the biggest

This. Easily.

The only other I can think of is The Stones at Copacabana beach.

But I don't really think there have been any culturally defining live shows. Career-defining, probably. But nothing with any real cultural significance. Live 8 as a whole event maybe.

Live 8 comes to mind but I don't think that event went down as "Legendary". Awesome event but not of the significance of Live Aid.

As far as individual band shows go U2 at Slane Castle in 2001 was pretty amazing

Edited by Bono

Honestly, I don't even know if I'd go as far as calling Maiden at Rock In Rio "legendary". Career defining, absolutely - it's the biggest gig they've ever played. But to me, for a gig to be considered "legendary" it has to be something that transcends the artist's fan base or even the genre; the type of gig that if you went up to a random person on the street and asked them if they had ever heard anything about it, a majority would say "yes".

If any Maiden gig ever could be considered legendary by those standards, I'd say it would either have to be Rock In Rio I (Because of the cultural impact of the first festival), or their run of shows behind the Iron Curtain in 1984 (First Western band allowed into the Eastern Bloc).

Funny how the closest thing to a new artist there's been in this thread is Bjork.

I think the Superbowl show with Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson is probably the most famous live performance of the century (not counting old rockers), but for all the wrong reasons.