Guns N Roses soundcheck/sound guys

Any gifted or bright people know why Axl seems to have the worst sound crew for every show?

I mean every show he's messing with his ear piece or complaining about hearing.

When they do a live show or proshot the audio is screwed up. Either guitars are too loud or vocal audio comes out very flat! Rock Am Ring the guys did awesome, but I'm not even sure GNR handled that. Although at RAR on Paradise City Axl has his ear piece hanging down his shirt, so I guess he sang the song without hearing himself, which makes sense...it was the worst performance of the night.

Anyways Axl has to be the most cursed artist ever. He has more sound issues than anyone else...and this dates back to the early 90's. Not all artist go through this every night. Maybe it's the material being played? With so many instruments going off it might not be easy to keep sound in check. But this is one of the most valuable band names in the world, how do they not have a fix yet?

My solution: Axl shows up to rehearse with soundcheck to make it's to his liking before going in blind (or should I say deaf) at the show.

I think the show quality would improve especially on proshots if Axl could hear himself miss notes.

This isn't even mentioning all the concerts where people cannot hear him.

What makes this so hard to fix?

Lol yeah it's the sound engineers' fault that lazy Axl doesn't show up for soundcheck.

Oh there is plenty of blame for Axl to take but does he have deaf people working for him? I mean who is the guy that test his earpiece? It's usually one of the guitarist I would assume, so basically I guess the process would be the guy with the earpiece is hearing great because they are testing just his audio, but when you throw 8 instruments and pyros in over the top then it becomes difficult to hear. Maybe they should change their approach to soundcheck.

Was it the revolver golden god awards where they were doing the soundcheck before the performance and going through the numbers and Axl would say I can't hear 4, or whatever it was? Took them literally 30 min to start that show. And then the audio was crap.

Bumble usually did the soundcheck vocals but I imagine Axl likes it a certain way. Nearly every show he turns around and waves his arm as if to tell someone the drums are too loud in his mix.

I don't know if showing up to soundcheck is going to fix that issue but I would imagine it would improve Axl's consistency issues.

Doesn't that guy Carem have a lot to do with the live sound?

Edited by MrSoftie

Professional sound guys could fix the problem on the fly. Guaranteed if any other major act had a singer who didn't show up for sundcheck they'd have the problem fixed before the first song ended. I've said it for years and I'm sticking to it, Axl's "technical issues" are intentional to hide the flaws in his singing. He's the master of built in excuses. There's never been a singer with more "technical issues" than Axl Rose. I swear it's intentional. Can't hit the notes or hold the melody no problem, lower the mic levels. Problem solved and now it's somebody else's fault.

• Like 1

I wonder about Axl's hearing though, performing in front of millions, loud speakers behind you when preforming & multiple instruments coming through them. I don't know about you but I've been in loud bars and gone outside and could hardly hear anything for a few minutes.

Professional sound guys could fix the problem on the fly. Guaranteed if any other major act had a singer who didn't show up for sundcheck they'd have the problem fixed before the first song ended. I've said it for years and I'm sticking to it, Axl's "technical issues" are intentional to hide the flaws in his singing. He's the master of built in excuses. There's never been a singer with more "technical issues" than Axl Rose. I swear it's intentional. Can't hit the notes or hold the melody no problem, lower the mic levels. Problem solved and now it's somebody else's fault.

I wonder about Axl's hearing though, performing in front of millions, loud speakers behind you when preforming & multiple instruments coming through them. I don't know about you but I've been in loud bars and gone outside and could hardIly hear anything for a few minutes.

1. Every other artist plays in front of loud speakers

2. Every other artist performs with multiple instruments coming through said speakers

3. We've all been in loud bars where we could hardly hear the person next to us

4. Axl Rose does not perform in front of millions

Edited by Bono
  • Like 2

The constant messing with his ear piece and whatever is on his hip gets annoying during shows. I'd forgive it if he ended up sounded good, but....

Quite. I've literally never seen Bruce Dickinson have a single problem at a single show whether a stadium, festival or club.

All that can be said is, adequate soundchecks do iron out a lot of problems. Axl is too lazy to turn up to soundchecks.

He is too lazy to even show up on time for the show, so soundcheck is a far away thing

Rio 2001 was filled with issues. The golden gods were filled with issues. Most shows in between axl has some sound issue. How many times has CD started out badly because axl cant hear himself or the mic is fucked up?

After 13 years they're still having the same fucking issues.

Its silly... thats the best way to describe it. Silly.

did he even use an ear piece in the 80s or 90s? never really could tell because of the bandana on his ears, I would assume he did tho.

They didn't have in-ear monitors in the early '90's as far as I know dude...

We put a man on the moon in 1969.

Of course we had IEMs in the early 90s.

• Like 1

I wonder about Axl's hearing though, performing in front of millions, loud speakers behind you when preforming & multiple instruments coming through them. I don't know about you but I've been in loud bars and gone outside and could hardIly hear anything for a few minutes.

1. Every other artist plays in front of loud speakers

2. Every other artist performs with multiple instruments coming through said speakers

3. We've all been in loud bars where we could hardly hear the person next to us

4. Axl Rose does not perform in front of millions

4. In his career.

It is just insane. How many artist do you see mess with their sound stuff like Axl does? Like vma 2002 he constantly messes with his earpiece. Axl was at the rehearsal and still on the live show he can't hear himself. (i assume he could't based on all the missed notes)

but then Rock Am Ring 2006 he starts messing with his speaker thing on his hip at the start of Jungle and then starts singing and it's the first time I have seen him look as if the audio was perfect.

I just think this stuff should be fixed early in the show.

Any gifted or bright people know why Axl seems to have the worst sound crew for every show?

I mean every show he's messing with his ear piece or complaining about hearing.

When they do a live show or proshot the audio is screwed up. Either guitars are too loud or vocal audio comes out very flat! Rock Am Ring the guys did awesome, but I'm not even sure GNR handled that. Although at RAR on Paradise City Axl has his ear piece hanging down his shirt, so I guess he sang the song without hearing himself, which makes sense...it was the worst performance of the night.

Anyways Axl has to be the most cursed artist ever. He has more sound issues than anyone else...and this dates back to the early 90's. Not all artist go through this every night. Maybe it's the material being played? With so many instruments going off it might not be easy to keep sound in check. But this is one of the most valuable band names in the world, how do they not have a fix yet?

My solution: Axl shows up to rehearse with soundcheck to make it's to his liking before going in blind (or should I say deaf) at the show.

I think the show quality would improve especially on proshots if Axl could hear himself miss notes.

This isn't even mentioning all the concerts where people cannot hear him.

What makes this so hard to fix?

There are lots of variables that go into a good mix. Multiple channels for 3 guitar players, channels for vocals, channels for keyboard sounds, etc. I believe that Caram was doing the mixing at the Vegas 2014 shows- if not, he was there at the mixing board. I saw Beta and a guy who looked like Fernando hanging out around there, too, so maybe Team Brazil is now in charge of mixing?

Vegas actually had good sound. Axl never really complained, it all seemed to go smooth. I guess it helps when you are at one stage and one location for 2 weeks, but yea I've seen Beta standing behind the control boards for a few shows. In Lubbock the audio was amazing and Axl never complained or messed with his earpiece or thing on his hip.

It seems to be the big shows, like festivals and tv aired shows where the audio is killing Axl. This issue should have been addressed years ago.