Worst Airport You've Been In

Facekicker

Atlanta, Georgia

Like landing in fucking ghetto. Every single person I had to interact with seemed to be possessed by the spirit of a sassy fat black woman

A lot of them were sassy fat black women to be fair.

Nobody seemed to be capable of speaking English like a professional. Had people from TSA saying things like - "Yo Put yo' bag on da conveyor an' proceed through da gate, hooray for tolerance! what 'chew trippin foo'"

It was fuckin' bizarre.

Atlanta, Georgia

Like landing in fucking ghetto. Every single person I had to interact with seemed to be possessed by the spirit of a sassy fat black woman

Nobody seemed to be capable of speaking English like a professional. Had people from TSA saying things like - "Yo Put yo' bag on da conveyor an' proceed through da gate, hooray for tolerance! what 'chew trippin foo'"

It was fuckin' bizarre.

never been to the airport but me and my dad had to get some tires in atlanta once and it was pretty similar :lol:

• Like 1

Dalaman airport in Turkey seemed cold and clinical, there's something about military usage there so it makes sense the security was higher than most airports, it was also 2002 so tensions were already high but I went to america two months after the twin towers and it was nowhere near the brooding intensity I got from Dalaman, everyone was joyless and paranoid working there it seemed. Also flight out was a 2am one and it already took two hours on the coach through the damn midnight mountains to get there, I enjoy mountains and darkness but not when the driver seems in a hurry to skirt around every corner like it's a chance to zoom off into fucking oblivion! It's quite cool landing there though as you go over this expanse of water so damn low the plane's almost surfing.

Probably Laguardia in New York. There is nothing particularly wrong with it but its just old. But even still I kinda like it. I cant say I have ever been to a bad airport. They all have their flaws and charm.

I forget the name of the airport but the one in Instanbul was really......... serious. It is the only time I ever felt like I cold get denied access into a country and there was no reason for it other than their sketchy vibe at customs.

Edited by Bono

When I was a kid Isfahan airport was pretty rubbish. Didn't even have X-ray machines until like 2006, had to open your luggage when you arrived (worsened by the fact that Iranians are the polar opposite to the English when it comes to queueing). Now it's just a little dull, nothing horrible, though. Conversely, road stops can be great between Tehran and Isfahan, same with buses vs planes; you can get great bus seats with comfortable reclining chairs for cheap in Iran, but the planes are these old Russian jobs that are thousands of hours overdue a service.

Atlanta, Georgia

It was fuckin' bizarre.

I've flown through Atlanta many times, never got that vibe at all. Mind you I'm not saying it's the nicest airport I've been to, but far from the worst.

LAX, easily. JFK sucks too.

O'Hare in Chicago and Sky Harbor International in Phoenix are the nicest.

O'Hare is nice, but a pain to get anywhere outside of the same terminal for a connecting flight. Sky Harbor is great, definitely one of my favorites.

Don't think I can pick a single least favorite, but here's a list of some of mine:

LAX

Rome Fiumicino

Stockholm Skavsta (So small they don't know how to be efficient - the terminal is literally a fucking barn)

Amsterdam Schipol

London Gatwick

Dubai was a bad experience it's meant to be aces. It just didn't work on that day. All the toilets had queues. There was a mall, nowhere to sit, it was just packed full of people shopping. I remember a fountain and champagne bar being cool. But that was the only option to get a seat and the flight was delayed.

• Like 1

Toss up between Goa, India and Antigua. Goa because there was absolutely no order and everyone was super pushy in line. Antigua because it is absolutely not built to support the number of traveler it receives on a daily basis. There are often two hour lineups to get into the airport and through security.

Zimbabwe, arrived very tired & had to catch a bus to the hotel while jetlagged. As we were going to Sth Africa and presumably because we were white (apartheid was still in then) the man at the counter went very slowly, even when asked if he could put us through as a group to catch our bus. Then leaving for Sth Africa these big men turned up with a suitcase while we were on the tarmac & hauled one of the guys off - we refused to get on the plane until he returned. He had bought golf balls for his Uncle cheap & lined them around his case so to them they looked like explosives.

Coming home it was crowded, hot & big men with guns walking around to keep us in line. As there was only one flight out per week we did as we were told, last place you'd want to spend a week in was Zimbabwe back then. They were unco-operative but things might have changed over the years.

Luton: the queue to get through passport control there is ridiculous and is made worse by the incompetence of the staff who are liable to close one of the queues without warning causing chaos as the people waiting have to try and join a different queue. One time I was waiting there and a woman in the Non-EU queue seemed to have something wrong with her passport, the moron on the desk didnt have a clue what to do so called the guys on the EU desks to help, all 3 of them got up to help leaving the desk unattended for 20 minutes or so while the queue kept building and building..... :facepalm:

Kai-Tak was a terrible airport but at the same time was the most fun :)

Uhm, really didn't like the first times getting into LAX and JFK. I had no idea how to get from one terminal at LAX to another, which was stressful.

As for commodities and amenities, I think Zakynthos and a couple of airports in Iran come out the worst, although I can't say I remember them as really bad. No bad memories, really.

Here's a fun page for this topic that I have read intermittently for many years now: http://www.sleepinginairports.net/2014/worst-airports.htm

Actually Egypt arrivals from foreign lands was brutal. Zero passport control. I thought we were going to get driven into sand and executed by the taxi drivers. It was like a bomb hit that area of the airport. Strangely the internal airport was futuristic bliss.

Heathrow too. It's like Iraqi arrivals. The carpet looks like it got pissed on in the 70s and they just left it.

• Like 1

I have to say that Shannon airport is the funniest.

Security is usually a nearly retired cop who barely glances at your passport and just waves you through as if to say "Yeah grand you look Irish I couldn't be arsed lookin at your passport I just want to go to the pub and grab a pint." :lol:

Coming back from the states once there was no security at all :lol: All the Irish on the flight just walked through security laughing while all the yanks stood around looking confused until someone shouted - "Just head on through lads, you're American nobody gives a shit we just want your money like"

Cue a bunch of American students going - "Oh my gawd Oireland is aweesooome!" :lol:

• Like 2

Actually Egypt arrivals from foreign lands was brutal. Zero passport control. I thought we were going to get driven into sand and executed by the taxi drivers. It was like a bomb hit that area of the airport. Strangely the internal airport was futuristic bliss.

Heathrow too. It's like Iraqi arrivals. The carpet looks like it got pissed on in the 70s and they just left it.

I've only had one arrival in Heathrow, but it was pretty dingy. Efficient, but dingy.