MYGNRFORUM - A NON-PROFIT FAN FORUM

downzy

I don't know much about the finances of the forum and how much subscriptions can possibly bring in, but is it really realistic to expect a stream of revenue large enough to 1) recoup that $3000 2) pay for forum expenses and 3) create giveaways for the fans? Am I not getting something? That seems wild to me.

Edited by Jakey Styley

I don't know much about the finances of the forum and how much subscriptions can possibly bring in, but is it really realistic to expect a stream of revenue large enough to 1) recoup that $3000 2) pay for forum expenses and 3) create giveaways for the fans? Am I not getting something? That seems wild to me.

google ads bro

The quick answer to all three of your questions is yes.

Further elaboration:

a) as I mentioned, I don't plan on paying myself back for a very long time (I figure over a three year period);

b) we're making efforts to drastically reduce forum operating costs;

c) there will be money for giveaways due to increased advertising revenue as we will implement efforts to improve site traffic.

So this exclusive members lounge is for free or one has to pay to get in to?

I hope you recover your money because you paid a big amount and I guess the forum before was having problems in getting money from Ads etc etc

Another questions I wanted to ask for example if the Prize is a tshirt and I guess you live in America and if the other person is staying in Australia or Japan or Antarctica, so you will even pay for the shipping fee?

Thats what I was thinking. It's like before the forum was a cash burning furnace and now all of a sudden it's myberkshirehathawayforum.com.

Thats what I was thinking. It's like before the forum was a cash burning furnace and now all of a sudden it's myberkshirehathawayforum.com.

Have you not seen a picture of Downzy IRL?

This is basically what he looks like:

warren_buffett.top.jpg

• Like 1

Much of the focus of previous owners/administration (with a few exceptions - HV in particular) prior to me taking over as owner was on maximizing revenue through supporter programs and ad revenues. And while we're going to continue down that track, one thing that was at times neglected previously was the cost of operations. I've already changed our hosting plan to align the forum's current usage with operating costs. Currently we're near a break even point when it comes to ad revenue and site costs (around $120 US a month). We will continue to lower costs by seeking third-party hosting options that should help both lowering operating costs while putting the forum in a good spot when the band picks up again and fan interest is renewed. There is potential for advertising revenue through Google Adsense to reach $400 - $500 and higher. We're also making plans to obtain direct advertising and cutting Google out altogether, but that's something for further down the road.

So yes, there were cash flow issues previously (largely due to the forum's Adsense account being suspended for a prolonged period and not aligning operating costs with current visitor usage) but we're making great efforts to change things dramatically. Combine these efforts with improving the forum's visibility and SEO and I think this forum has the potential to yield a nice return. Moreover, I think forum profits directed toward promoting the community and contributing to fan experiences than going directly into my pocket. While I certainly could use the money, I'd rather see a vibrant GNR online fan community. I've been apart of this community for more than half my life (nearly 20 years). It's time that someone takes charge and puts fans first. I think this is the place to do it.

Awesome plans

This is why Downzy took over. It secured the long terms future of mygnrforum -- and from what I hear, a fantastic opportunity for expansion.

Good news for all concerned -- It has my vote :)

Down with the demented admin!

#bully

Money is still publicly linked to the forum. We still have member and non member scenarios

Allow everything for everyone and be done with it.

Sponge the cost, and allow private donations.

That was the model that ran for many years and it didn't work. Moreover, with this now being a non-profit forum, how would proceeds be distributed? Should those who donated receive better odds at contests and giveaways? Should someone who donates $100 receive more chances to win than someone who donates $5? And let's say we are, at some point, are able to secure some form of lucrative third-party advertising and we all decide to pay ourselves rather than fund various fan ventures? How do we determine who gets what?

Donations were essential to the survival of this forum prior to me becoming owner. They no longer are needed as we have made, and will continue to make, efforts to bring costs inline with usage and revenues.

The point of a one-time flat membership fee is so that those who want a deeper and more extensive experience at the forum are all treated as equals. Allowing for differentiation of support based on donation amounts is not a path I want to pursue.

Fair to disagree, but this will be the modus operandi going forward.

Money is still publicly linked to the forum. We still have member and non member scenarios

That was the model that ran for many years and it didn't work. Moreover, with this now being a non-profit forum, how would proceeds be distributed? Should those who donated receive better odds at contests and giveaways? Should someone who donates $100 receive more chances to win than someone who donates $5? And let's say we are, at some point, are able to secure some form of lucrative third-party advertising and we all decide to pay ourselves rather than fund various fan ventures? How do we determine who gets what?

Donations were essential to the survival of this forum prior to me becoming owner. They no longer are needed as we have made, and will continue to make, efforts to bring costs inline with usage and revenues.

The point of a one-time flat membership fee is so that those who want a deeper and more extensive experience at the forum are all treated as equals. Allowing for differentiation of support based on donation amounts is not a path I want to pursue.

It is better. I can see you have equalised the members, that will help a great deal if you want to go down that road

I see a simpler way forward. Set up a paypal for -anonymous- donations, and get rid of all this paid membership hoohaa completely. People that have paid historically are not going to have to pay with your new idea, so how much are you going to make, realistically; is it worth the work or hassle? I say, trust in the decency of people.

If you are wanting competition prizes, bring people to the site with great ideas, then contact radio stations, the band, the band members etc.. who I am sure will be happy to give away stuff if you do something for them. Get someone on the forum to do some marketing.

We are not wanting to be a year down the road, something bad happens, all of a sudden you are needing your money back from the forum, your membership thing has not worked etc.. All of a sudden everything goes pear shaped again etc..

At the end of the day, it is a forum and it has to be fun for you to run, so the simpler it all is, the better. Alot of older members still read here, but do not post because of the way the forum has changed in recent times. The new members though are fair and fine, you just have to get to know them. Is there a way you can integrate old and new? I vaguely read your museum idea, and I believe that would be one great road to go down. But, the forum has to be free and equal with no division, apart from the banter on the forum, of course.

I get that I tend to post in a forthright manner like a Spanish Inquisition party. All it is though is food for thought in a Jiminy Cricket kind of way. You know what I'm like :)

I wish you good luck though.

Edited by Mysteron

It is better. I can see you have equalised the members, that will help a great deal if you want to go down that road

I see a simpler way forward. Set up a paypal for -anonymous- donations, and get rid of all this paid membership hoohaa completely. People that have paid historically are not going to have to pay with your new idea, so how much are you going to make, realistically; is it worth the work or hassle? I say, trust in the decency of people.

If you are wanting competition prizes, bring people to the site with great ideas, then contact radio stations, the band, the band members etc.. who I am sure will be happy to give away stuff if you do something for them. Get someone on the forum to do some marketing.

We are not wanting to be a year down the road, something bad happens, all of a sudden you are needing your money back from the forum, your membership thing has not worked etc.. All of a sudden everything goes pear shaped again etc..

At the end of the day, it is a forum and it has to be fun for you to run, so the simpler it all is, the better. Alot of older members still read here, but do not post because of the way the forum has changed in recent times. The new members though are fair and fine, you just have to get to know them. Is there a way you can integrate old and new? I vaguely read your museum idea, and I believe that would be one great road to go down. But, the forum has to be free and equal with no division, apart from the banter on the forum, of course.

I get that I tend to post in a forthright manner like a Spanish Inquisition party. All it is though is food for thought in a Jiminy Cricket kind of way. You know what I'm like :)

Thanks for your feedback. I asked for all suggestions and criticsms so no worries about being upfront with your opinions.

Personally, I don't see the plan we put forward as something that requires a tremendous amount of work. So I'm not too concerned on that front.

In terms of getting greater participation with the band, that's an unlikely proposition considering the band has its own forum and fan club. I've reached out as the new owner to the band and its management with ideas on how to better the fan experience and have been given the cold shoulder. I'd love for contributions, but as it stands now, it doesn't look likely no matter how attractive I make it for the band.

While I understand concerns relating to cash flow, I can guarantee that many of the problems that threatened the survival of this forum previously have been overcome. When I became a mod and later an admin, Subs charged me with formulating a plan for putting the forum on a better footing. I did that, however, I came to the realization that it would take a lot of work and I wasn't sure i wanted to put that kind of commitment in without being the owner. Since purchasing the forum, the team and myself have been making the necessary changes to put money issues behind us. As a result, this forum will never depend on the charity of others for its survival.

The membership idea is based on the notion that some visitors on this forum want to be involved in both the fan experience and the business of this forum to a greater level than others. The members lounge attempts to deepen, but not broaden, access to this forum and being a GNR fan. If a visitor has no interest in contributing to a MYGNR cover or contributing questions to upcoming interviews or included in the contests, they'll still have access to all areas of discussion, which is the most important product this forum offers. Moreover, and feel free to disagree, I believe the most active posters (i.e. Those most likely to sign up) should get more in return for their contributions to the forum than those who only lurk and post very little. This is why I think buying into the program is an important component of what we're trying to do here. Just as there are casual and hardcore GNR fans, there are also casual and hardcore forum users. For the hardcore faithful, we offer a deeper experience and a cut of the forum profits through contests and activities that I think is worth the token financial contribution.

Anyway, I don't expect everyone to initially support this plan, as I accept the fact that it may not be for everyone. But I believe it's the right call based on my reading of what this forum can and should be. Ultimately I want this to serve as the fan club fans have long deserved but have never received. It will be fan driven where all the benefits will be returned to the fans.

• Like 2

Thanks for your feedback. I asked for all suggestions and criticsms so no worries about being upfront with your opinions.

Personally, I don't see the plan we put forward as something that requires a tremendous amount of work. So I'm not too concerned on that front.

In terms of getting greater participation with the band, that's an unlikely proposition considering the band has its own forum and fan club. I've reached out as the new owner to the band and its management with ideas on how to better the fan experience and have been given the cold shoulder. I'd love for contributions, but as it stands now, it doesn't look likely no matter how attractive I make it for the band.

While I understand concerns relating to cash flow, I can guarantee that many of the problems that threatened the survival of this forum previously have been overcome. When I became a mod and later an admin, Subs charged me with formulating a plan for putting the forum on a better footing. I did that, however, I came to the realization that it would take a lot of work and I wasn't sure i wanted to put that kind of commitment in without being the owner. Since purchasing the forum, the team and myself have been making the necessary changes to put money issues behind us. As a result, this forum will never depend on the charity of others for its survival.

The membership idea is based on the notion that some visitors on this forum want to be involved in both the fan experience and the business of this forum to a greater level than others. The members lounge attempts to deepen, but not broaden, access to this forum and being a GNR fan. If a visitor has no interest in contributing to a MYGNR cover or contributing questions to upcoming interviews or included in the contests, they'll still have access to all areas of discussion, which is the most important product this forum offers. Moreover, and feel free to disagree, I believe the most active posters (i.e. Those most likely to sign up) should get more in return for their contributions to the forum than those who only lurk and post very little. This is why I think buying into the program is an important component of what we're trying to do here. Just as there are casual and hardcore GNR fans, there are also casual and hardcore forum users. For the hardcore faithful, we offer a deeper experience and a cut of the forum profits through contests and activities that I think is worth the token financial contribution.

Anyway, I don't expect everyone to initially support this plan, as I accept the fact that it may not be for everyone. But I believe it's the right call based on my reading of what this forum cand and should be. Ultimately I want this to serve as the fan club fans have long deserved but have never received. It will be fan driven where all the benefits will be returned to the fans.

The great thing is, you can experiment with your idea for a while and see what comes of it No harm can come from it at all

I think the main thing is, don't be worried about changing ideas as you go. They key thing is to make sure you are enjoying what you are doing

Anyway, I don't expect everyone to initially support this plan, as I accept the fact that it may not be for everyone. But I believe it's the right call based on my reading of what this forum cand and should be. Ultimately I want this to serve as the fan club fans have long deserved but have never received. It will be fan driven where all the benefits will be returned to the fans.

The great thing is, you can experiment with your idea for a while and see what comes of it No harm can come from it at all

I think the main thing is, don't be worried about changing ideas as you go. They key thing is to make sure you are enjoying what you are doing

Agreed, however, those who sign up for memberships will always be taken care of, regardless of changes made in the future. There will always be a certain level of permanency with the members lounge, so those who sign up don't need to worry about it being replaced with something else or dismantled down the road.

And I like to think that I'm not so close-minded and stubborn that I won't make changes if something proves to be unpopular and not working. Besides the financial spoils, I want members to share in having a greater say on how the forum works. If no one is happy with how something is being run here, then I'm not going to be happy either.

Ultimately this place shouldn't be taken too seriously as it's not meant to function as some hallowed and sacred institution.