Doug Goldstein Interview with Mitch Lafon

Black Star Riders’ Damon Johnson and former Guns N’ Roses manager Doug Goldstein join Mitch Lafon in celebrating 100 episodes of One On One With Mitch Lafon. The episode is co-hosted by Talking Metal's Mark Strigl.

“Our first interview is with guitarist extraordinaire, Damon Johnson who discusses Black Star Riders, the decision to not use the well established Thin Lizzy brand name, their fantastic second album The Killer Instinct, their upcoming UK tour opening for Whitesnake and Def Leppard, the Damon Johnson Trio, his upcoming solo dates, working with Alice Cooper, his work on the the unreleased third Damn Yankees album called Bravo (he replaced Tommy Shaw to work alongside Jack Blades and Ted Nugent), and more.

“In our second interview with sit down with former Guns N’ Roses manager Doug Goldstein (current CEO When Pigs Fly) for an epic two hour chat discussing the entire history of the band including the feuds, lawsuits and riots. More specifically we talk about Axl Rose becoming the sole owner of the GNR name, the firing of Steve Adler, working with KISS' Paul Stanley and Bob Ezrin, the Montreal Riot and why it was Metallica's Lars Ulrich's fault, the 2 1/2 years of documented yet unreleased Use Your Illusion Tour film, Yoda aka Sharon Maynard, Iron Maiden's manager Rod Smallwood (and his potential involvement in a GNR reunion tour), controversial songs One In A Million and Look At Your Game Girl, working with Black Sabbath featuring Glenn Hughes and current KISS drummer Eric Singer, the Rose Festival featuring Van Halen and Guns N Roses, his letter to Axl, the 'Denver Incident', John Reese, are there 100 unreleased songs sitting in a vault , Slash, Duff and much, much more.”

Found this article about rock & roll bodyguards from the late 80s. Did he sound like a macho jock though?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/stand-by-me-19890406

"A security person that parties loses a lot of credibility," says teetotaler Doug Goldstein, a former guard for numerous hard-rock acts, including Black Sabbath. "People who get caught up in those vices don't last very long."
Goldstein, the cocky, twenty-seven-year-old son of a San Diego cop, left the bodyguard business recently to comanage Guns n' Roses, but he still holds fond memories of his knockabout days in the trade. A macho jock in high school who looks more like a soap-opera hunk than an incredible hulk, Goldstein landed his first major job with the schmaltzy pop group Air Supply, telling grandmotherly types to "pull the thorns off the roses before throwing them onstage." Goldstein, however, has less-than-fond memories of a brief stint with the Rolling Stones.
"That [1981] Stones tour was a son of a bitch," Goldstein says, fiddling with a silver ring shaped like a great white shark. He recalls one girl who stuck a metal hook through his shoulder, leading him to grab her head and twist it "in kind of an Exorcist position" until the police arrested her.
"Women will fuck with you," he says. "If you're trying to throw their boyfriend out, they'll bite you in the back. Shit like that goes on all the time."
Doug Goldstein once successfully kept Black Sabbath's Glenn Hughes away from nasty influences and, more recently, helped deter drug dealers from hanging around Guns n' Roses. Goldstein now hires security to safeguard the Gunners from overzealous fans, but he points out that often it's the public that needs to be rescued from the artists.
"We have to protect people from the band. Abso-fucking-lutely," he says. "You get situations, particularly with Slash, when he's intoxicated. He likes to have fun, and he'll go after people. He'll get in their face, and he's a strong person."

Doug/Mitch speculate that Fortus has left GNR because of a Dead Dasies tour. That's the kind of insight they provide into the current line-up.

"I just read on some website"

-edit-

The other stuff is interesting though, but it's difficult to know what's fact and which parts are just Doug's ego talking.

They do mention MYGNR though at the end.

Edited by AtariLegend

-

- Mitch says he's heard Axl has fired the entire new line-up.... Doug says he's heard Fernando Lebeis released a DVD without Axl's authorization and Axl got pissed off and let everybody go (?).

Not the first time this has been mentioned. I agree that they don't know how to handle the fans very well, but they do keep the wheel turning, inside Axl's terms, it seems. Makes me wonder if Ron was full of shit when he said TB is the problem with GNR and not Axl.

Listened to the interview, extremely interesting throughout. Kudos to Goldstein, the interview is two hours long and he answered every question. I thought he was pretty fair, in that he was able to criticize Axl for certain things, but defended him for a lot of different stuff, trying to explain where Axl was coming from, etc.

Took a lot of shots at Alan Niven - guess Axl and Niven never got along but Slash wanted him out as well.

Not a lot of mind-blowing new info, but some interesting stories and generally candid answers. Worth checking out.

• Like 2

Could you imagine Axl so mad that he fires everyone! That is insane. I just see Axl hearing about a dvd, finding out who authorized it and going off on Fernando. Fernando probably left went to Beta and said "Axl got mad at me. Will you go talk to him?" In which she does and he gets more mad and tells everyone to leave. Sends out a group text to everyone saying "Thanks for F'ing up. Since nobody wants to tell me anything n my own band, you can all leave. I'm done with every1! YoU ALL HAD ONE JOB N'D U F'D UP!"

a day later everything is likely back to normal. but in that brief moment of Axl losing it...that would be some scary stuff.

I will be shocked if Axl does not respond to these recent stories about Micheal Jackson and stuff. There has to be something said on his end. The story has gotten alot of print lately.

It really did she'd some light on the whole situation. The main thing seems to be people who take the manic depressive behaviour as just being an asshole. But it's also funny how uninvolved Axl was. He was just protecting himself from the sharks. Once the friendships break down its every pirate for himself!