Roger Waters-Amused To Death: Remix/Remaster - 07/24/15

RussTCB

I only got to listen to the CD yesterday but I immedately noticed that a lot of things were not just remixed or remastered, but re-recorded as well. That came as a surprise to me.

Any significant differences?

I only got to listen to it once through, but there were two things that stood out. One wasn't a big deal and the other was.

One is a change in the dialog under the piano at the beginning Perfect Sense Part I. It's now the Space Odyssey dialog that Waters wanted there in the first place instead of his own voice played backwards. That actually reminded me of another small difference; there's a little more to Marv Albert's color call of the war in Perfect Sense Part II. Very small differences/additions, but they are there.

There's a ton of differences and re-records all throughout The Bravery of Being Out Of Range right from the start. It gets more aggressive as the song goes on and there's even a solo of sorts now where there should've been before.

Safe to say there was no lip syncing going on...

Bravery of Being Out of Range

Amused to Death

I think he did this at the tribute concert for Levon Helm

Keeping with the spirit of Dylan plugging in at Newport 50 years ago (...careful with that axe, Seeger)

Edited by dalsh327
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Aside from sounding amazing in terms of mixing etc, the re-recorded parts on this still sort of throw me off balance. I know this album too well, so it sounds odd sometimes. I'm not sure I like that. The little changes of emphasis of both the music and vocals sound a little wrong because they're not what I'm expecting. That bugs me more than it should.

• Like 1

Aside from sounding amazing in terms of mixing etc, the re-recorded parts on this still sort of throw me off balance. I know this album too well, so it sounds odd sometimes. I'm not sure I like that. The little changes of emphasis of both the music and vocals sound a little wrong because they're not what I'm expecting. That bugs me more than it should.

The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range is the only one that still hits me that way. I was listening to the CD while driving around the other day and just skipped that song because the difference are so huge. I'm good with all the other changes mostly because I was used to the live versions from around 1999 on. That one song is still very jarring to me though and I doubt I'll ever get used to it.

• Like 1

The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range is the only one that still hits me that way. I was listening to the CD while driving around the other day and just skipped that song because the difference are so huge. I'm good with all the other changes mostly because I was used to the live versions from around 1999 on. That one song is still very jarring to me though and I doubt I'll ever get used to it.

For me it's the details on Perfect Sense. It's my favourite Roger solo track. Every tiny detail about that is in my head. So even the slightest thing ticks me off. ;)

For me it's the details on Perfect Sense. It's my favourite Roger solo track. Every tiny detail about that is in my head. So even the slightest thing ticks me off. ;)

I hear ya. The only differences I can think of off the top of my head between PS I & II are the dialog change at the beginning of I and the extended/added Albert commentary in II. There's probably more, but like I said, I'm just thinking off the top of my head. I was jarred by those changes back when I saw him in '99 but then they were like that on the live album too, so I ended up getting used to it I think.

I totally get what you mean though. It's just odd to have something you know so well be so different after 2 decades of hearing it the original way.

• 10 months later...

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump!

Having recently set up my surround system, I busted out the 5.1 mix of this just now. I'm on The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range right now with the intent to listen to it straight through. 

REALLY impressed with the mix on this. There's a LOT more information in all channels than the stereo mix had. I can't tell if it's all stuff that was buried on the stereo mix or if it's new sounds and instruments just for this mix. Either way, it sounds really cool and the new stuff I'm hearing doesn't sound out of place at all.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2016 at 4:03 AM, Wagszilla said:

I had never listened to this before but did so because of the bump.

I liked it. Very Roger Waters. 

Glad you took a listen. Yeah, it's VERY Roger Waters. I'm weird with his solo material. I don't like Pros & Cons at all, but I love Radio KAOS and I love ATD even more than that. I consider ATD to be one of the best Pink Floyd albums and it's not even a Pink Floyd album.

On 16/08/2016 at 0:36 PM, RussTCB said:

Glad you took a listen. Yeah, it's VERY Roger Waters. I consider ATD to be one of the best Pink Floyd albums and it's not even a Pink Floyd album.

Just amazing it really is. I would love to listen the 5.1 mixes, I'm adding it on my bucketlist for sure. On ATD I think lyrically its timeless. I've got chills everytime during Bravery but my favourite track is Three Wishes.

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 1