Abandoning MP3s to jump to Spotify

Estranged Reality

Is anyone else having trouble getting rid of their old MP3 collections in favor of the jump to streaming apps like Spotify?

I feel like any track I'd ever want is now at my fingertips, and all the hard work I put in amassing a library over the years is sort of gone to shit. But I don't really want to abandon all that hard work - there's still a sort of pride I take in my personal archive - which is restricting me from making the full leap to Spotify, even though I love the ability to stream anything I'd want.

I like Google Music because it allows you to upload your own tracks, but the interface isn't as sexy as Spotify, nor does it have as many users (I like Spotify's share-with-friends function, for example).

I use Google Music, and for me it's the best of both worlds. I can use my own collection of music mixed with songs from Google. My data allowance per month is limited, so being able to mix both is great for me.

I've never used spotify so I can't comment on the interface, but GM is fine for me.

I will never use a streaming service as my primary source of music. A few reasons, mainly, I just don't like the idea. I like having my music on my PC so that I can move it easily, and edit it if need be. And I think Spotify at least has ads :shrugs: .

And I seriously doubt that I could find every band I listen to on Spotify. A lot of the minor NWOBHM bands are not on Spotify.

Who knows how long Spotify will last? It could go under next month so I go the mp3 route.

I have long since gotten rid of most of my physical music and have transferred it over to an external hard drive. I am completely filled up on my 3tb drive with music. Buying a new 5tb drive in a few weeks

Edited by Sixes

Who knows how long Spotify will last? It could go under next month so I go the mp3 route.

I have long since gotten rid of most of my physical music and have transferred it over to an external hard drive. I am completely filled up on my 3tb drive with music. Buying a new 5tb drive in a few weeks

Christ, I have just over 100GB..... and I thought that was a lot... :lol:

• Like 1

Spotify is the greatest that has happened for my music listening. I wouldn't be listening to half the artistsI am today if it wasn't for spotify. I don't even remember when I last downloaded an MP3. I'm gladly paying for it.

Same. I don't think Spotify is going anywhere. Tidal will end up being too expensive and Apple couldn't get beats right the first time, what makes us think they can again? Even if Spotify eventually goes down, streaming will not. it's showing growth across the board.

Simply put there has never been an easier way to access so much music at once. I agree that it has opened up my exposure to bands more than any other form of music in history. I fully support anyone getting on board with it.

• Like 1

I use it here and there but doubt I will ever be 100% streaming. I just like actually having my music and able to do what I please with it. The streaming stuff is cool and I see why lots of people like it. But it's kind of a borrowing type of thing. I love my music, I don't want to borrow it I want to have it.

Plus, if people can wake up one day and have an album loaded onto their ipod that they didn't even want or try to get, I guess anything can happen. Like wake up one day and shit just disappeared over night.

I use it here and there but doubt I will ever be 100% streaming. I just like actually having my music and able to do what I please with it. The streaming stuff is cool and I see why lots of people like it. But it's kind of a borrowing type of thing. I love my music, I don't want to borrow it I want to have it.

I do that. I use spotify for listening and finding new music, whenever I've listened to an album enough and feels it's worth buying I buy it on CD for my car and importing it on my computer as well. I'm not 100% streaming but it's probably close to 70-80% of my music listening (when I'm not driving).

It's also a great way to make playlists without having to download lots of mp3s from different artists. Plus when I go to a party tonight I'll log on to my Spotify account and I'll be able to play any of my playlists, have others add songs to my playlists if I find it good and anyone can stream whatever they want.

I've been using Spotify for 6 years now and I don't see it closing down anytime soon, if it does I'm sure there will be just as good alternatives but that's a long time from now.

Edited by CheapJon
  • Like 1