Replacing Axl???

Just a random thought. Say Axl quit and pulled an izzy in say 1990. Afew years after appetite while they were huge. Do you think there is anyone on this planet that they (izzy duff slash insert drummer) could have realistically replaced Axl with and continued on with gnr at tht time? Or would that have been impossible after Appetite?

Just a random thought. Say Axl quit and pulled an izzy in say 1990. Afew years after appetite while they were huge. Do you think there is anyone on this planet that they (izzy duff slash insert drummer) could have realistically replaced Axl with and continued on with gnr at tht time? Or would that have been impossible after Appetite?

Why couldn't the band have survived with another singer? They were extremely popular at the time.

Plugging in Andrew Wood (before he died in 90), Mike Patton, Scott Weiland, Sebastian Bach or even a Lane Staley would have been choices that could have been hugely successful.

They wanted to fire him a couple times, but I think it was Slash that said he was too good and they wouldn't find anyone better so they just put up with him.

Nobody at that time could have replaced Axl. The band would have died. Only women can hit the notes Axl was hitting at that time.

They wanted to fire him a couple times, but I think it was Slash that said he was too good and they wouldn't find anyone better so they just put up with him.

Nobody at that time could have replaced Axl. The band would have died. Only women can hit the notes Axl was hitting at that time.

Yet somehow, hundreds of other bands were successful over the past 25 years.

But you think that - at their height of popularity - a band with Slash, Duff, Izzy and (Wood, Bach, Weiland, Patton) would have failed? STP had two huge albums in the 90s. And Weiland had a huge album with Slash/Duff in the 00s. But in 1990, you think that band would have failed? Wow.

Nope. I think that the singer is the hardest thing to replace and rarely is it successful.

Bands have done it, Van Halen, Alice in Chains, AC/DC, among others... The issue is you have to find someone similar but better than the original. I don't think you could find someone better than Axl in his prime who sounded similar.

Nope. I think that the singer is the hardest thing to replace and rarely is it successful.

Bands have done it, Van Halen, Alice in Chains, AC/DC, among others... The issue is you have to find someone similar but better than the original. I don't think you could find someone better than Axl in his prime who sounded similar.

Slash , Duff, Sorum and Weilamd sort of proved your point wrong.

STP had two monster albums in the 90s. You think Weiland and the STP boys and Bach with Skid Row were more successful than if they would have teamed up with Slash, duff, izzy and Sorum? That's just crazy talk.

Have you heard Wood or Patton sing? I would kill for a slash/duff/izzy album with Wood or Patton on vocals in 1990.

Joke topic... Axl is Guns N' Roses. Not only was he the voice of Guns, He was the main songwriter. If he got fired all attention would've followed him and where he went. He would be considered innocent to the public and not carry the burdens he does now. Hell it might've helped his career. No longer painted as the bully who stole the Guns name.

Patton, fucking joke lol let me make some animal fart sounds in this mic and impress the kiddies, works everytime.

Nope. You can't have GnR without Axl. The same way you can't have them without Slash. They were too big and too far inot their career to suddenly switch singers. It would be like U2 without Bono, Stones without Mick, Zeppelin without Plant etc etc. No Axl means no GnR. If people didn't accept Motley Crue without Vince there's no fucking way people would have accepted GnR without Axl.

STP had two monster albums in the 90s. You think Weiland and the STP boys and Bach with Skid Row were more successful than if they would have teamed up with Slash, duff, izzy and Sorum? That's just crazy talk.

Have you heard Wood or Patton sing? I would kill for a slash/duff/izzy album with Wood or Patton on vocals in 1990.

I'm not sure VR answers the question completely. It would be completely different if they tried to do VR (or gnr without axl) in 1990 then when they did it. Axl was still popular as hell and hadn't begun to get all the negativity he accumulated over the years. When VR was successful People had already moved on from Axl they remembered him as this legendary figure but he wasn't at the forefront of music like in 1990.

I'm not sure VR answers the question completely. It would be completely different if they tried to do VR (or gnr without axl) in 1990 then when they did it. Axl was still popular as hell and hadn't begun to get all the negativity he accumulated over the years. When VR was successful People had already moved on from Axl they remembered him as this legendary figure but he wasn't at the forefront of music like in 1990.

Exactly. First of all they were called Velvet Revolver. Secondly it took place basically 10 years after GnR had finished. There's no way the VR situation is even remotely comparable to a situation where say in 1993 GnR got rid of Axl and carried on with some new singer calling themselves GnR. It would've been a complete joke. Just like GnR without Slash is a complete joke.

Yet somehow, hundreds of other bands were successful over the past 25 years.

But you think that - at their height of popularity - a band with Slash, Duff, Izzy and (Wood, Bach, Weiland, Patton) would have failed? STP had two huge albums in the 90s. And Weiland had a huge album with Slash/Duff in the 00s. But in 1990, you think that band would have failed? Wow.

Haha it's not about what other bands did or successful artist. It's about who could properly replace Axl. There are very few singers that can do GNR songs justice, while maintaining the bands popularity and fame.

Axl is the voice of GNR. You can replicate what Slash does on guitar but trying to replace a singer is just about impossible.

And yes the band would have failed sooner without Axl. He was not the main problem,

Axl diehards are funny.

I suppose that without Axl rock music might have not even existed past 1989.

STP had two huge albums in the 90s. But our Weiland with Slash , izzy and Duff and that band would have failed? Lol. Sure.

And the VR example isn't relevant? It's basically the same band from the example. And they were more successful than Axl with the GnR brand backing him.

Some of you people are hilarious.

Axl diehards are funny.

I suppose that without Axl rock music might have not even existed past 1989.

STP had two huge albums in the 90s. But our Weiland with Slash , izzy and Duff and that band would have failed? Lol. Sure.

And the VR example isn't relevant? It's basically the same band from the example. And they were more successful than Axl with the GnR brand backing him.

Some of you people are hilarious.

So in 1990 you think a Scott weiland led Guns N Roses would have been successful? I wasn't even born yet so I'm actually interested. Was Scott successful already? Would people start to give the slash and co the backlash they gave Axl when he moved on from the other members?

I think they only way you replace Axl is with a huge name singer. Someone who was extremely popular at the time. You not gona match the vocal ability so I think you'd just have to go for credibility.

Edited by Estranged Coma