What are you currently playing? Last game played?

so the beta finished, i played it for about 20 hours or so, i did all the single player content and played a bunch of the dark zone. 

first off the darkzone has its own leveling system separate from the pve side of things. the max level in pve is 30 and the dark zone is 99. pve and the darkzone also have their own currency.

the dark zone is awesome. its a hybrid of pve and pvp. around the darkzone there are chests that will give you crafting materials and loot, some are locked by keys which drop of some of the NPC's or can be obtained by killing other agents(and going rogue) once you collect the loot you will have a yellow biohazard bag on your back that you need to extract via helicopter. if you get killed you drop the bag and anyone can take your loot. if you get to the extraction point you fire a flare in the air summoning a helicopter, which will arrive in 90 seconds, of course the game alerts everyone that you called for an extraction. after 60 seconds the chopper will drop a rope, where you put your bag on, once attached the loot is your, no one can take it off or anything, you will sometimes have NPC's show up during extraction trying to kill you, as well as real players so things get pretty hectic.

the rogue system is interesting, some in the beta loved it some hated how it was done. basically if you do enough damage to an agent you go rogue and will have a red skull by your name, everyone on the map will be able to see your location  on the map, this includes seeing a heat signature through walls. in the first stage(stage 0) you will have a timer for 30 seconds(iirc it might be 20) but everytime you engage another agent the timer resets, and for every person you kill the timer goes up and a higher bounty is put on your head. the payoff is if you survive long enough and the timer runs out you will get the bounty that was on your head in the form of dark zone currency which can be used to purchase equipment, including exotic weapons within the darkzone. the downside is everyone is hunting you and if you die, you lose a shit ton of darkzone xp and money, plus the time to respawn increases per rogue level.

now the darkzone does have some issues, first its too easy to go rogue on accident, i fucking went rogue 3 or 4 times on complete accident. it usually happens when you have a good weapon and someone who is low level steps in front of you when you are firing at a NPC. speaking of stepping in front of players, certain players will do it on purpose, usually a group of 2 or 3 will come near you acting like everything is cool, only for one  to purposely step in front of you, turn you rogue while the rest of the group fires on you collecting the bounty. also camping at entrances is a problem for some, i personally never had it happen to me but people will wait by the darkzone doors and kill you upon entering. this may not be a problem in the final release since there will be many more entrances to the darkzone, in the beta we only had two entrances.

another problem may have been just a beta issue. there is an issue where players can go invisible in the darkzone, this happened to me and i am still not sure why, someone from ubisoft said they think it is because i went into a safehouse within the darkzone and when i came out the game put me in another instance but still showed me the players in the instance i was jut in. another cause of the glitch is because the rest of the dark zone was blocked off by big red transparent walls, if you ran through those you had a chance of going invisible as well.

the pve portion of the game is a little harder to really give any type of feeback on, you really didn't get a whole lot of single player gameplay. you basically got 1 main story mission, and 1 real side quest. there was other side content as well called "encounters" which are sort of like side missions, basically they involve killing bad guys held up in an apartment or building, one had you restoring water to a part of the city, one mission had you decontaminating an area and uploading a portion of the virus for research. there are collectibles as well one was trying to find a missing agent, a crashed drone, picking up the pieces of a survival guide etc. the survival guide actually gave you a nice piece of gear if you found all 6 of them. the matchmaking is pretty sweet, once you finish a mission you can replay it but at a harder difficulty, you get a better reward for the higher the difficulty. the mission will scale to your level so if you are a level 8 player you will face level 7-9 npc's including the elites. the first mission is in madison square garden if you complete the mission on hard difficulty you get a random piece of blue gear for it.

you can fully customize your weapons, from skins, to grips, scopes, silencers etc. you get to have two weapons and a pistol. the loot goes from green to orange. every weapon you find has random stats on it, so if you find a green police m4 it could have different stats on it. in the darkzone i was lucky and was able to purchase a blue police m4 that had a dps of 2800 which i built up to around 3400 which is just slightly below the exotic orange assault rifle in the darkzone but about 2400 dollars cheaper :lol:

the tl/dr version: game is really good, darkzone is fun as hell to play, not enough single player content to judge, but will be playing when the game is released in march.

I've heard pretty mixed things, watched a few streams and that. I hate that everyone seems to soak up bullets before they die, it doesn't look like there's an awful of strategy, and by all accounts it's pretty shit to play by yourself. The atmosphere keeps on getting played up though, and the dark zone as a really nifty idea and execution. I think this has the Destiny "loot n' grind" vibe though, and I'll definitely be avoiding it for that reason. Shame, because I was really excited when I first saw it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Conor said:

I've heard pretty mixed things, watched a few streams and that. I hate that everyone seems to soak up bullets before they die, it doesn't look like there's an awful of strategy, and by all accounts it's pretty shit to play by yourself. The atmosphere keeps on getting played up though, and the dark zone as a really nifty idea and execution. I think this has the Destiny "loot n' grind" vibe though, and I'll definitely be avoiding it for that reason. Shame, because I was really excited when I first saw it.

It really depends on a couple of things when it comes to how many bullets it takes to put down an enemy i really did test this in game while playing. the regular unarmored enemies and the purple armored enemies go down rather quickly, if you can land head shots they go down quickly, the only enemies that takes a ton of bullets are the yellow elites, mini bosses and bosses, even then with a powerful enough weapon and well placed head shots will eat away a piece of armor no problem, i once while facing a yellow elite (the same level as me) landed 2 headshots(1 was a crit)with a green m1a and killed him. to me they get far more "spongy" when playing with a group, which while not "realistic" makes sense if you have 4 in a group with powerful weapons.

i played around 80% of the beta by myself, in both single player and in the dark zone. enemies in the pve part of the game are kind of hit and miss, on hard mode they are smarter and will do some cool things, they will flank, and even suppress fire on you while the rest of the enemies will flank you or  rush your position, they will move to other pieces of cover. they will also do stupid things like find good cover just to jump down and run in front of you and stuff like that. in the dark zone playing single player is where i had the most fun, it is quite the rush to have 6 pieces of blue and purple gear on you and you are by yourself and you can't trust anyone or cover all entrances or exits, never mind the sniper positions across the street. 

as for the destiny loot and grind i never played destiny i have watched some gameplay and read about it and the division does sound like destiny in nyc. people did say in the beta the game was like destiny with a story :lol: from what the beta showed the game really wasn't too grindy  IF you do the darkzone, from reading about the game and playing the beta if you are a pure PVE player who doesn't plan on ever stepping inside the dark zone, it seems like the grind for loot will be infinitely longer, although in the first mission if you do it on hard mode you get an automatic blue drop, plus the gear you get off dead enemies and boss. i did that mission solo 3 times and even got a sweet blue ak47. you can break down the greens into crafting components and then improve the tier of the base crafting component IE you take a green rifle and break it down into a green electronics piece, you can take green electronic pieces and make them blue, blueprints drop from enemies, found in chests, or are given as a quest reward. the second side quest you do gives you a blue px-4 handgun blueprint.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a OCD-like "age of mythology"-mode right now. I'm playing as soon as I have a little time over. Always Norse, always on hard. The strategy is simple: 1. find out where the opponents villagers are 2. kill them 3. win. It's really repetitive but I can't seem to get bored. I tried to play "the dig" (another oldie) a few weeks back. Man, the puzzles were totally illogical. I hated it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...