I just discovered Deep Purple

wasted

Somebody once told me that Smoke on the Water is a reference for taking bongs.

Absolutely not. Smoke On The Water was written about a whore house that burned down and there were like 20 whores killed and Blackmore got away without a scratch and wrote the riff with no pants on.

So did you listen to the early Ian Gillan records or the Coverdale records (or both)?

I don't know. It's a 30 track best of with some insanely rocking music, but classy too, and kind of voodoo and shit.

Child in Time blew my mind.

So did you listen to the early Ian Gillan records or the Coverdale records (or both)?

I don't know. It's a 30 track best of with some insanely rocking music, but classy too, and kind of voodoo and shit.

I doubt it included more than a song or two from those early records. Probably Hush and maybe something else. Otherwise that stuff is very different from Deep Purple.

Cool that you just discovered them. You're in for a wild ride. They're a great band and IMO one of the few that has had extensive lineup changes and they are really all great. At least I like most Purple all the way through the 70s.

Deep Purple is awesome! Obviously, the MK II lineup is my favorite, but there is a lot of great pre and post Gillan stuff, too.

I saw them with an orchestra in 2011. It was really cool! Morse and Airey do a great job live, but I do miss Blackmore and Lord.

They have some good material with Morse, too. I really like Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming and Rapture of the Deep

• Like 1

Child In Time is an amazing song, it's on the album I mentioned "In Rock".

I'm listening to stuff like Speed King, Strange kind of Woman, Fireball, Black Night, Hush, Highway Star Remix. Obviously I've heard some before like Hush, Highway, Black Night.

I remember when in a band in school and a teacher gave me Fireball album but I never listened to it on principle.

This cd is called 30: the Very Best of Deep Purple.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention, I think Gillan's voice has really deteriorated. The show I went to was fun, but he was the weak link. I'm still glad its him up there, but us always complaining about Axl makes me forget there is worse out there

That looks a pretty good overview greatest hits. Don't know if you have the one disc or two. I'm assuming one, and the single disc is missing two great songs Might Just Take Your Life and Knocking At Your Back Door which are on the two disc.

Other songs that are absent from both versions are Lay Down Stay Down, Comin' Home, Fools, Highball Shooter, Soldier Of Fortune, and oddly enough I don't see Space Truckin on either of those copies, which may be overplayed but is a classic track.

I've got two discs. I noticed Knocking on the Back Door. It just attracted my attention.

I actually got it off a street stall with Metal Masters II which is a 3 disc set and a bootleg copy of Ozzy Prince of Darkness.

I've got two discs. I noticed Knocking on the Back Door. It just attracted my attention.

I actually got it off a street stall with Metal Masters II which is a 3 disc set and a bootleg copy of Ozzy Prince of Darkness.

Maybe it was put together for a tour. I read Blackmore chooses the tracks they play live.

I forgot to mention, I think Gillan's voice has really deteriorated. The show I went to was fun, but he was the weak link. I'm still glad its him up there, but us always complaining about Axl makes me forget there is worse out there

Hey man, have you heard Ozzy live in say, the past decade?

Gillan sounds great :P

Hey man, have you heard Ozzy live in say, the past decade?

Gillan sounds great :P

Oh god... I've seen Ozzy live twice. Just terrible! I still love Gillan, too, he just lost a lot of power. Totally understandable, he's old

Oh god... I've seen Ozzy live twice. Just terrible! I still love Gillan, too, he just lost a lot of power. Totally understandable, he's old

Yep.

No denying Ian isn't what he once was ( lots of people say he hasn't been any good live since 83) , but compare him to Ozzy and he's still fucking great.

Get yourself a copy of the MK II Ian Gillan version of the band "Made in Japan" live CD. One of the greatest live albums of all time. I have this on three different versions on vinyl ( UK, Japan and US versions), 4 different CD releases and all are excellent IMHO

This is the best songs from 3 dates in Japan in 1972 plus a bonus disc of some of the encores

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mR-oI0lyck

http://www.amazon.com/Made-Japan-Deluxe-US-Release/dp/B0012EJVTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428511451&sr=8-1&keywords=deep+purple+made+in+japan+40th+anniversary

or if you are really into it you can get the Deluxe edition that has all three concerts complete. I have this and it is fantastic but it is more or less the same set list every night.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Made-Japan-Deep-Purple/dp/B00IGAI5RQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428511268&sr=8-1&keywords=Deep+Purple+Made+in+Japan+box+set

If you are getting into DP it is a must have.

Also recommend this live CD featuring the MK III David Coverdale/ Glen Hughes version of the band "Live in London

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHppJxJvyek

http://www.amazon.com/Live-London-DEEP-PURPLE/dp/B00577WFOU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1428512335&sr=8-7&keywords=deep+purple+live+cd

The Mk IV version of the band features Tommy Bolin on guitar after Blackmore quit to start Rainbow with Dio but Bolin injured his arm so he could barely play.

Joe Satriani also toured briefly with them in 94/ 95 after Blackmore quit again but there are no official releases with him which is a shame as I understand he was excellent playing the DP songs. Here is a boot of him live with the band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyN99q8Wo9k

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1