Was Guns N' Roses the Limp Bizkit of the '80s-early '90s?

Dr. Who

Both bands were megahuge in their respective eras, GN'R from 1988 to 1994 roughly, Limp Bizkit from '99 to 2001 approximately.

Both featured lead singers who were pretty much, in some ways, douchebags, but who courted controversy and aroused interest in the public in their respective primes.

Both reinvented something existing to great success, GNR reinventing '70s rock for an '80s audience, Limp Bizkit taking rap rock and giving it a heavier edge.

Both faded out of popularity and relevance just as quickly as they began, their last major hits being cover songs (GN'R's SIHDY, LB's Behind Blue Eyes) and saw the departures of their lead guitarist and irrevlance.

I'd argue that GN'R was the Limp Bizkit of their era: Banal, huge, controversial, and pretty much forgotten. Yeah you have some great songs on AFD but nothing that hadn't been done before, and a lot of it just downright crude. Same with LB, some memorable songs that rocked the radio in the late '90s and early '00s...But acts which have largely been forgotten.

Before you say "But Limp Bizkit sucks! Look at their lyrics!", I give you My World, Shotgun Blues, Anything Goes, and Get in the Ring.

Both bands were megahuge in their respective eras, GN'R from 1988 to 1994 roughly, Limp Bizkit from '99 to 2001 approximately.

Both featured lead singers who were pretty much, in some ways, douchebags, but who courted controversy and aroused interest in the public in their respective primes.

Both reinvented something existing to great success, GNR reinventing '70s rock for an '80s audience, Limp Bizkit taking rap rock and giving it a heavier edge.

Both faded out of popularity and relevance just as quickly as they began, their last major hits being cover songs (GN'R's SIHDY, LB's Behind Blue Eyes) and saw the departures of their lead guitarist and irrevlance.

I'd argue that GN'R was the Limp Bizkit of their era: Banal, huge, controversial, and pretty much forgotten. Yeah you have some great songs on AFD but nothing that hadn't been done before, and a lot of it just downright crude. Same with LB, some memorable songs that rocked the radio in the late '90s and early '00s...But acts which have largely been forgotten.

Before you say "But Limp Bizkit sucks! Look at their lyrics!", I give you My World, Shotgun Blues, Anything Goes, and Get in the Ring.

GNR wrote rock history with two and a half albums. They considered to be one of the greatest bands of all time with one of the best rock vocalists and one of the best rock guitarist of all time. They had plenty of hits from raw and wild outlaw-RnR to mature music.

• Like 2

Yes. They had very similar lifespans.

People will say they aren't, citing that GNR are "real rock n' roll" and all that shit, but it doesn't matter. GNR came in, had a few hits in a 4 year span, died out along with their genre. That's pretty much exactly what Limp Bizkit did.

• Like 1

They didn't die out. That's the point. Turn on rock radio, you'll still hear any of a half-dozen GNR songs. I can't remember the last time I heard a Limp Bizkit song anywhere.

Terrible thread, but I expect nothing else from the creator.

• Like 2

They must have been detrimental to themselves then because Korn, Slipknot, Rage Against The Machine and even Kid Rock buried them alive and Zakk Wylde laid the foundation. The fact that one of their songs starts as a reference to Welcome To The Jungle proves they were always amongst the most boring honkies. Give me all the apparent bad GN'R songs.

They didn't die out. That's the point. Turn on rock radio, you'll still hear any of a half-dozen GNR songs. I can't remember the last time I heard a Limp Bizkit song anywhere.

Turn on rock radio and you'll hear GNR.

Turn on whatever the fuck genre LB is radio and you'll hear LB.

Turn on relevant music radio and you'll hear neither.

Where's GNR's lasting influence on music? Where are all of the bands that were influenced by GNR and sound like them?

Edited by bacardimayne

Being too young to know better isn't even excuse for this farce of a thread because one band still places at or near the top of every best guitarist and best vocalist poll in existence and the other.... Well, I don't even know about the other. They died and dropped off the face of the earth to be forgotten by everybody?

Weren't you in diapers when GNR were big, Cardi?

I'm all for not overstating how super influential GNR were but having experienced both band's respective heydays, GNR were more a lot more "mainstream" than Limp Bizkit, as in it wasn't just sweaty teenage boys that liked GNR.

What's "relevant music" by the way?

Everything goes out of fashion (if you pay attention to fashion, that is) and becomes passe'...

I'm all for not overstating how super influential GNR were but having experienced both band's respective heydays, GNR were more a lot more "mainstream" than Limp Bizkit, as in it wasn't just sweaty teenage boys that liked GNR.

Everything goes out of fashion (if you pay attention to fashion, that is) and becomes passe'...

Yes, I am a young person who, god willing, still has a nice long life ahead of him, thanks for reminding me.

Obviously there are slight differences between GNR and LB. I'm not saying their situations are identical, but they are very similar. And really, were sweaty teenage Limp Bizkit fans any worse than sweaty teenage 80s rock fans? Yeah, LB was more of a niche thing, but they were still undeniably huge during their time. GNR were huge during their time and sure, their stuff still plays on the classic rock radio, but have they had any influence on music? Do any modern music acts sound like them? The only mainstream band I can think of that has cited GNR as a big inspiration are Avenged Sevenfold.

If the legacy of a band that was on their way to becoming "the next Rolling Stones" is a few songs that get played before football games, the Rolling Stones must have been pretty shit.

Yes, I am a young person who, god willing, still has a nice long life ahead of him, thanks for reminding me.

Obviously there are slight differences between GNR and LB. I'm not saying their situations are identical, but they are very similar. And really, were sweaty teenage Limp Bizkit fans any worse than sweaty teenage 80s rock fans? Yeah, LB was more of a niche thing, but they were still undeniably huge during their time. GNR were huge during their time and sure, their stuff still plays on the classic rock radio, but have they had any influence on music? Do any modern music acts sound like them? The only mainstream band I can think of that has cited GNR as a big inspiration are Avenged Sevenfold.

If the legacy of a band that was on their way to becoming "the next Rolling Stones" is a few songs that get played before football games, the Rolling Stones must have been pretty shit.

You're welcome, I didn't bring it up to be "ageist"- it is kind of relevant that you weren't around to actually experience GNR in their heyday though, isn't it?

Me, being "old"- I was in double digits back then and also experienced Limp Bizkit's 15 minutes of fame firsthand...which is why I'm confident and saying that the answer to the OP's question is "NO".

LB were definitely more of a niche act, I referenced "sweaty teenage boys" because that was Limp Bizkit's demographic- where with Guns (and Bon Jovi, who passions aside they are probably closer too) they were big with both sexes and I'm confident in saying not just teenagers and adolescents.

Being young is great Cardi, I hope you do have a nice long life ahead of you so you can see all the "relevant" music that you like become uncool and be lectured about how it was by the youth of the day who weren't there to experience it first hand ;)

Having experienced both eras, it's a silly comparison. And I'm not saying that to shit on Limp Bizkit. There's a few fun songs there. But looking at the numbers alone makes the comparison fall flat on it's face.

I think the "sweaty teenage boys" comment was meant to say that Limp played to a very specific demographic. While you'll find people from all walks of life that like "Paradise City" or "Sweet Child".

I don't have any idea where the "influence" question comes into play. That's a total strawman. GNR tunes have stood the test of time, Limp Bizkit has not.

Where do you find Limp Bizkit on radio now? Legit question. I listen to modern rock stations and every once in a while they'll reach back and spin GNR. As for Limp, I think I heard "Faith" on an all request lunch a year ago, but not 100% on that.

• Like 1

Yes. There are a lot of similarities. Douchebad lead singers, who can write the most cringeworthy lyrics, but who can still kick some serious ass on stage. A talented lead guitarist with a gimmick. An underrated, really killer rhythm section.

The sad part is, that I love both of these bands dearly.

What's funny is that I also hang out at a Limp Bizkit forum and the people there bitch about Fred Durst in same way that people bitch about Axl in here :D. Plus LB has been promising a new record for 3 years, but nothing seems to be moving forward, so people call Durst Axl Rose. Funny stuff.

Edited by jekylhyde

The industry was very different in 99 compare to the 70s and 80s. LB were close to one hist wonders. As you put it 99-2001, GN´R was not that. Why LB was relevant from 99 to 2001 only? Because that´s how the industry works these days. After a couple of years they move on to find the next rapper or pop idol.

Limp Bizkit could be a 00's GnR in a much, more smaller level. After Fred Durst and Wes Borland broke up, there was never a big commotion for a reunion and one of their biggest hits came after that. Limp Bizkit died basically because of Linkin Park. And when they came back, no one cared.