When did the 2010 rasp start to disappear?

I remember some of the Abu Dhabi videos from December 2010 had him starting to slip, but no where near as bad as the following year

This. From what I remember he pretty much just sounded 'tired' at Abu Dhabi after a year of touring like that, but the difference is night and day compared with 2011. His 'off' shows in 2010 (like Reading) are still way better than anything since that tour, with maybe a few exceptions.

I think we were all expecting a 2010 performance at RIR, if he'd managed that then it would have been a brilliant night for everyone associated with GN'R. We would have moaned about the lack of new music, because we will always complain about something but in all honesty it was a big shock how much closer he was to '01-'02 than '06-'10.

• Like 2

Axl still sounded 2010-quality when I saw Guns' in November 2011 in Hamilton. The first 3 Vegas shows I saw in 2012 were also topnotch while Quebec in July 2013 was like the AFDemocracy DVD where Axl was pretty much completely winded after Mr. Brownstone.

• Like 1

It really raises the question of what happened between December 2010 & October 2011. It's obvious he didn't prepare enough for it, but to never really pull out of that funk is interesting. I always wonder if the immense amount of backlash from RIR '11 made him sort of say "fuck it" the rest of the tour.

It really raises the question of what happened between December 2010 & October 2011. It's obvious he didn't prepare enough for it, but to never really pull out of that funk is interesting. I always wonder if the immense amount of backlash from RIR '11 made him sort of say "fuck it" the rest of the tour.

He didn't get his way with the Azoff lawsuit - maybe that put him back into depression:

http://noisecreep.com/axl-rose-and-irving-azoff-settle-lawsuit/

Axl still sounded 2010-quality when I saw Guns' in November 2011 in Hamilton. The first 3 Vegas shows I saw in 2012 were also topnotch while Quebec in July 2013 was like the AFDemocracy DVD where Axl was pretty much completely winded after Mr. Brownstone.

Ah yes, the infamous "I WAS AT THE SHOW - HE SOUNDED TREMENDOUS" defense.

I was in Hamilton. It was fun, but the videos don't lie - his voice was bad.

• Like 1

He didn't get his way with the Azoff lawsuit - maybe that put him back into depression:

Could be. And if I'm reading that right it looks like a big reason for the 2011 tour was to hit Live Nation owned venues to fulfill a legal settlement, so not something Axl would care about hitting with a ton of gusto.

• Like 1

Well, what allows a singer to have control and power on his voice are muscles. As with every muscles, those need to be trained in order to perform well.

Once you get old, specially past 50, your body's ability to build muscle is greatly diminished. In fact, you actually start to naturally lose muscle mass, I don't see why, scientifically, this does not apply to the ones that control your voice.

At Axl's age, a regular dude needs to work and train to keep whatever muscle mass he has left. To gain further strenght, he needs to work twice as hard. Not only that, but a decent diet, with correct proportions of protein, carbs etc. and proper rest are required.

That would pretty much explain why Axl's voice seems to get better as a tour progresses, and also why he sounds utterly awful on the first few legs of a tour. Maybe he simply doesn't put in the work required to perform at the level he used to 4-5 years ago.

Could be. And if I'm reading that right it looks like a big reason for the 2011 tour was to hit Live Nation owned venues to fulfill a legal settlement, so not something Axl would care about hitting with a ton of gusto.

And by pissing off Azoff, Axl's probably blacklisted from ever performing in big venues that Live Nation controls after that tour. Which explains the 3 years of small clubs and residencies.

Ah yes, the infamous "I WAS AT THE SHOW - HE SOUNDED TREMENDOUS" defense.

I was in Hamilton. It was fun, but the videos don't lie - his voice was bad.

Yeah he sounded bad on most songs in Hamilton. Opened strong and once they got to estranged it fell apart vocally. Still had a great time though

I remember some of the Abu Dhabi videos from December 2010 had him starting to slip, but no where near as bad as the following year

This. From what I remember he pretty much just sounded 'tired' at Abu Dhabi after a year of touring like that, but the difference is night and day compared with 2011. His 'off' shows in 2010 (like Reading) are still way better than anything since that tour, with maybe a few exceptions.

No disrespect but Reading was good! I'm not sure why everyone seems to hate it.

http://youtu.be/qyIY_LGqoXo

It has the best vocal performance of Rocket Queen at around 41 min. The fan shot video sounds like every other good 2010 show though. The proshots just expose Axl a bit more like it would at any show.

I wasn't saying it was bad, an 'off' show in 2010 was still a good show, he'd just set the bar so high that anything that wasn't 'great' was 'off' I guess, I didn't mean for it to read that way. I still don't think he was as strong around that time was as other parts of the year though, but the worst show of 2010 was probably Sturgis.

Yea I get ya Gordon, I have seen people say it was a poor performance though. I guess in 2010 the bar was raised. I just want RQ's proshot from this gig

Also Axl was a lil out of breath here. I think in Live and let die he doesn't do the second scream. Most notes are shorter and he looked a lil bigger on these videos than the rest of 2010.

Edited by IncitingChaos

It has the best vocal performance of Rocket Queen at around 41 min. The fan shot video sounds like every other good 2010 show though. The proshots just expose Axl a bit more like it would at any show.

No one can deny how good his voice was there especially with rocket queen.. Like you said. At 53 still belting them out is pretty good

This I Love at Reading is still a long way from Arnhem, London and most other shows.

No one can deny how good his voice was there especially with rocket queen.. Like you said. At 53 still belting them out is pretty good

he was 48 on this one...

Btw here's a really good rocket queen, the reading one is not even close

• Like 2

Whoops my bad. Ok I'll have a nose thanks mate

he was 48 on this one...

Btw here's a really good rocket queen, the reading one is not even close

Yep you're right that was bloody amazing.

I love the second half of the song especially.. Sounds like an entirely different song