Phil Lewis (L.A. Guns singer)talks about Axl Rose on Metal Sludge!

Exactly. If you don't like Axl's vocals on CD, it's because you hate him.

#nugnrlogic

Oh come on Mags, I think you should no me better than that. I'm not some blind nugnr fanboy. Does Axl sound a little different on CD as opposed to the earlier albums? Yes I suppose. But he also sounds like Axl Rose. So my point was, if you honestly feel that Axl sounds bad on CD, then you must not be a fan of his singing, period. If you think he sounds awesome on classic stuff, but shitty on CD, then yes I do feel you are basing that opinion on things other than his actual vocals, because it's the same damn guy. Thats just as bad as a Slash hater saying his guitar sounds awesome on guns albums, But his tone and riffs have been shitty ever since.

If you don't like the songs or perhaps the album itself, that's fine, you are entitled to that opinion. But to our right bash his vocals? Yes I think that is either being petty or being bias because of the band situation. Axl Rose sounds like Axl Rose on CD, period.

And Apollo, you are a fan of CD, so implying that I'm as bad as a Beiber fan us a stretch man. You have always said Axl is your favorite rock singer, so do you think he sounds bad on CD then? Or do you agree with me that he sounds like Axl Rose?

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Axl is vocally brilliant on CD, I honestly don't know how anyone could disagree. I remember when Sorry came out, so many people made fun of Axls vocals on that song. I remember people saying "he sounds like Count Dracula" and what not. Which I always felt was just plain ignorant on people's part, he sounds like Axl. Sorry especially has the most "classic Axl" vocals on the whole album. Plus his vocals on TWAT and Prostitute, if you don't like the songs, that's one thing, but his vocals? Really? Sometimes I swear some of you just want to hate on him just to hate....

I agree on Sorry, when he sings 'You've got all the answers.

Shackler's Revenge have amazing vocals. It was mixed better in the Chicken Dinner original leak.

I met Phil after an L.A. Guns show a few years ago - he's a very nice guy.

He's a nice chap, very respectful of other singers, when he is not being sarcastic

The first two LA Guns albums were great

I'd say the first three..."Hollywood Vampires" is awesome as well.

Do you have anything in particular you do to stay in shape, vocally, or is it just natural? You didn't force your voice into the distortion that Axl did, and I'd assume that'd be the biggest reason, but you've managed to keep your range and tone better than most.

Just the usual pre show gram of blow and pint O Jack.

Nah, I jest of course. I love Axl's voice, He has the best range of any male singer Ive ever heard and I think a couple of songs on Democracy are vocally brilliant. Bill's biggest problem was he tried way to hard to be Elton John and lost all his urgency and edge. And don't get me started on the dress sense.

http://forums.metalsludge.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=319261

There is a poll on the Metal Sludge gossip board about

Phil Lewis VS W. Axl Rose

Who's your favorite?

In your opinion who's better live and who's aged better?

The comment I posted is by Al Snug aka Phil Lewis.

fair points

but i just cheked that forum...

lol, posts like these diminish any credibility they had opinion wise over there

i mean seriously wtf... Axl is a joke now for years, but these post for example is insane

I also prefer Cocked And Loaded over Appetite For Destruction.

Phil is a singer. Axl is a stylist who screeches.

LA Guns was the better (and I guess still is) band over all as well.

Well in the 80s Phil was better live

In the 90s Phil was better live

In the 2000s Phil is better live..

Holy shit, so many idiots over there

Their musical taste/judgement is not even plausible...

(also lolled about hairmetalmusic's posts, sounds exactly like groghan, maybe because it's really him) but i just close it here, because i put him on ignore

Obviously that's me. I posted about my old website many times on this forum. So congrats for discovering and figuring out something that was common knowledge!!!!

But holy crap Crash Diet. You put me on ignore but you can't stop talking about me. Get a grip dude. I actually feel bad that my posts effect you so much. Life is too short to be so angry all the time.

#nugnrlogic

It's funny isn't it. People aren't allowed to not like Axl's vocals or CD. Or to like anybody else better. If they do it's not a matter of personal preference but because they just don't know music and their opinion isn't valid. Blows my mind that people actually think that way. And we think Justin Bieber fans are crazy.

:lol: One of the forum's biggest cupcakes ignoring another of the forum's biggest cupcakes. Maybe I should ignore you both.

He's a nice chap, very respectful of other singers, when he is not being sarcastic

Is the third album the one with Crystal Eyes? Memories bad haha. For me that album was like Cinderella's Heartbreak Station, a couple of good tracks, but not a great album end to end.

• Like 1

Do you have anything in particular you do to stay in shape, vocally, or is it just natural? You didn't force your voice into the distortion that Axl did, and I'd assume that'd be the biggest reason, but you've managed to keep your range and tone better than most.

Nah, I jest of course. I love Axl's voice, He has the best range of any male singer Ive ever heard and I think a couple of songs on Democracy are vocally brilliant. Bill's biggest problem was he tried way to hard to be Elton John and lost all his urgency and edge. And don't get me started on the dress sense.

Who's your favorite?

fair points

i mean seriously wtf... Axl is a joke now for years, but these post for example is insane

(also lolled about hairmetalmusic's posts, sounds exactly like groghan, maybe because it's really him) but i just close it here, because i put him on ignore

Obviously that's me. I posted about my old website many times on this forum. So congrats for discovering and figuring out something that was common knowledge!!!!

But holy crap Crash Diet. You put me on ignore but you can't stop talking about me. Get a grip dude. I actually feel bad that my posts effect you so much. Life is too short to be so angry all the time.

#nugnrlogic

It's funny isn't it. People aren't allowed to not like Axl's vocals or CD. Or to like anybody else better. If they do it's not a matter of personal preference but because they just don't know music and their opinion isn't valid. Blows my mind that people actually think that way. And we think Justin Bieber fans are crazy.

:lol: One of the forum's biggest cupcakes ignoring another of the forum's biggest cupcakes. Maybe I should ignore you both.
The kid who begged for months to win a forum award is calling me a tr@ll - makes perfect sense.

I would put you on ignore but then I would miss the constant "Axl is fat" and "slash is fat" and "please vote for me for shitposter of year" posts.

I come her to chat about my favorite band. You come here to try and be funny. I'm not sure you actually know what the word tr@ll means. Smh.

Is the third album the one with Crystal Eyes? Memories bad haha. For me that album was like Cinderella's Heartbreak Station, a couple of good tracks, but not a great album end to end.

That describes every LA Guns album. Solid from top to bottom. Nothing to memorable, but everything is usually pretty good.
  • Like 1

@Apollo

The first two LA Guns albums were great, loud in a club, or live, with added chemicals, it was magic. The material on the first album was less melodic but more earthy and primal. Cocked and Loaded was more commercial, it sold well but could have been promoted better worldwide

@Apollo

The first two LA Guns albums were great, loud in a club, or live, with added chemicals, it was magic. The material on the first album was less melodic but more earthy and primal. Cocked and Loaded was more commercial, it sold well but could have been promoted better worldwide

I've been a fan since day one. With every singer. And every one of the 45 lineup changes.
  • Like 1

Yep..."Crystal Eyes", "Kiss My Love Goodbye", "Over the Edge", and "Some Lie For Love"

#nugnrlogic

My opinion is different than yours. You seem to respect my opinion but I won't respect yours.

#axlfanlogic

mygnrlogic

Who's your favorite?

fair points

#nugnrlogic

yes, you should

and btw i don't know that Groghan has this website, seems like he thinks that all of the members give a flying fuck about his site

and nobody is angry with Groghan

he just repeats the same shit everyday, not a big deal nor an achievement

and pls don't quote him i don't want to see his tl;dr shitposts anymore

#nugnrlogic

My opinion is different than yours. You seem to respect my opinion but I won't respect yours.

#axlfanlogic

mygnrlogic

Who's your favorite?

fair points

#nugnrlogic

yes, you should

and btw i don't know that Groghan has this website, seems like he thinks that all of the members give a flying fuck about his site

and nobody is angry with Groghan

he just repeats the same shit everyday, not a big deal nor an achievement

and pls don't quote him i don't want to see his tl;dr shitposts anymore

Crash diet - bro, more talk about Guns n Roses and less talk about me. Please.

#nugnrlogic

Oh come on Mags, I think you should no me better than that. I'm not some blind nugnr fanboy. Does Axl sound a little different on CD as opposed to the earlier albums? Yes I suppose. But he also sounds like Axl Rose. So my point was, if you honestly feel that Axl sounds bad on CD, then you must not be a fan of his singing, period. If you think he sounds awesome on classic stuff, but shitty on CD, then yes I do feel you are basing that opinion on things other than his actual vocals, because it's the same damn guy. Thats just as bad as a Slash hater saying his guitar sounds awesome on guns albums, But his tone and riffs have been shitty ever since.

If you don't like the songs or perhaps the album itself, that's fine, you are entitled to that opinion. But to our right bash his vocals? Yes I think that is either being petty or being bias because of the band situation. Axl Rose sounds like Axl Rose on CD, period.

And Apollo, you are a fan of CD, so implying that I'm as bad as a Beiber fan us a stretch man. You have always said Axl is your favorite rock singer, so do you think he sounds bad on CD then? Or do you agree with me that he sounds like Axl Rose?

But it's not the same guy, man. And it's not the same voice. That's why there are many of us who say he sounds like shit. The chorus of Chinese is shit. The deep voice nonsense of Shackler's is shit. The weird high pitch thing he does at the end of the Better verses is shit. The clean voice parts of SOD are shit. The clean/high pitched, non-rasp voice he does on ITW is shit. The clean-ish voice he uses for the verses of TWAT and CITR is shit. Scraped? Well, that's just embarrassing in general. Riad sucks as a song, but his voice is pretty good. Same for Sorry, although the dracula thing is retarded. Voice pretty good on IRS. "Old man" voice on Madagascar is shit. TIL is like Riad and Sorry. Shit song, voice OK. Prostitute voice sucks. Comes close to ruining the best song on the album. Clean voice during verses sucks. High voice with lack of rasp during choruses sucks.

Edited by magisme

Well to each their own...

I love CD and I think Axl sounds amazing on it.

The reason I lumped you in with the other group is when you make statements saying that people are wrong if they think Axl sounds bad.

Music is all about personal preference. And it's not right to say that people's personal preference is wrong.

I hate mustard and onions. But I don't think that people that like them are delusion fanboys who have no taste in food. I like singers with high pitched voices....lots of people don't. But I'm not going to make a blanket statement that somebody is delusional and just a hater if they don't like the singer from steelheart like I do.

So I agree with you. I think Axl sounds fantastic. I wish he would release a double album this summer that is just like CD.

I "think" Axl sounded great in CD. That's just my opinion. It is no more valid or right or wrong than Mags "thinking" Axl sucked on CD.

I can't tell him he is wrong - period. And he shouldn't tell me I'm wrong. We just disagree. Not everybody likes the same thing.

I guess the reason why I made a "blanket" statement is because I feel that he sounds like Axl. Yes perhaps older sounding, But still sounds like the same person.

Just like MJ, does MJ sound slightly different on Invinsiable than he does on Off The Wall? Yes probably. But I would say he sounds "bad" or "awful".

Same goes for Elton John, his voiced deepened a lot over his career. In the 70s on songs like Crocodile Rock, he had a very high voice. But later on he always sang in a much lower register, but he still sounds like Elton John. And I don't think if you go on a Elton John or MJ message board they won't be sitting around and bashing their older vocals, so why do so MANY do that to Axl then? IMO I do feel the state of the band had a lot to do with that, it must. Perhpas not in mags case, but I'm sure plenty of others it is. If Duff and Slash recorded CD with Axl, then I doubt so many would be so critical of his vocals. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's how it seems to me.

Yesterday's would have benefited a great deal if it was recorded in 1999, where Axl tremendously recorded his voice for the benefit of countless songs. The same could be said for multiple tracks on the Illusion albums. That period was probably the most productive of Axl's career, I just hope some day we get the benefit of that.

So are you saying that a neutral from listening to Appetite For Destruction wouldn't know that it was Axl's voice on Lies etc? I think it's more to do with showcasing a variation of his voice, but you can tell its the same voice, as it has a unique sound.

Countless songs.

But it's not the same guy, man. And it's not the same voice. That's why there are many of us who say he sounds like shit. The chorus of Chinese is shit. The deep voice nonsense of Shackler's is shit. The weird high pitch thing he does at the end of the Better verses is shit. The clean voice parts of SOD are shit. The clean/high pitched, non-rasp voice he does on ITW is shit. The clean-ish voice he uses for the verses of TWAT and CITR is shit. Scraped? Well, that's just embarrassing in general. Riad sucks as a song, but his voice is pretty good. Same for Sorry, although the dracula thing is retarded. Voice pretty good on IRS. "Old man" voice on Madagascar is shit. TIL is like Riad and Sorry. Shit song, voice OK. Prostitute voice sucks. Comes close to ruining the best song on the album. Clean voice during verses sucks. High voice with lack of rasp during choruses sucks.

This sums it up.

Axl sounds like utter shit on Chinese Democracy.

I thought he sounded terrible on Madagascar (in comparison to the 2001 Rio version). I do however like his singing on Better. I think generally he is solid. Out of all of the problems with that album, Axl's singing would not rank very high.

• Like 1