Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **SPOILERS**

Facekicker

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Saw it last night. I like it! But I definitely like force awakens more. 

Force awakens had that nice, warm starwars-y feeling that this movie lacked. But when looking at rogue one entirely on its own, it's still pretty decent.

Funny, I thought this had that OT feel that nothing since has really had...

• Like 2

Did anyone notice they changed a lot from

the trailers? So glad the "I rebel" line was cut. 

Jyn isn't running on the beach with the plans. 

Krennic isn't walking through a battlefield on Scarif. 

The TIE fighter doesn't show up when Jyn is on the tower. 

Jyn, Cassian, and K2SO aren't seen running through the Imperial facility.

I asked my nephew if he saw the Obi Wan image at his first screening, he said he didn't.
I told him when to watch for it, he went the next day and he sent me a message this morning that he saw it.
If you go again, watch for an image of Obi Wan with his hood up and holding his light sabre over his head.
Hint: the image is on its side, and somewhat blended in to a landscape.

The cameo of the "I don't like you either" guy was great.

Thought the appearance of R2 and 3P0 was stupid though.

Maybe I have bad vision, but I thought both Tarkin and Leia were uncanny and well done. I was pretty skeptical too.

Overall, great film. Can't rate it now, will have to rewatch. It was sloppy and rushed getting its foot in the door for the first 20 minutes or so (they cut between nearly four planets in ten minutes, too much going on in too many places) but it very quickly stabilized itself.

The two mains and the droid were great. Although the supporting cast was a little underdeveloped,  and I didn't care all that much that they all die.

I also thought all that shit about it being a "war" movie and in the vein of Saving Private Ryan were way way exaggerated.  Didn't really have any more or less action than a typical SW movie, and none of it was shot like a war movie. It was pretty safe stylistically, which was fine, it felt like Star Wars. The only war movie touches I caught were the Pacific Theatre inspirations, which were pretty heavy handed at the end, especially when they look across the beach at the mushroom cloud.

6 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

Hide contents

The cameo of the "I don't like you either" guy was great.

Thought the appearance of R2 and 3P0 was stupid though.

Maybe I have bad vision, but I thought both Tarkin and Leia were uncanny and well done. I was pretty skeptical too.

Overall, great film. Can't rate it now, will have to rewatch. It was sloppy and rushed getting its foot in the door for the first 20 minutes or so (they cut between nearly four planets in ten minutes, too much going on in too many places) but it very quickly stabilized itself.

The two mains and the droid were great. Although the supporting cast was a little underdeveloped,  and I didn't care all that much that they all die.

I also thought all that shit about it being a "war" movie and in the vein of Saving Private Ryan were way way exaggerated.  Didn't really have any more or less action than a typical SW movie, and none of it was shot like a war movie. It was pretty safe stylistically, which was fine, it felt like Star Wars. The only war movie touches I caught were the Pacific Theatre inspirations, which were pretty heavy handed at the end, especially when they look across the beach at the mushroom cloud.

Tarkin and Leia were great. 

I'm glad R2 and 3PO were in the movie, still only characters to be in every movie, but I think it might have been better to see them in the background on the Tantive IV when the plans are given to Leia. Threepio definitely didn't need a line.

27 minutes ago, Zint said:

I asked my nephew if he saw the Obi Wan image at his first screening, he said he didn't.
I told him when to watch for it, he went the next day and he sent me a message this morning that he saw it.
If you go again, watch for an image of Obi Wan with his hood up and holding his light sabre over his head.

So it's just an Easter egg like the X-Wing and TIE fighter chase on Coruscant in AOTC?

Just now, luciusfunk said:

Hide contents

Tarkin and Leia were great. 

I'm glad R2 and 3PO were in the movie, still only characters to be in every movie, but I think it might have been better to see them in the background on the Tantive IV when the plans are given to Leia. Threepio definitely didn't need a line.

Yeah I didnt mind that they were in the movie necessarily, just that the way it was executed was poor and felt forced

1 hour ago, Zint said:

Do you mean the toppled statue on Jedah? If so I caught that in the final trailer. I don't think it's literally Obi-Wan, just a hooded Jedi.

• Like 1

I don't think the footage of Red Leader and Gold Leader were recycled from A New Hope. I've seen people say it is, but the dialogue doesn't fit. 

I think I just caught an error I've never seen anyone mention in A New Hope. Porkins' callsign is Red Six. After his ship explodes, you can see the people on Yavin 4 ask "Red Six, do you see Red Five?"

17 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

I don't think the footage of Red Leader and Gold Leader were recycled from A New Hope. I've seen people say it is, but the dialogue doesn't fit. 

I think I just caught an error I've never seen anyone mention in A New Hope. Porkins' callsign is Red Six. After his ship explodes, you can see the people on Yavin 4 ask "Red Six, do you see Red Five?"

Pretty sure they were recycled shots from ANH, as Drewe Henley and Angus MacInnes are credited as Red and Gold Leaders, respectively in both films.

I absolutely love it!!! Finally a great Star Wars movie after the original trilogy. I would say for me there is before and after the hologram where the weakness of the Death Star is reveled. After that gets better and better building up to an amazing battle and ending

I may go to see it again :headbang:

So someone help me out with this logic here, and correct me if I'm wrong

So, at the end of Revenge of the Sith, seemingly only a few weeks or months after Anakin gets high grounded into a lava bath and becomes Vader, we see Tarkin, Palpy, and Vadar viewing the construction of the Death Star.

To me this means either one of two things, one, construction of the death star had begun already, in secret, even before Palpy genocides the Jedi and assumes the power of Emperor. Or two, it only took a few weeks or so to get a good 1/4th of the Death Star constructed.

So flash forward to Jyn and Le Chifee. When the Empire comes to kidnap Le Chifee, it seems as though the Empire is at least fairly well established. There's a toy stormtrooper that has a New Hope style visor, and Jyn looks about five or six. At this time we learn the Death Star isn't all the way completed.

Jyn must be about what, 21-25 in Rogue One? Meaning she was likely born right at the end of the Clone Wars, or slightly before. So when Empire man comes to snatch Le Chifee, its likely right after the Clone Wars to the tune of one year or less.

So they managed to get all the work done on the Death Star that we see in Revenge of the Sith in a matter of weeks or months, but then it takes 20 years to finish the rest of it?

This of course, on top of the fact that the Empire threw together a bigger badder Death Star in the short span of time between the end of A New Hope and the beginning of Return of the Jedi.

Obviously this isn't the fault of Rogue One, its the fault of George Lucas for including a shot of a Death Star under construction at the end of RoTS.

Man those prequels ruin everything don't they. [/spoilers]