Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **SPOILERS**

Facekicker

42 minutes ago, DR DOOM said:

Way back in the drafts (or was it novels?) for Empire or ROTJ (one of the two) they talked about Vader's castle, in this place of (if I'm not mistaken) fire and lava.

In the novel of ROTJ ( I think) Obi Wan describes how Vader got fucked up too.

Yeah I did some research. Lucas idea was to show the castle at some point during the original trilogy, but he never did.

4 hours ago, Padme said:

"Suiside mission"? What the hell is the guy smoking? :drevil:   "Undermining the moral certitude of The Rebelion" :facepalm:  

What on earth is he talking about? :no:

Not one clue. This is one of those things where I read it and I thought "Wait. I think I'm dumber having read that"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Not one clue. This is one of those things where I read it and I thought "Wait. I think I'm dumber having read that"

I think he is probably someone jumping the bandwagon. He wrote that bizarre Rogue One review just to get people's attention.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2016 at 5:55 PM, Dan H. said:

Here is my HUGE hangup with the film:

None of the NEW characters or new ideas were interesting. I mean this whole story is something we knew the ending to already. We didn't need this film, its not covering new ground, its just filling in a blank. So really the only way that it would go abive and beyond the gravity of its own restrictions is by having excellent characters, motivations, and emotional connections. The film had pretty mediocre characters, most of whom I found it hard to give a shit about. Cassian and Jyn were "okay" but they never really established a believable connection between the two of them.

Even with Jyn and her father, we only get one scene of them interacting before he dies. We never see him teach her anything valuable, or share any wisdom,  or show us that he's a good person. We are just told that he is, because he is sabotaging the Death Star. That's fine and all but if the writers wanted to elevate the emotional impact of his death, we should have had some flashbacks or something showing us that he is the kind of person who believes in freedom and is anti-empire, rather than just being "told" he is.

A perfect example of the lack of emotional substance was when Forrest Whitaker is in the Temple and everyone is fleeing the Death Star explosion, and he's like "Im not running anymore". First of all, what? Why not? And second, if that was supposed to have an emotional impact on Jyn, it didn't. Everything we know about theit relationship is said in exposition just minutes before he chooses to die for no reason at all. So yeah, sorry Whitaker but who gives a fuck?

It was two hours of Star Wars things that we've already seen, X Wings, Stormtroopers, Vader, Tarkin, AT-AT's, familiar rebel ships, etc etc. Which is fine, the action and visuals saved the film for me, but unfortunately none of this cast was anywhere near as memorable as Finn, Rey, Poe, and BB-8.

Pretty much my thoughts. I watched this back-to-back tonight with Passengers and my vote goes to the latter.

There was nothing terrible about this film, but nothing that would make me go back to it. The only character I cared for was the robot.

On 12/19/2016 at 0:10 PM, Dan H. said:

I don't wanna go back and forth on every point we disagree with, but I wanna mention the Rey thing.

We know where Rey lives, what her job is, what her life is like, what she wants (waiting for someone), how she feels (lonely), and that she has a kind nature, taking in BB-8 and helping Finn escape Jakku. We even know halfway through that she still is compelled to return to Jakku. She has no interest in being a Jedi, or using the Force at first.

Jyn had a dad. We know more about her dad than her.

She was raised by Forest Whitaker then abandoned. That's it.

And we know she was in jail, but we don't know why or what for.

Haha We know Jyn suffered the loss of her mother right in front of her eyes, we know she was basically orphaned and felt her father may have joined the empire, we know Jyn was raised as an extremist and a soldier with Saw Gerrera and we know Jyn is a troubled person who wants nothing to do with the Rebellion anymore because all it's ever caused her was pain. She has lost everything. We know that after she saw the message from her father she realizes the Rebellion / cause/ sacrifice(which was lost on you somehow) is bigger than her and is a cause worth fighting for to honor her parents as well as help citizens of the galaxy.  As for being in jail..... Did you watch the movie or not?  Forgery of Imperial documents, Possession of stolen property, Aggravated Assault, Resisting arrest............ You need to watch the movie again man cause you missed so many blatantly obvious things

6 hours ago, Bono said:

Haha We know Jyn suffered the loss of her mother right in front of her eyes, we know she was basically orphaned and felt her father may have joined the empire, we know Jyn was raised as an extremist and a soldier with Saw Gerrera and we know Jyn is a troubled person who wants nothing to do with the Rebellion anymore because all it's ever caused her was pain. She has lost everything. We know that after she saw the message from her father she realizes the Rebellion / cause/ sacrifice(which was lost on you somehow) is bigger than her and is a cause worth fighting for to honor her parents as well as help citizens of the galaxy.  As for being in jail..... Did you watch the movie or not?  Forgery of Imperial documents, Possession of stolen property, Aggravated Assault, Resisting arrest............ You need to watch the movie again man cause you missed so many blatantly obvious things

I felt that a lot of it was "told and not shown", and what was shown was done in a ham-fisted manner. The few times they wanted us to have a connection with the character felt forced to me. I'd be interested to see what they were going for before the reshoots: http://collider.com/ben-mendelsohn-rogue-one-star-wars-interview/#changes

I avoided the trailers before seeing the film and watching the teaser afterwards, which came out before reshoots had started, I can see quite a few shots that didn't make the film. Of course many of these may have just been alternate takes for the same scene, but it's interesting nonetheless. It's also easy to assume if one didn't like Rogue One that the film was better before the reshoots, but that may not be the case. I hope that, if an alternate cut is not included on a Blu-Ray, that they at least offer a few alternate scenes to be viewed separately on home media.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bono said:

That's fine, but we never see her interact with her mom, or how it has affected her. If the writers don't give us emotion through character, exposition is worthless. Same with Forest Whitaker's character, we get one brief scene of dialogue between them to illustrate what their relationship is, and it is never touched on again. 

Maybe the message between her and her father was an okay motivation for joining the Rebellion, but it felt flimsy to me. Seemed like there was no struggle on her part to accept that she needed to work for the Rebellion. There was no struggle, no emotional conflict, just boring explanations for everything.

The prequels did this as well, basically spoon feeding emotional motivations as though they were just plot points that the writers had to hit, without creating character. They tell the audience what we need to know in the most dry and boring way possible.

The first scene with Cassian (murders the informant in cold blood) is an exception, it echoes the Greedo scene in a New Hope, and shows that our hero is flawed and dangerous. 

If that scene was written like any other in the film, we'd have Mon Mothma or someone else casually mention to Jyn "Cassian is dangerous, he killed an informant, sometimes rebellion calls for dark action for the greater good" in a dialogue scene. It is less dry and matter of fact writing to actually demonstrate these traits through character behavior.

I'm coming at this from a screenwriting perspective. Just sayin' these characters were pretty poor when compared to TFA. Watch the Finn and Poe escape from the Star Destroyer scene in TFA. We get two characters with two very clearly different personalities, demonstrated through action, acting, emotion, AND dialogue. Even the Poe and Rey escape scene in the Millennium Falcon is beautifully executed. Han's fatherly relationship with Rey is another point of excellent character building. We get to see a new side of Han, we are reminded that he is now a father, he isn't the same man as the last time we met him. All that is demonstrated in a simple scene of Han inviting Rey to crew the Falcon, a rare honor. 

• Like 1

On 2016-12-19 at 0:55 PM, Dan H. said:

So after much consideration, I think that The Force Awakens was a much better film than Rogue One.

Here are the things I liked in Rogue One:

Great visuals

Great action

Great work with the new score

I liked the new droid a whole lot

Here is my HUGE hangup with the film:

None of the NEW characters or new ideas were interesting. I mean this whole story is something we knew the ending to already. We didn't need this film, its not covering new ground, its just filling in a blank. So really the only way that it would go abive and beyond the gravity of its own restrictions is by having excellent characters, motivations, and emotional connections. The film had pretty mediocre characters, most of whom I found it hard to give a shit about. Cassian and Jyn were "okay" but they never really established a believable connection between the two of them.

Even with Jyn and her father, we only get one scene of them interacting before he dies. We never see him teach her anything valuable, or share any wisdom,  or show us that he's a good person. We are just told that he is, because he is sabotaging the Death Star. That's fine and all but if the writers wanted to elevate the emotional impact of his death, we should have had some flashbacks or something showing us that he is the kind of person who believes in freedom and is anti-empire, rather than just being "told" he is.

A perfect example of the lack of emotional substance was when Forrest Whitaker is in the Temple and everyone is fleeing the Death Star explosion, and he's like "Im not running anymore". First of all, what? Why not? And second, if that was supposed to have an emotional impact on Jyn, it didn't. Everything we know about theit relationship is said in exposition just minutes before he chooses to die for no reason at all. So yeah, sorry Whitaker but who gives a fuck?

It was two hours of Star Wars things that we've already seen, X Wings, Stormtroopers, Vader, Tarkin, AT-AT's, familiar rebel ships, etc etc. Which is fine, the action and visuals saved the film for me, but unfortunately none of this cast was anywhere near as memorable as Finn, Rey, Poe, and BB-8.

Just getting a chance to read people's responses to the movie and I agree with a lot of this.  

For me, it just didn't tap into the overall narrative arc of the Star Wars saga.  I get that it's not an episodic movie, but it still didn't entertain me as much as TFA did.  I go to see Star Wars movies for jedis, lightsaber battles, and fun action sequences.  I really didn't connect with the characters in this film like I did with TFA.  The robot in R1 was the only character in the movie that brought any level of brevity.  

The other thing the movie lacked was a formidable bad guy.  Sure, it was great to see Vader again, but we never saw any real involvement by him until the last two minutes of the movie.  Krennic was just an ego-driven bureaucrat; nothing interesting nor menacing about him.  

Again, these issues didn't prevent me from enjoying the film for what it is and I would still recommend it to anyone who enjoys the series.  It's a different take and for that I enjoyed it.  But if I to choose between the two films to re-watch, it would definitely be TFA.

Btw, isn't it said or suggested by the Rebels in A New Hope that they discovered a flaw in the Death Star?  Doesn't that contradict the fact that Jyn tells the Rebel council that her father built in the flaw?  Perhaps I'm remembering the scene in A New Hope wrong,. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I wonder what Cushing would think, or what he indeed thinks (if he is up there)? It is indeed a disturbing precedent that has been unleashed here!! We could see Cary Grant and Robert Mitchum reprise their movie careers.

I think it's great! Bring on 37 year old Arnold's CGI and let's get a proper Terminator sequel!