Facekicker

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **SPOILERS**

308 posts in this topic

I saw it just now, its an amazing movie, way more creative and unique than The Force Awakens, I'm not saying that it's better than TFA, but it leaves you thinking why didn't they do a more innovative story for VII, I'm not saying this is the most creative shit ever, but it does expand the SW universe in a more natural way.

And, oh my god that ending...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still up in the air about seeing this tonight. There's so many theaters around me that I can still pull it off tonight if I like. If I don't get to it tonight, I'm definitely going to go tomorrow morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably going to see this tonight

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Probably going to see this tonight

We just bought tickets for 10pm in Livonia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got tickets for tomorrow. Reviews are getting better. We'll see how this goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw it tonight and I can say that it's better than Episode VII (also knows as Star Wars VII - Plot Holes and Map to Living Being) which isn't really hard thing to do and I'm going with short pros and cons as I think it's too early for story talk. Pros: great looking movie, actually makes sense story wise unlike VII, battle scenes are good. Cons: characters are forgettable (writing is bad, not acting), feels like 2 movies in one, it doesn't feel like Star Wars it feels like just another average war sci fi movie, it's not exciting except in like 2 scenes, relies too much on "OH WOW THAT'S A REFERENCE TO EPISODE 4" and it's annoying. All in all I rate it 5/10

Edited by Nicklord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back. Fucking amazing. I mean seriously, that's like everything I've ever wanted out of a Star Wars film. The style of it is great - it really does feel like a WWII film at times, almost to the point that you forget it's a Star Wars film. If it's true that the spinoffs will focus on different types of stories in the Star Wars universe (i.e. Rogue One a war film, Han Solo a western, etc.) then I'm fully on board with the idea, even if some of them do fall flat. It's what the series needs, innovation. The acting was great, writing was mostly good (Though I admit there were some corny lines of dialogue - but would it really be a Star Wars film without that?). Great cinematography as with TFA - some of those shots of the Death Star were among the best in the entire series. The world-building was perfect - showing you enough of these new planets to wow you, but not so much that there's no mystery left. Jedah is legitimately one of the most interesting planets we've seen in any of the films IMO. It wasn't as jarring as I'd expected that John Williams didn't score this one. 

 

Honestly, I'd rank this just behind Empire in my number 2 spot for Star Wars films.

 

Now for the good stuff...

- Holy fuck, that ending. Seeing Vader just go all out was incredibly satisfying, though on a whole I thought he'd be a bit more present in the film. Also, the Leia cameo at the end was great - I had a hunch she may appear, but I thought it was well done.

- Loved K-2SO. Just the right amount of sass for a droid, he reminded me of TARS in Interstellar.

- I thought the amount of fan-service was appropriate, and often subtle enough. I mean, let's be honest - a film that ends literally minutes before ANH can't avoid some of the character crossovers, reference, etc. But the superfluous stuff - the blue milk, the cantina guys on Jedah, etc. all seemed fine to me. Nice little subtle nods to the hardcore fans, that would go totally over the heads of casuals. I admit that the R2/C-3PO cameo felt a little shoehorned, but again it at least made sense for them to be there.

- The space battle at the end was excellent, really had the spirit of the battle above Endor in ROTJ. One of the better space battles in the series IMO.

- A little bone to pick - was Vader's lair on Mustafar? I assume it was, but that was the only planet in the whole film where they didn't give a subtitle saying what it was.

- Not jarring at all not to have an opening crawl - I thought it suited this sort of film well. Likewise I found it interesting that neither on the title card, nor in the credits did it ever actually say Star Wars - they're really trying to push the idea that the Anthology films are a totally different entity from the saga.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Fucking amazing" sums it up nicely.

OK, well... it took 5 attempts to capture the essence of the original trilogy, but Rogue One achieved it beautifully. Not since the first time I saw Episode 4 in the theatre back in the 70's have I felt completely transported into the universe on the screen. It was magical, I loved it.
I feel compelled to at least one more viewing on the big screen.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zint said:

"Fucking amazing" sums it up nicely.

OK, well... it took 5 attempts to capture the essence of the original trilogy, but Rogue One achieved it beautifully. Not since the first time I saw Episode 4 in the theatre back in the 70's have I felt completely transported into the universe on the screen. It was magical, I loved it.
I feel compelled to at least one more viewing on the big screen.

I'm going to see it again at 9:15 AM :lol: 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really wish I could share your happiness about this movie :lol: Gonna try again after bluray comes out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved it. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well good news is friends of mine who tend to have the same views on Star wars as I do say it's fucking amazing.  I hate getting my hopes and expectations up because rarely are they met but it's hard not to anymore. This movie seems to have screened incredibly well. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Just got back. Fucking amazing. I mean seriously, that's like everything I've ever wanted out of a Star Wars film. The style of it is great - it really does feel like a WWII film at times, almost to the point that you forget it's a Star Wars film. If it's true that the spinoffs will focus on different types of stories in the Star Wars universe (i.e. Rogue One a war film, Han Solo a western, etc.) then I'm fully on board with the idea, even if some of them do fall flat. It's what the series needs, innovation. The acting was great, writing was mostly good (Though I admit there were some corny lines of dialogue - but would it really be a Star Wars film without that?). Great cinematography as with TFA - some of those shots of the Death Star were among the best in the entire series. The world-building was perfect - showing you enough of these new planets to wow you, but not so much that there's no mystery left. Jedah is legitimately one of the most interesting planets we've seen in any of the films IMO. It wasn't as jarring as I'd expected that John Williams didn't score this one. 

 

Honestly, I'd rank this just behind Empire in my number 2 spot for Star Wars films.

 

Now for the good stuff...

 

  Hide contents

- Holy fuck, that ending. Seeing Vader just go all out was incredibly satisfying, though on a whole I thought he'd be a bit more present in the film. Also, the Leia cameo at the end was great - I had a hunch she may appear, but I thought it was well done.

- Loved K-2SO. Just the right amount of sass for a droid, he reminded me of TARS in Interstellar.

- I thought the amount of fan-service was appropriate, and often subtle enough. I mean, let's be honest - a film that ends literally minutes before ANH can't avoid some of the character crossovers, reference, etc. But the superfluous stuff - the blue milk, the cantina guys on Jedah, etc. all seemed fine to me. Nice little subtle nods to the hardcore fans, that would go totally over the heads of casuals. I admit that the R2/C-3PO cameo felt a little shoehorned, but again it at least made sense for them to be there.

- The space battle at the end was excellent, really had the spirit of the battle above Endor in ROTJ. One of the better space battles in the series IMO.

- A little bone to pick - was Vader's lair on Mustafar? I assume it was, but that was the only planet in the whole film where they didn't give a subtitle saying what it was.

- Not jarring at all not to have an opening crawl - I thought it suited this sort of film well. Likewise I found it interesting that neither on the title card, nor in the credits did it ever actually say Star Wars - they're really trying to push the idea that the Anthology films are a totally different entity from the saga.

 

 

Totally agree with all your comments, especially regarding some of the more corny dialogue. I was turned off a hair at first, but then thought the same thing you did: what would a SW film be without at least some of that.

Again, I agree with pretty much everything else you said but here's some thoughts:

Spoiler

Vader: YAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS at the bit near the end. My man was like "Sith Lord in the house. Y'all 'bout to get it". It's exactly the scene we've been waiting for involving this bad ass. The only area of concern I had was the pun earlier in the movie. "...choke on your..." I know this could fall under the cheesy dialog thing, but Vader shouldn't be doing cheesy dialog IMO. Not a huge gripe but it did bother me a little.

Couldn't agree more on K2 & the fan service.

Space battle at the end was excellent on many levels. It gives a whole new aspect to look at ANH with if you ask me. You really get an idea of what these people are dealing with and what they're fighting for because of the way this movie ends.

I was wondering if that was Mustafar as well and I'm thinking it is because, like you said, it's the only planet they don't indentify.

Last point I want to discuss with you: Tarkin. What did you think? I thought he little a little off here and there, but then my wife had no idea he was CG so it could be just me being picky. Your thoughts?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Totally agree with all your comments, especially regarding some of the more corny dialogue. I was turned off a hair at first, but then thought the same thing you did: what would a SW film be without at least some of that.

Again, I agree with pretty much everything else you said but here's some thoughts:

  Hide contents

Vader: YAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS at the bit near the end. My man was like "Sith Lord in the house. Y'all 'bout to get it". It's exactly the scene we've been waiting for involving this bad ass. The only area of concern I had was the pun earlier in the movie. "...choke on your..." I know this could fall under the cheesy dialog thing, but Vader shouldn't be doing cheesy dialog IMO. Not a huge gripe but it did bother me a little.

Couldn't agree more on K2 & the fan service.

Space battle at the end was excellent on many levels. It gives a whole new aspect to look at ANH with if you ask me. You really get an idea of what these people are dealing with and what they're fighting for because of the way this movie ends.

I was wondering if that was Mustafar as well and I'm thinking it is because, like you said, it's the only planet they don't indentify.

Last point I want to discuss with you: Tarkin. What did you think? I thought he little a little off here and there, but then my wife had no idea he was CG so it could be just me being picky. Your thoughts?

 

- The choking line is exactly what I meant when I mentioned corny dialogue. I mean, if

that's the biggest misstep in this film, I'll allow it. It just seems so out of character for Vader.

- Regarding the battle and it giving more weight to ANH, I've been reading a lot of that on Reddit. People that went home and watched ANH immediately after Rogue One are saying the opening crawl has a whole new meaning after seeing Rogue One. Even things like, ANH feels smaller in scale, fit perfectly because yeah, half the Rebel fleet was destroyed just minutes earlier.

- I was fine with Tarkin. I know a lot of people didn't like the CGI and thought he was over-used, but I thought it was well-done and he really needed a lot of screen time in this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember what we did with Force Awakens but at some point should we start a spoiler thread as to avoid a thread full of hiding comments. Just an idea but I guess it doesn't really matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bono said:

I don't remember what we did with Force Awakens but at some point should we start a spoiler thread as to avoid a thread full of hiding comments. Just an idea but I guess it doesn't really matter

We had two threads for TFA, but I wasn't sure what to do this time around. I think I'll just add "SPOILERS" to the title so everyone knows not to click on the thread if they haven't seen it yet or don't want it spoiled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah with TFA I got way too excited and read all the spoilers beforehand. With this one I've been avoiding pretty much everything so I'm pumped to see it tonight without knowing much beforehand. Can't wait to come back here later on at night and read all the hidden cments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I do spoiler tags?

I loved the movie, but it has flaws. The main characters were just ok. None were bad imo, but I wish I cared about them more when shit started going bad. My favorite new character was probably Krennic. He was great, loved how he was just a self-serving little weasel. My other favorite characters were... well, one's actor died years ago and they did a great job recreating him and the other only had 2 scenes (but they were amazing).

The third act was fantastic. The action was stellar, and the ending sequence was great. The space battle was really cool, and THAT one scene was everything I wanted. Glad it wasn't longer, as it was already borderline overkill (but in a great way). I also LOVED the world building. It really added to the lore. That was one thing I missed from the prequels. TFA was more "back to the frontier". I also really liked how there were a few direct references to the prequels.

Music was just there, and there was some cheesy parts. This is still a Star Wars movie, and not "Saving Private Ryan" in space like some people wanted, but it did get pretty damn violent during the final battle.

Very solid Star Wars movie!

Edited by ZoSoRose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh! Fun fact, Coruscant is in the movie! Its a blink and you miss it moment

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also liked the Vader line. He is snarky in the originals and makes plenty of silly one liners. It was in character for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

How do I do spoiler tags?

I loved the movie, but it has flaws. The main characters were just ok. None were bad imo, but I wish I cared about them more when shit started going bad. My favorite new character was probably Krennic. He was great, loved how he was just a self-serving little weasel. My other favorite characters were... well, one's actor died years ago and they did a great job recreating him and the other only had 2 scenes (but they were amazing).

The third act was fantastic. The action was stellar, and the ending sequence was great. The space battle was really cool, and THAT one scene was everything I wanted. Glad it wasn't longer, as it was already borderline overkill (but in a great way). I also LOVED the world building. It really added to the lore. That was one thing I missed from the prequels. TFA was more "back to the frontier". I also really liked how there were a few direct references to the prequels.

Music was just there, and there was some cheesy parts. This is still a Star Wars movie, and not "Saving Private Ryan" in space like some people wanted, but it did get pretty damn violent during the final battle.

Very solid Star Wars movie!

Honestly, I feel like the prequels did a better job with world building than TFA for the most part.

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Oh! Fun fact, Coruscant is in the movie! Its a blink and you miss it moment

Where was Coruscant? I saw it again this morning, and still didn't catch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Powerage5 said:

Honestly, I feel like the prequels did a better job with world building than TFA for the most part.

Where was Coruscant? I saw it again this morning, and still didn't catch it.

I agree. World building didn't happen much in TFA, they were all frontier planets.

Jyn and her family live on Coruscant. When she is dreaming of them its on Coruscant, you see the skylines outside their window. So that is 2 prequel planets in the film

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upon first viewing, I put it behind the OT, ahead of the PT and TFA. 

 

I'm guessing Vader's castle was on Vjun like in the EU since it didn't have a subtitle. 

 

Nice to see Red Leader and Gold Leader. Anyone else catch that Red 5 was blown up, leaving room for Luke?

 

Edited by luciusfunk

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

I also liked the Vader line. He is snarky in the originals and makes plenty of silly one liners. It was in character for me

I actually cringed in my seat a little. I'll probably get over it though. 

3 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Upon first viewing, I put it behind the OT, ahead of the PT and TFA. 

 

 

  Hide contents

I'm guessing Vader's castle was on Vjun like in the EU since it didn't have a subtitle. 

 

Nice to see Red Leader and Gold Leader. Anyone else catch that Red 5 was blown up, leaving room for Luke?

 

 

 

Didn't even think about that last point. Great catch! 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.